Community_discussions_small  

Comment

London Tube

10 Mar 2010 Lyns said

Default_avatar
Hey

Im wondering if anyone can help me regarding the London Tube??
Im arriving in June and my flight doesnt get in until about 8:30pm.
Just wondering if there is many people that get the tube at that time of night and if it is safe??
Any advice would be great!
Thanks
  • 11 Mar 2010 Wez said

Wez

Hi Lyns & Becstar,
    Take it from someone who has traveled the tube hundreds of times, It’s definitely safe at that time of the night and it will be surprisingly busy, especially when you get closer to central London which is where you will get off.

It’s by far the cheapest way to get from the airport to Russel Square and closes at about 12am.

Honestly I wouldn’t worry and jsut be happy you not arriving during rush hour which is chaos Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 11 Mar 2010 Steph said

Default_avatar

I would agree with Wez. There are plenty of people on the tube in the evening. I have taken it several times after 8:30 and felt very safe. Once you get off the tube at Russell Square the hotel is right around the corner and very easy to find.
    There is an elevator at the Russell Square station, I recommend taking that to street level vs. the stairs.

• 14 Mar 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

When I did my Euro Discovery tour too many years ago (OMG, 5 years) my flight got in at 8pm. It probably took me an hour or so to get through customs and get my bags and all that stuff. The tube was busy, but not full or packed and it felt totally safe.

• 15 Mar 2010 Rachy said

Default_avatar

Hi Lyns

What day are you arriving? I’m arriving on the 15th at 8:30pm and travelling on my own so am a little worried too

• 16 Mar 2010 littlegremlin82 said

Default_avatar

I got the tube that late when I travelled two years ago. In my experience, it was easy to find to catch, very very cheap compared to other transfers, and not too crowded when you got on (because the airport is the first and second stop). It gets HEAPS busier as you get closer to town. I’d suggest getting a seat near a door and keeping your luggage close, so that you can get out even if it gets busy.

Don’t worry, its safe, secure, and Londoners are always happy to help if you smile and are polite.

• 16 Mar 2010 Lyns said

Default_avatar

thanks heaps for all the great advice!!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    I feel alot more at ease now!!

and explorer 1165957 i arrive in London on the 3rd June!

• 16 Mar 2010 Wez said

Wez

Be glad you not arriving at rush hour, you don’t want to be carrying luggage through thousands of people then. After 8 is perfect Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

And as mentioned above, do yourself a favour and don’t take the stairs at Russel Square station! Unless you training for a marathon or iron man Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 16 Mar 2010 Lyns said

Default_avatar

Hey Becstar

Yeah im also flying out of Sydney.. at 6am Frowner<!--graemlin::(--> lol
    What tour are you doing??

and Wez i will definately have to remember to take the elevator Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 16 Mar 2010 stacey13 said

stacey13

I’ve got a similar question!
    I’m supposed to take the tube to Heathrow after my tour, and my flight leaves at noon, meaning I should be at Heathrow at like, 9. So, this means I’ll be getting on the tube at like, 7 or 7:30.
    Apparently this is morning rush hour time… Will I have difficulty getting on the tube or getting off when I’m supposed to?

• 17 Mar 2010 Lyns said

Default_avatar

Yeah im flying with Emirates too Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Im doing the European Escapade departing on the 5th June. And doing the 3 day London explorer before hand!!

• 17 Mar 2010 Wez said

Wez
    quote:
    Originally posted by staaacey.:
    I’ve got a similar question!
    I’m supposed to take the tube to Heathrow after my tour, and my flight leaves at noon, meaning I should be at Heathrow at like, 9. So, this means I’ll be getting on the tube at like, 7 or 7:30.
    Apparently this is morning rush hour time… Will I have difficulty getting on the tube or getting off when I’m supposed to?

Staaacey, rush hour is extremely busy on the tubes so make sure you give yourself extra time. I would say the tube trip from Russel square to Heathrow usually takes 40 minutes so maybe give yourself another half hour as well.

Just be very pushy in the station and when you get onto the Heathrow bound tube you sorted, the tube will prob get less packed as you head out of London central.

But hey, rush hour tubes are all apart of the London experience, it’s definitely survivable Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 26 Mar 2010 Cianeckford said

Cianeckford

Hi,

I’m doing a trip in June around the UK on the 25th, travelling solo arriving in at about 6.30pm, is this clsoe to rush hour?
    Also is it easy to idetify the right train going in and out of Russel Square.

Cheers
    Cian

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion