Community_discussions_small  

Question

Best way to take money?

15 Oct 2012 nursetabs asked

nursetabs

Hi All,
I'll be travelling on the European Escapade and Best of Russia tours next year so will need about 4 different currencies with me. Can anybody a suggest a good travel card I could load my money onto or should I stick with my debit card? Credit cards are not an option for me so hence the question.
Thanks!

• 15 Dec 2012 Christian Pansini said

Default_avatar

Try any of the banks (preferably the one you’re with). When I went to France (earlier in 2012), I used a travelers money card, which can store up to 6 different currencies on them (though I only needed the one currency!). Very useful things!

• 15 Dec 2012 nursetabs said

nursetabs

Which card did you take? Did you have many fees with it? Ive looked at all the banks and I still cant figure out who to go with

• 17 Dec 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

Don’t use your debit card. You get charged the the moon when you use it over seas. Definitely look into travel cards

• 29 Dec 2012 mel said

Default_avatar

hey. when i went travelling earlier this year i took a Travlex card (australia should have the same card) loaded with euros onto it. it was a 2% fee to load the money on and cost $5nzd each time cash withdraw, I then used cash and my visa for all other countries, my visa had less fees than my debit card. My westpac debit had the same 2% transfer rate wile overseas but the cash withdraw was$9nzd. Most places you will need cash and upfront to give your tour manager on the first few days for the optionals.

• 29 Dec 2012 Joel said

Joel

Commonealth Bank have a really good travel card. http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/international/travel-money-card.html

• 14 Feb 2013 Awhina said

Default_avatar

Thanks Joel I was wondering if CBA’s travel card was any good!

• 14 Feb 2013 Ell said

Ell

I’ve used the commonwealth one the last two years I’ve travelled and it’s not bad but there are ATM fees.. so now I’ve changed to the Cash passport card which doesn’t have ATM fees and is pretty much the same in every other way.. plus I’ve heard some pretty good reviews about them and that they’re really quick at replacing lost of stolen cards and very helpful!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion