Community_discussions_small  

Question

Reefs and Rainforests Cairns or Sydney?

3 Mar 2008 Sony_Mouse asked

Default_avatar
I'm going on the Reefs and Rainforests in April and can't decide between Cairns or Sydney. I've heard one person say it you would not meet as many people starting in cairns as everyone drops out on the journey to sydney??

Anyone have on an opinion on where to start?
  • 3 Mar 2008 said

Default_avatar

You don’t lose that many people, the only ones you lose are from different tours. So you have the Cairns Sunshine Trail they would drop out. There was only like 5 people in total that dropped out of our tour and I went on the 16 day reefs and rainforest which is almost the same thing. So I wouldn’t be too worried about that. Either way you will not get that much time in sydney, unless you book yourself to have more time there, and if that’s the case. I suggest starting in Cairns so you have more time in Sydney at the end of your trip. Also, less stop overs on the way home if you start in Cairns.

Trina

• 3 Mar 2008 gracesc said

Default_avatar

I did R & R starting in Cairns & liked it that way as you start with a small group for two days before you head back to Cairns and the beaches & reefs group joins up with you. Being a slightly reserved person, it was nice to get to get to know 10 or 12 people to start before the group swelled to 48-55. I think it depends on how long you’re planning to stay after..if it’s only a couple of days, ending in Sydney would be good (major airport). If I had more time at the end of my tour, I think I would have ended in Cairns..places to party, spend more time going to the great barrier reef, etc. Hope this helps!

• 10 Mar 2008 Jus said

Default_avatar

im having the same problem too. where to start? i dont want to be the one that jumps onto a new tour as i did that in n.z and it sucked as everyone had stories that i couldnt join in on and had there little cliques formed. still had the best time ever, but it would be nice to be there from the start. tough tough decision. plus i want to be there for new year. so my decision is also dependent on being in surfers for new year or cairns. which would be better?

• 10 Mar 2008 said

Default_avatar

I think no matter what you do you will have people who will know eachother because on my tour we had the 12 people in the rainforest that we could get to know but 5 out of those 12 people were only doing the rainforest, but when we joined with other groups lots of the people were doing the Aussie explorer joining our group. So the only way to get to know people from the start is to do the Aussie Explorer so if you don’t you will run into the “clique problem” trust me i did. Also, keep in mind you make stories along the way you could talk about it will just be difficult at the beginning.

Trina

• 11 Mar 2008 Dave said

Default_avatar

Hi Trina K, I read many of your articles on the message board and I want to thank you for all of your helpful advice. There was a question that came to mind, which I hope you could answer. I am booked for the Coast and Whitsundays tour (reverse) for Sept 2008. So, I obviously, won’t be starting from the beginning. But the timing of this tour works perfectly with my vacation time at work. I signed up for the quad sharing room. Does the hotel provide each of the four people their own keys? In the event there days we all go separate ways, it would be convenient to come and go into the hotel room as often as we like. Also, in the event we have some All Nighter Party Animals, are there places they normally hang out, so the people that want to sleep may do so?

quote:
    Originally posted by Trina K.:
    I think no matter what you do you will have people who will know eachother because on my tour we had the 12 people in the rainforest that we could get to know but 5 out of those 12 people were only doing the rainforest, but when we joined with other groups lots of the people were doing the Aussie explorer joining our group. So the only way to get to know people from the start is to do the Aussie Explorer so if you don’t you will run into the “clique problem” trust me i did. Also, keep in mind you make stories along the way you could talk about it will just be difficult at the beginning.

Trina

• 12 Mar 2008 said

Default_avatar

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, very few hotels give 4 keys. I know the Whitsunday resort will only provide 2 if I recall. In Fraser Island I believe you only get two as well. In the homestead or farmstay you don’t get a key lol, it’s more of a dormatory set up. Surfer’s paradise I believe only two. I’m not sure in sydney because you have to pay extra to stay longer. I hope this is helpful. As for the all night partiers all I can suggest is you have a choice in who you bunk with. So try to pick people you know won’t party all night because I know when I was on tour that was a problem with a few people doing all nighters. I didn’t have a problem because I booked a twin share with my friend so i didn’t have to worry about it. Hope this helps if you need any more clarification just post.

Trina

• 12 Mar 2008 Dave said

Default_avatar

Hey Trina, thanks again for your helpful advice. You mentioned that the travelers may pick their own roomates. When I arrive in Whitsundays, I won’t know anyone. Will my roomates be preplanned upon my arrival? Also, since only two keys are distributed per room, is it typical that everybody returns the keys to the front desk when they go out and retain it when they return to the hotel? I would hate to be locked out of my room and not be able to locate my roomates.

quote:
    Originally posted by Trina K.:
    Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, very few hotels give 4 keys. I know the Whitsunday resort will only provide 2 if I recall. In Fraser Island I believe you only get two as well. In the homestead or farmstay you don’t get a key lol, it’s more of a dormatory set up. Surfer’s paradise I believe only two. I’m not sure in sydney because you have to pay extra to stay longer. I hope this is helpful. As for the all night partiers all I can suggest is you have a choice in who you bunk with. So try to pick people you know won’t party all night because I know when I was on tour that was a problem with a few people doing all nighters. I didn’t have a problem because I booked a twin share with my friend so i didn’t have to worry about it. Hope this helps if you need any more clarification just post.

Trina

• 12 Mar 2008 said

Default_avatar

Hi Dave,

At first you will be given the roomates, but after the first stop you pick. So in Whitsunday you will have to deal with what you get, but after that you choose. As far as the keys being at the front desk, I don’t believe they do that. What you would do is make sure you know who has the key. That way if you need to get in, then all you have to do is find them. Or just try to have control over one of the keys. But just making sure all 4 of you know who has the key is important. Trust me the key problem was never a problem on our tour. They might be partiers but they are respectful!

Trina

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.