Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Money - Cash or travellers cheques

5 May 2009 Nicola said

Nicola
Hey

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the cash vs.travllers cheques decision.

When I travelled before to both Canada and Oz I always took cash and strapped it to me in a money belt, which towards the begining of the trip was not all that flattering, and got uncomfy when it was hot. As I think (and hope!) California in June is gonna be hotI thought about taking travellers cheques instead. However, does anyone know how easy they are to use? Do shops in the states accept them or do you alwasy have to cash them at a bank?

Thanks
  • 5 May 2009 Pervy said

Pervy

The people who took travellers cheques had no problem using them in shops. No need to cash at banks and I also think they cashed them at the hotels we stayed at.

• 5 May 2009 HD1712 said

HD1712

I took the cash passport card preloaded with US Dollars not a problem in the world so much easier then carrying cards or cheques it’s just a visa card loaded with your own money.

• 6 May 2009 Cassie said

Default_avatar

Hi Heather how did u find it getting money out. im looking at using the card while im in the states in Sept and Oct

• 20 May 2009 Connie said

Connie

Hi, I live in Toronto, you’re better off with a Debit/Interac card. Check with your bank at home to see if they have an international alliance with a Canadian Bank (i know WestPac does with Scotiabank). ATMs are all over the place. Credit cards are a good idea too for shopping. the last thing you want to do is waste time cashing a cheque, plus the ‘convient’ places will rip you off.

with that said: Do keep some traveller’s cheques handy as emergency money

• 6 Oct 2010 Rebecca said

Default_avatar

I’m so confused about travellers cheques at the moment.
    With the exchange rate being so strong at the moment, I have been buying up every couple of weeks. I’ve been to the USA twice on Contiki and have never used them. I am getting pretty good rates at the moment, but I’m hearing conflicting stories about the rate you get when you encash them. Do I get exactly the value thats on the cheque? or the rate on the day?

I’ve read and heard both, and I’m not sure if buying any more travellers cheques is a good idea. I’m getting a great rate now, but am I locking it in? The bank websites use the sentence, “May lock in a more favourable rate” MAY – that doesnt help me….

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion