Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Past European Highlights Traveller

4 Jan 2009 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123
Hi there,

If you want info on everything on this tour feel free to email me!

white_boy_with_skills@hotmail.com

i also have facebook, am more than happy to give out info.

Brad
  • 11 Jan 2009 Lisa said

Default_avatar

hey Brad i was just wondering whats the accommidation like on the European Highlights tour ???

• 11 Jan 2009 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

Hi Lisa,

I would say the accomodation was “not fantastic” lol

But you deal with it. I do believe Contiki 2009 have changed a few of the campsites around but this is what happened in ours.

Paris – Cute little cabins, 2 to a room, only just enough hot water for 4 people.
    Someone (i know who) plugged in the wrong adaptor to a powerpoint and shorted out half of our campsite so we had no power, and no lighting.

French Chateau – Very pretty from the outside, nice inside – just dont get the haunted room that smells of petrol! The rooms are quite cosy, and if you get the a certain room theyre quite large too! the showers are unisex, and ull quite often find someone elses shampoo bottle in your cubicle as theres no bottom covers (things slide around) and you have to push a button, literally every 5 seconds for water to come out (saves waste).

French Riviera – Seperate showers again, not bad, nice i guess, a little away from your cabins however. The cabin walls are paper thin, you can hear the next door neighbours alarm going off, or actually them “going off” depending on whos next door.

Florence – Sharing first place for the best accomodation, you have a cute little caravan type thing, with two bedrooms containing 3 beds in each. The caravan has a bathroom with lots of hot water, mirror , basically everything you need. It also has a mini lounge and kitchen but you wont use it.

Rome – I believe the words peeping tom come into play here, as the top showers at the Rome campsite have holes in them, plugged up by wet toilet paper haha.
    The cabins again are quite cute, but walls are paper thin, Not the best place to stay, the showers are also a hefty walk away from your cabin.

Venice – Lovely, sharing again the top spot, a nice little caravan with 3 beds in each, and a lovely shower with plenty of hot water. It was safe , quiet, and comfortable and i couldve stayed there for two weeks and been happy – not to mention the cool bar and attitude adjusters.

Munich – This is a youth hostel, quite clean on the outside and in, The rooms are fine, generally 2 bunk beds. However the showers leave alot to be desired. Mine was a hole in the wall, again you had to push a button every 5 seconds, no lie, for water to come out, Unfortunatly not having a spout ur only option was to grease yourself up and rub up against the wall, as this is the only place the water ran, down the wall.

St goar – town is boring as bat ****, hotel was just as bad. I believe contiki has a couple of hotels to choose from in this town, as i dont think anyone else goes here? lol. I intern had to share a double bed with my malaysian friend. I deicded the floor was a better option. Rooms were cosy and showers were great.

Amsterdam – Another youth hostel, this one was fine, cool bunk beds, and OMG a TV! to bad it was mainly dutch, but it had MTV… the showers were good and they even had baths.

I know that sounds kinda drab, but i would rather do this tour over the timeout or camping anyday. The campsites became talking points and its all in the experience, so please dont let my rating deter you.

I cant wait to do my next tour!!

• 11 Jan 2009 ***Stacey*** said

***Stacey***

I went on this tour with Brad, his description is very accurate, it’s all part of the Contiki Experience. I would do this exact tour with all the same quips and quirks in a heart beat Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 12 Jan 2009 JohnYYC said

JohnYYC

I also did this tour with Brad and Stacey. Brad’s right on with his descriptions. I would also do this tour again without changing anything.

• 13 Jan 2009 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

Lets be honest, you wont shower alot anyways. You will be to busy.

Quite often you will pull into a campsite with 30 minutes for all 4 of your room mates to get changed to back out into the city your in.

And when you get up in the morning you cant be stuffed walking 40 metres to the showers at 6am!

Well i couldnt…

• 24 Jan 2009 Treen said

Default_avatar

I did this tour with Brad as well. The accomodation wasn’t really that bad, Brad’s descriptions are spot on, but for how long you are actually in the rooms for, it was worth it. Our TM said she preferred the concept tours over the timeout and most definitely the camping. At least with the concept tours most places had a bar right there so you didn’t have to worry about taking a cab into town (like the timeout tours).

