Community_discussions_small  

Comment

motion sickness fear

20 Oct 2008 Explorer1114956 said

Default_avatar
Hi

I am hoping to hear from anyone who has travelled to the Swiss Alps and who may regularly suffer from car sickness.
I am currently looking into which tour to do now, but most of them seem to go to Swiss Alps. I fear that if i choose a tour that goes there I will spend those days being too sick to lift my head instead of being able to enjoy the experience.
Is there anyone out there who has made it to the alps and can you tell me if it is really really windy in the moutain area, did you get car sick and do you think a regular sickie would be able to handle it??
Would love any feedback at all.
Thanks heaps.
  • 20 Oct 2008 CatherineOz said

Default_avatar

i suffer from motion sickness and recently (september) did a tour that included teh swiss alps. On travel days I took motion sickness tablets and didn’t have a problem. On the day we went up jungfrau (you don’t actually stay up on the mountain, you’re at teh foot of it) Some of us (those who get motion sickness and those who don’t) did get a little short of breath and find we had to slow down at times, and a brief headache but were otherwise fine. We were warned about altitude sickness before we went up by our TM and told there isn’t alot you can do other than go back down the mountain.

I didn’t find it to windy, except maybe at the top of teh mountain it was snowing quite hevily and if you went outside and turned the wrong way so much snow would get blown in your face you couldn’t see, but it wasn’t strong enough to blow people around.

I think you should give it a go. Just remember, going up the mountain is an optional extra, you don’t have to do it.

And be advised particularly if your tour goes to the french rivier, there are alot of windy roads.

• 21 Oct 2008 CatherineOz said

Default_avatar

If the wrist bands work for you I’d say use them, nicer than taking tablets all the time. But if you haven’t used them before I’d trial them before you go, as personally they don’t work for me. i’ve tried a few different things and tablets is the only thing that helps.

• 21 Oct 2008 teachergeek said

teachergeek

Some people also find that Ginger Tablets work, so if you don’t like taking perscription meds, they’re a more natural way to go. I used them and found they work well for a “normal” bus ride, but still needed a stronger won for sea trips (boats) and windy bus trips.

• 21 Oct 2008 said

Default_avatar

Some tours stay up on Mt. Pilatus, one of the friends I met on tour had problems with both heights and motion sickness, She only really had troubles going up the mountain on the tram(and coming down, naturally lol) but she said overall Switzerland was a lot easyer of a drive then she had though.
    She did however take meds on a daily basis, ontop of that you might want to look at taking something on the ferry from England to France, as the seas are a bit choppy, and the girl from about on the way back didnt have any meds left and had a bit of a rough time, kinda picked a chair out and didnt move for the whole trip.

• 28 Feb 2009 MJ said

Default_avatar

I get motion sickness bad. Use to get sick on the swing sets. LOL But I have a perscription from my doctor of Meclazine which works really welll. the other I use to use was Bonine which you can get at your local walmart/walgreens type store/pharmacy. Take it before you go on your trip if its something new just to make sure you don’t have a reaction to it. That would be bad while on vacation to take something new and have a reaction.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.