Community_discussions_small  

Question

EUROPE: Winter or Summer?!

23 Oct 2012 Laura asked

Default_avatar

Alright guys, so I'm currently in grade 11 and I'm planning to go to europe after I graduate next year on a contiki tour! I know it's early but I'm going to start saving ahhaa.

SO! Im really keen to go soon after I graduate but it will be winter in europe then! So I'm not sure whether I should wait till spring or summer?? Any advice from any of you who have already been!!!

Thanks!

• 30 Oct 2012 Caitlyn said

Caitlyn

it depends what you like. summer or winter. i am not a fan of cold weather, and most parts of europe are known to be cold in even summer months, so in winter it snows and is super cold. but i have a heap of friends who love the snow. in summer you can go on trips that take you to the greek islands and spain and all those summery beach places and not to mention, warmer temperatures and less rain is always a more pleasant environment to sight see in. Winter its cold, rainy and windy and you have to rug up. saying this, i am going on a tour in winter soon. but only because i am off to uni next year and wanted to go this year in june/july but didnt have enough money in the end. with all the snow europe is said to be a winter wonderland and really beautiful during winter, but most days will probably be rainy, cold and just not pleasant. im still really excited but i do wish i had organised to go in summer. hope that helps.

• 3 Nov 2012 ldodsy said

ldodsy

Like Caitlyn said it is completely up to if you like winter or summer, I have lived in Europe so have experienced the two seasons and it does get cold in winter, with summer it really depends on where you are to what the weather will be like.
    experiencing a winter in Europe is completely different – well it is from Australia where I live but I still had a great time even though there were days were I thought my feet would never be dry! I lived in Stuttgart (germany) and spent Australia day rugged up to the high heavens as we crossed across the town to head ot another pub to celebrate every single person I met who was Australian that day we all laugehd due to the fact it was completely different from our ‘normal’ australia day.
    If you can handle the cold weather and don’t hate snow then go during winter – with europe no matter when you go you will have a blast!
    We went Ice Skating in amsterdam during winter, it was snowing and had the best time.
    So you mainly need to work out if you want to be there for winter or summer, both seasons are great over there.
    during the summer months you are mainly looking around high 20’s C for Europe maybe a little warmer, though there are parts in Europe that can get hotter especially when a heat wave hits.
    Your trip will be what you make of it, if you go in with the attitude the weather is going to suck then you are not going to have a great time.
    If you have any other questions just ask, also read the reviews of the different trips both summer and winter to see what other people have said.

• 12 Nov 2012 Jadezie said

Default_avatar

I have lived in Europe for 10 years and I am also in the tourism industry.
    If you are planning to go to Europe around Jul/AugI must warn you that this is high season for Europe. Unless you get the early bird specials (booked a year in advance) you’ll find the prices for airfare and accommodation will be very high. December is also peak season as lot of people are travelling over the Christmas period. Also remember that school summer holidays in Europe are in July-beginning Sep. Also the major tourist destinations in Europe will have a lot of crowds.

That being said, I went to Europe in June/July. I managed to get one of those early bird specials. It cost me AUD1600 inc taxes to fly to the UK. Although it is busy, Contiki do a fantastic job at making sure you see as much as possible. They have pre-booked guided tours, activities and accommodation. In some cases (not all) you’ll get to skip the lines to attractions. There will be lines but their not too bad. I’ve waited longer in lines for nightclubs in Australia.

If you want to brave the cold then by all means do a winter tour. Unfortunately there isn’t always snow in Europe (if you want snow make sure you go to the Alps) Be prepared to pack really thick clothes and an umbrella. If you want to go to the Greek Islands then winter is out of the question as it shuts down during winter.

I think September would be a safe time to go. The weather is still warm, but not too hot. Kids are back at school. It is the end of the high peak season so prices are reduced.

I hope this helped. I’m sorry to have some negative points in my post but I hope it helps you to make a decision. There are pros and cons to any time you decide to go. Choose a time that works for your budget. Also think about what you really want to do while your there.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion