Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Backpack/Luggage Size for Europe (18 Day trip)

8 May 2007 Canadian bAbY GiRL said

Default_avatar
Hi All,

My trip on the European Encounter is getting close now (June) and I'm getting nervous! I'm worried about taking the right items. I have 2 questions:

1. When it says luggage no more than 40lbs is that only when we first arrive to start the trip or is that throughout? (Not that I will have 70lbs or anything, but I may have 45lbs after picking up things along the way)

2. What size backpack is recommended? A standard school backpack that would hold maybe 4 textbooks or would a smaller sized day bag be better than a full backpack? I'm not sure how much "stuff" we would need to carry with us through the daytrips (coats, water, food, camera, etc.)

Thanks very much!

Canadian bAbY GiRL
  • 10 May 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

The weight restriction is for the start of your tour only. All bags at the start of EU trips are weighed and you must come in under the limit otherwise they will make you take stuff out and leave it behind! PACK LIGHT!

June is going to be summer in Europe so I’m not sure you’re going to need to carry a coat around, a small cardigan maybe, just in case. On top of that you will have your wallet, passport, camera and yep, probably some water.

Backpacks are good for lugging stuff around but they’re not so good when it comes to pickpockets. I’d be a bit weary of taking one around myself. I’ve used a shoulder type bag in the past which hangs/sits in front of you and thought that was great because I had my eye on it at all times! Size wise, have a look around your local travel shops and just find something that will hold those few items comfortably so that you’re not taking anything that is way too big or really too small.

Good luck and have fun!

• 11 May 2007 PeelGirl said

Default_avatar

Hey Canadian girl. Thats a good question about the backpack. I actually went to one of those bag stores at a mall like access or whatever and got myself a small leather bag. It is really cute and plus the lasy at the store was europeon so she told it is perfect for Rome. Because there is a zipper at the front of the bag and the back where you can put your passport and CCs etc.

Also as a follow up to your question. What kind of carry on would you guys recommend on the flight there and back? A backpack or something you can hold.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.