Community_discussions_small  

Comment

North vs South Islands

26 Oct 2009 Jessica said

Jessica
Hi going to New Zealand in January. Trying to decide whether to tour the North island the SOuth Island or would maybe do both!!!!! Any opinions on what is more worthwhile?????? Cool
  • 6 Nov 2009 rach2308 said

rach2308

Hey… Do both as they are so different from each other. Eg: North Island full beaches North of Auckland are amazing, Auckland city is great to vist, Country side is so divere between the two. South Island can actually be warmer than the north, dont ask me why but thats usually the case. Weather is pretty diverse but warm during the Jan/Feb months. South Island has lots of beautiful walking tracts ect. Taupo great for tourists ect, so is Rotorua there in the North Island and pretty close togther…. Hm hope that helps Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 8 Dec 2009 Pippa said

Pippa

Definitely do both. Queenstown is awesome!

• 22 Dec 2009 Kim B. said

Kim B.

Do both. The north island has more tropical vegetation. The south is full of mountains and glaciers.

• 9 Jun 2010 kimmy said

Default_avatar

they are both super different. to get a rounded visit of nz you really need to do both

• 10 Jul 2010 Kas said

Default_avatar

Hey there!

I did the Northern Highlights and my biggest regret is not doing both the north and the south island… the tour of NZ is so fantastic you really need to do both the North and the South…

• 21 Jul 2010 chaebee said

Default_avatar

Hi!

I’ve just come back from my Grand Explorer tour.
    In my opinion definatley do both islands, as well as the bay of islands leg.

That first night is when everyone really bonds together so if you come any time after that it may be a bit more difficult to slot yourself into the group (especially if you join the tour on the South Island).

Some of the people on my tour only did the North Island and they were really disappointed they were leaving so early. The whole last day of the North Island tour is pretty much spent on the ferry between the tour islands and then a good few hours spent travelling to Christchurch.

Also, as other people have said here, you get a fantastic view of the NZ landscape doing both. It is a stunning country.

• 22 Jul 2010 sammy29 said

sammy29

Im doing the Grand Explorer in January 2011 with a friend.
    We decided on this tour because we figured we should do all of NZ while we are there and that way we wont miss out on anything!!!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion