Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern LA - NY September 5th 2013

14 Oct 2012 SallyGB asked

SallyGB

Recently booked this tour and will be travelling solo, would be great to hear from anyone else going. :)

• 15 Jan 2013 kristyk said

kristyk

No problem kath! haha, Alexis you were on tour with my mate Christian last year, small world hey??

• 19 Jan 2013 kooky said

Default_avatar

hello everyone! i have been looking tonight and im gonna book this tour in the next few days…whoop! im claire from the uk, cant wait! has anyone booked flights yet? who is best/cheapest (ha) to go with and whos flying to LA and how long are you going to stay before joining tour? This is my first time solo travelling so any advice would be awesome! x

• 19 Jan 2013 kooky said

Default_avatar

and has anyone booked new york hotels yet? at the end or are u going to do it closer to the time? im on such a high…just looked tonight and thought id see what i can find and this tour just sounds awesome so ive decided im going! Im from portsmouth in uk so will be flying from london so any other brits want to catch the same flight to LA give me a shout! Just have to fund it now ha….thank god for credit cards!!

• 20 Jan 2013 SallyGB said

SallyGB

Hi Claire i will be flying from Heathrow hopefully on the 3rd Sept not sure if to go BA or Virgin yet. I will be staying before and after in the Cintiki recommended hotels. Travelling solo with contiki is a blast this will be my 3rd trip that i have gone alone and i love it! How long are you thinking of staying in New York after?

• 20 Jan 2013 kooky said

Default_avatar

Hey sally! I was looking at loads of flights last night, STA are cheapest, doing a multistop flight all in including taxes for £550! And that’s non stop with virgin from heathrow, That was leaving on the 2nd sep and leaving new york on the 5th october, was thinking 5th as that’s 4 nights and 5 days in new york which sounds about right?! I’m definitely up for flying out together and back! I was thinking of going to LA on the 2nd to get two full days there? What do you think?

• 20 Jan 2013 kooky said

Default_avatar

Hey sally! I was looking at loads of flights last night, STA are cheapest, doing a multistop flight all in including taxes for £550! And that’s non stop with virgin from heathrow, That was leaving on the 2nd sep and leaving new york on the 5th october, was thinking 5th as that’s 4 nights and 5 days in new york which sounds about right?! I’m definitely up for flying out together and back! I was thinking of going to LA on the 2nd to get two full days there? What do you think? How much were the recomended hotels I will book those aswell I think

• 20 Jan 2013 kooky said

Default_avatar

Hey sally! I was looking at loads of flights last night, STA are cheapest, doing a multistop flight all in including taxes for £550! And that’s non stop with virgin from heathrow, That was leaving on the 2nd sep and leaving new york on the 5th october, was thinking 5th as that’s 4 nights and 5 days in new york which sounds about right?! I’m definitely up for flying out together and back! I was thinking of going to LA on the 2nd to get two full days there? What do you think? How much were the recomended hotels I will book those aswell I think

• 20 Jan 2013 kristyk said

kristyk

hi claire, im kristy nice to meet you, im travelling with my mate kath on this tour and were from australia, we are going to be in la from 4th sep as were doing san fran before la. ive travelled abit, main advice is pack light, save lots and always have backup $$ for emergencies etc etc, i never been to the u.s but few mates have a loved it. ny were are looking into apartments and hotels,apartments are cheapier though. im doing the grand northern after the southern so il be in ny from 30th sept-3rd oct.

• 20 Jan 2013 kooky said

Default_avatar

hey kristy! Luckily im no stranger to travelling, ive backpacked euorpe twice and have stayed in so many hostels over the years! thanks for the advice, i dont know weather to bring my backpack or take a suitcase seeing as im not jumping on crazy overnight trains around europe every few days this time! Thats awesome u are doing the grand northern! i think i might stay in new york untill the 5th..its the one place ive always dreamt of going! im not going to book the recommended hotel on here for NY…its so expensive! Id be up for sharing a apartment in NY to cut costs down, i have asked sally what shes thinking about new york too…,maybe we can sort something out together! x

• 20 Jan 2013 Alexis said

Default_avatar

Hi Claire! I’m from bournemouth so we are literally an hour drive away from each other! Small world!

• 20 Jan 2013 kooky said

Default_avatar

hey alexis! hows u? yeah that is mad ha! when are you flying out to LA? are u staying in new york after? im so excited, ive backpacked europe with friends before but this is my first solo trip…going to be amazing!

Default_avatar

Not sure, Haven’t booked the flights yet but was planning on doing a few nights in San Diego before LA… When are you flying in? Have you booked the hotel in LA yet? I won’t be going to NYC because I’m only doing the southern adventure half of the tour so will be getting off the tour in New Orleans then going on to Nashville. Need to sort out flights! Last time I went with BA but they weren’t that great…

• 20 Jan 2013 kristyk said

kristyk

i so sorry claire i read it as this was your first trip not first trip solo, haha, sounds good, i have a mate meeting us in ny whos doing the northern, just not sure what dates shes arriving though, but all sounds good.

• 20 Jan 2013 kooky said

Default_avatar

i was going to fly into LA on 2nd or 3rd of sep probably, and stay in the hotel contiki have suggested, the hilton is it? i have looked at flights for hours lol and it seems that STA are the cheapest, virgin following a close second, expedia and opodo only have a few pounds difference to virgin too. i will prob book with STA seeing as its a virgin flight. i would love to do san diego too and then greyhound it up to LA but i havent saved hardly anything for this trip seeing as i decdided i was doing it last night lol!

Default_avatar

Aw you should, San Diego shouldn’t be too expensive, I was just planning on finding a cheap hostel or something?

Default_avatar

Aw you should, San Diego shouldn’t be too expensive, I was just planning on finding a cheap hostel or something?

• 21 Jan 2013 kristyk said

kristyk

i booked my flights today yay!! so more excited now ive got my flights.

• 28 Jan 2013 kristyk said

kristyk

Hey everyone, ive tried to add everyone on fb so if you have a friend request.its from mr : )

• 11 Feb 2013 kelly_m said

kelly_m

hey girls, i just thought i’d add into this discussion, even though I’m already in the fb group lol. 205 days until departure! :)

• 28 Feb 2013 Dave said

Dave

Hi girls :) I’m Dave I’ve booked onto this trip ! very excited! i did the southern adventure last december was amazing so looking forward to doing it from coast to coast this time!, ill be in LA from the 3rd after finishing another contiki, i went to disneyland last time and it was AMAZING!!! you won’t be disappointed!! ,

hope to talk with you all soon :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.