• 23 Mar 2009 Amara said

Default_avatar

hey

im going to be doing this tour in Aug. and just wondering what optional tours/activities are good to do? also what other tips do u have when it comes to traveling around? this is my first time overseas (im from Australia) and i dnt have much of an idea what goes on.
    Do i have to take my passport with me everyday or can u lock it in ur room just just take a copy of it in my day bag?
    when it comes to money did u take cash, credit cards or travel chq’s?
    if someone could answers these questions that would be good thanks

Amara

• 9 Apr 2009 Lisa said

Default_avatar

hey Brad thanks for ur help with accomidation it reli cleared things up, i would also like to know which optional extras are good to do ???

• 13 Apr 2009 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

Hey all

Katrina the reason you like the accomodation is cos you’d just spent 3 months in an american summer camp!!! haha

Lisa, and Amara,

I have quite a boring job, so feel free to add me to msn (state why your adding me otherwise ill think your some random) – and ill happily answer all of your questions :-)

Speak soon…

• 15 Apr 2009 Lisa said

Default_avatar

haha i can tell uve got 190 posts, anyway i dont have msn do u have facebook ???

• 15 Apr 2009 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

Hi Lisa,

Yes i have facebook, search via my email which is in my first post!

Thanks!

• 15 Apr 2009 ryan_m said

Default_avatar

hey bradley, i have a question concerning luggage. Are you allowed to bring one carry-on, and one luggage roller that weighs under 20kg? and also your luggage does it stay on the bus or are you leaving it at the hotel/hostel when your site seeing.

thanks
    ryan

Bradleyc123

Gday Ryan!

The strict rule is 20kg for your checked luggage (ya big bag), however they dont weigh what you take on the bus and really dont even look, so u can usually take your sleeping bag plus another bag on board. So what you said will be fine!

Your bag will come off the coach with you whenever your staying overnight.

For instance when your in Florence you arrive late and check into the cabins, leave your baggage there then head into town for your “Tuscan dinner” – (not that great but still do it) and then back on the bus back to the cabins (after partying at the red garter)…
    The next day youll spend site seeing in florence, but will need to be packed by like 8am and have bags on the bus.

Youll be dropped off in florence (without access to the buss again) until its time to leave!

So in that case youd take along a day bag to hold your jumper/camera/drinks and so on

Hope thats clear! – if not let me know

Brad

Bradleyc123

Oh ,

However on your two night stop-overs you will leave your big bags at the hostels / cabins while you site see!

Cheers

• 7 May 2009 Andrea (Ea) said

Andrea (Ea)

Hey I had a question about the day bag. If I wanted to fill it with books and other entertainment oriented stuff (but not valuable items) to keep busy while I’m on the bus could I do that and leave it on the bus while I sightsee and just bring my purse off the bus?

• 10 May 2009 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

Hi Andrea,

Ya sure can… once tour starts generally you can bring whatever you like on the bus, be it sleeping bag, pillows – whatever aslong as it isnt obviously alcohol of dairy…

But no problem, i left my jumper on the bus at all times, and my ipod and things like that.

The people on your tour have generally forked out alot of money so theyre not dodgey

• 16 May 2009 marilourdes23 said

marilourdes23
    quote:
    Originally posted by Amara:
    hey

im going to be doing this tour in Aug. and just wondering what optional tours/activities are good to do? also what other tips do u have when it comes to traveling around? this is my first time overseas (im from Australia) and i dnt have much of an idea what goes on.
    Do i have to take my passport with me everyday or can u lock it in ur room just just take a copy of it in my day bag?
    when it comes to money did u take cash, credit cards or travel chq’s?
    if someone could answers these questions that would be good thanks

Amara

Hi Brad!
    I wasn’t able to go on the EH this year, but will be traveling in 2010 and I share some of the same ?‘s as Amara’s post. Any suggestions???

Thanks so much!

• 18 May 2009 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

Answered all via bookface :-)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.