Community_discussions_small  

Question

Spending money?

17 Nov 2008 Nikstar asked

Default_avatar
Hi all

Just a quick question I am trying to work of how much I need on average per day in aussie dollars while on contiki tour in Europe.

If anyone that has been or that is going can tell me what the spend or are planning to spend per day that would be great
  • 17 Nov 2008 Marty said

Marty

there are many posts in this topic, both within travel talk, and the European advice. The consensus is to budget about 100 Euros per day, plus you will also need to budget for the optional extras. When i talked to the contiki staff at the Brisbane Europe travel expo a few weeks ago i enquired about the same thing, especially since i’m doing the Ultimate European option. the advicer they gave me was that it depended on how much you wanted to party and spend on alcohol (and the exchange rate).for light partiers about 100 Australian dollars each day should be fine. For the more “spirited” people budget for about $150 was the advice i recieved. For a 45 day tour i’m budgeting about 9000 Aus dollars (based on $150/day (this is roughly 100 Euros), plus the cost of all the optional extras and an “rainy day amount in case some unforeseen event arises”. I’ll also take a $2500 credit card as well.

My view is to budget for the maximum that way you always have money left over, rather than run out of cash and miss out. As i said there are plenty of posts on this discussion board. A lot talk about budgets in Euros but all you have to do is get on the internet find the current exchange rate and multiply the Euros value by the exchange rate to get the Aus value. Cheers

Martin

• 18 Nov 2008 Nikstar said

Default_avatar

Thnx Martin
    I know there are heaps but there all different, so I just wanted to hear from different people how much they are budgeting for especially with the dropping aussie dollar, its going to make things a lot more expensive. 100 Euros equates to $200 dollars. Would also love to hear from anyone that has recently been especially if it was the London to Athens trip, how much money did you spend a day and where did the majority of money go food / booze or sightseeing/ shopping. Did anyone found anything particular expensive or was it inline with what you expected before you left .I just want to be prepared to have a great time and be able to do the extras and not have to worry about running out of money

Does anyone else have any thoughts

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion