Community_discussions_small  

Question

Who's done the Sweet as South? South Island?

3 Nov 2012 ldodsy asked

ldodsy

hey everyone, just wondering who has done the Sweet as South tour? Well mainly the South Island with Contiki? I am booked on this tour departing 4th of Jan 2013 and wanted to hear from anyone who has doen the south island with contiki.
How did you like it? What was the best part? What do you wish you had done but didn't do? How much did you pack?
so far I have figured out I want to do Milford sound extra, whitewater rafting and either the Glacier hike or Helihike. I am going to do the optional dinner as well its dinner and you need to eat anyway so I don't really count that one.

• 5 Nov 2012 emz12 said

emz12

hey there :)

i done this tour in October, it was my first Contiki Tour and i loved it.
    the best part of the tour was deffinately the time we had in Queenstown, we had plenty of time there to have free time and do what we want.
    i did sky diving which was amazing. i wish i did the bridge bungy and the canyon swing they are my regrets on tour. i didnt do the Milford Sound as there was a lot of driving involved. its a 5 hour trip out there and back, so it makes it 10hrs travelling. but there was an optional helicopter flight back but at an extra cost. the people that did it said it was good. they left at like 7 in the morning and didnt get back to 7 or later that night.
    i packed a fair few clothes but only really wore half of what i packed, there are places to wash your clothes as well which was good. but i never used those facilities.
    i wanted to do the helihike and put my name down for it, but on the day it got cancelled – just depending on the weather. i ended up doing the ice explorer – it was horrible, was raining the whole time and was cold. definatelty not worth the money. a few people on my tour did the scenic flight up there which was a 20min flight to the top of the glacier and had about 10mins on ice and they loved it. compared to what i had and seen they had such a better time.
    the optional dinners were nice, most people did those – there was only a few that didnt do each optional.
    was such a great time, i am planning my next one.
    are you going alone?

• 5 Nov 2012 ldodsy said

ldodsy

Hi thanks for answering. This will be my second Contiki trip I did the North Island with Contiki years ago when I was 18. I keep changing my about the bungy bridge I have always said the only place I would ever consider doing it was the orignal bungy bridge.
    I know with Milford Sound there is a lot of driving involved but it is one place that has always been on my ‘to do list’.
    We are going in Jan so i am hpoing that the Helihike will be on after hearing your advice if not I might do the scenic flight one instead.
    Yeah I am going alone it is a birthday present to myself a friend of mine was meant to come but she has a work meeting she needs to go to interstate which she canot get out of, lol.
    I started to plan my next overseas holiday after I did my first one and since then I have not looked back.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion