Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Traveler's cheques/cash

2 Jun 2010 Yvonnechick said

Yvonnechick
Are travelers cheques easy to exchange, use?
Is it better to bring cash then travelers cheques?
  • 2 Jun 2010 coolspot said

Default_avatar

Bring 1 or 2 credit cards, cash, and a debit card. If you run out of cash, you can withdraw more at an ATM (some banks have free withdrawal plans with their European counterparts, check if your bank offers that service).

You may want a couple travelers cheques for emergencies, but for regular use, they’re a hassle.

• 3 Jun 2010 Ali_jetsetter said

Default_avatar

Travelex (and some banks, etc) male these nice little travel passports. They’re a basically a pre-paid visa debit card which you can use anywhere (in shops like a credit card or at atm’s to get cash). You can refill them as you need from your bank account via bpay (if you’re australian?) and they give you a back up card to keep in you luggage if you misplace one.
    Cash is very risky and expensive to change due to fees/ exchange rates and travellers cheques are a thing of the past (and tricky to change outside of the cities).

You can also get these travelex cards commission free with contiki perks once you’ve checked in.

• 12 Jun 2010 Pirate Tara said

Default_avatar

I wouldn’t use traveler’s checks. I would bring a credit card and a debit card with you and use the credit card for purchases, then just take money out from ATMs. This is safer and very easy.

• 13 Jun 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

My bank does not charge me for travelers cheques. What I do is I take a little bit of money on travelers cheques that I will have incase of emergency. If no emergency comes up then I just deposit it into the bank when I get home.

Otherwise I use mostly my ATM card and then my credit card for bigger purchases.

• 13 Jun 2010 James K said

James K

Travelex cash passport is the way to go!!!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.