Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Checking in late night at Royal National help!

20 May 2008 Luke101 said

Default_avatar
Hey Im going to be arriving at the RN probs about 2am do they have facilitys to check in at that time? The room will be ready as it is booked from the day before, just wanted to know if there would be someone there to allow us to check in???
  • 20 May 2008 Explorer1098701 said

Default_avatar

Hey Luke, I was wondering the same thing. Flight arrives at Heathrow shortly before 10 pm, so it will definitely be midnight or well after by the time I arrive at the RN. I’m sure it’ll be no problem, but if someone has the details…..???

• 20 May 2008 MeganSD said

MeganSD

Also someone asked this in another topic but there was no answer. Does anyone know if your roomate is the same every night for the check out London package @ the Royal National or do you get someone different every night depending on how long they are staying? Be a little freaked out at finding someone different each time you went into your room! And do you all get your own keys?

• 20 May 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Royal National is a massive hotel (1630 rooms) so chances are the front desk is staffed 24/7. Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

Your roommate for the Check out London package will probably be someone from your tour as well.

Only 1 key per room is provided at both the Royal National and Imperial hotels.

- Vic

• 20 May 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

You should definitely be able to check in at that time – there should be a night porter/concierge to help you with that.

You’ll probably have to get a shuttle or cab though because there won’t be any buses/trains running at that time of the night. Not sure if the shuttles will either; maybe look into private car companies – it’s going to be expensive but it’s also probably going to be the only way to get there.

Megan – I think the RN would try and pair you with someone who is in the same boat, ie: needing a share room for 3-4 days so your roommate won’t change but, obviously, that might not always be the case.

The RN only issues one key per room. You have to leave the key at the counter when you leave in the morning and collect it again at night. If it’s not there then there should be someone in the room to let you know.

I would lock my suitcase if I was you, just in case. You don’t know who your roommate will so don’t leave anything valuable in plain site.

• 21 May 2008 Vashnie said

Vashnie

Hi ptooma and PinaI.
    Can we please have the final say on the keys for Royal National. Does each person get their own key of is it 1 key per room.

• 21 May 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Pina is correct. The RN only provides 1 key per room.

- Vic

• 21 May 2008 VanessaK said

VanessaK

So since the RN only gives out one key, and I don’t plan on being in my room too much while I’m in London, should I just get a room at the Imperial?

• 21 May 2008 Sherbie Woo said

Sherbie Woo

If we are going as a couple, does that mean we’d have a roommate as well? How does that work?

• 21 May 2008 MeganSD said

MeganSD

Ok, so if there is only one key what happens for the late arrivals? Say they check in at midnight, go up to their room and can’t get in because their roomate is asleep? will reception be able to get them in? The dropping off the key at reception thing is fine if everyone is arriving at the same time…. Did anyone have a problem with this system or did it all work out ok? just trying to cover all the bases.

MeganSD
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sherbie Woo:
    If we are going as a couple, does that mean we’d have a roommate as well? How does that work?

I think it depends whether or not you’ve booked twin or triple share.

• 21 May 2008 Luke101 said

Default_avatar

FYI.
    I e-mailed RN check in is 24 hours

MeganSD

I don’t know but I’d like to if anyone knows Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> It would suck if you couldn’t get in Confused<!--graemlin::confused:--> But then again it would be a pain having to prop the door open so you could run the key back down- also not very good security wise! I’m so used to Aussie hotels where you normally get 2 of those door key card things which is super handy if one person wants an early night and the other wants a late one.

• 21 May 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

VanessaK – it’s ultimately up to you but personally I would just leave the key at reception when you leave your room in the morning and pick it back up when you get in at night. If the key isn’t there then, odds are, there’s a roomate in your room and they’ll be able to let you in.

Sherbie Woo – if you booked as twin share there will be no one else in your room.

MeganSD – I got to the hotel very early morning and they had allocated me a room with no one in it. They are a pretty big hotel; I think that if you get there really late or really early they would probably check you into your own room so you don’t disturb anyone. If they don’t and there is someone in your room who won’t wake up then yes, the hotel will open the door for you. There’s no problem with the key thing, it works fine.

OffToSeeTheWorld – no, are you for real?! Re-read what you wrote; that’s just silly! If you are in the room the key stays with you. If your roommate comes back and the key is not at reception they will know you’re in the room and, if they knock, you can let them in! You don’t take it back down again!

MeganSD

Thanks for that! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Just wanted to double check everything (what did the previous generation of travellers do before internet forums? would have really been a jump off the deep end!).Good to know the key thing is not a problem.

• 21 May 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

I had a late arrival at the Imperial when I went a couple years ago, around 10pm. I had a single room so i didn’t have to worry about a roommate. I called called contiki so they could notify them that i would be late, but they said it wouldn’t be a problem since the room was reserved for me.

• 21 May 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

I arrived in London at like 5am.I couldn’t get into my room until 11am and my room mate arrived a few hours later-I was in the room so the hotel staff let her in.Was a bit wierd but as others have said it works fine!Besides with handing the key in you aren’t going to lose it(it’s on a big metal peice anyway so it’s not an option).

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion