Community_discussions_small  

Question

The Expedition Tour 2013 - What to pack???

6 Nov 2012 Laradv7 asked

Default_avatar

Do the tour in Jun/July next year and have no idea what to pack (especially since we will be in the Alps as well)...please help.
- would I need a coat, boots, jeans etc. Or will leggings be enough?
- is 1 towel enough or would u advice a person to take 2 towels?
- are the extra activities worth while, especially the white water rafting?
- I don't have a huge backpack for all my stuff, should I get one or is a big bag on wheels alright?
- Will a laptop be safe because I want to load my photos on it daily...
- do people bring hairdryers along and is it a good idea to bring a small one with?
- should i get a really warm sleeping bag or is a normal alright?
Thank you :)

• 12 Nov 2012 Jadezie said

Default_avatar

Hi
    I went on the European Experience (20 days) tour 3 years ago in July so I can answer any questions
    First thing I need to tell you is Europe is very hot at that time of year. Even the Alps were warmer than I expected. I was at the top of the mountain in Switzerland in jeans and a jumper and I was fine. Pack for warm weather, but bring along some thick clothes just in case. I doubt you’ll need a coat.
    Definitely take 2 towels! You might not have a chance to wash them for a few days. Also make sure to dry them when you have the chance. Nothing worse than putting a wet towel in your suitcase.
    Do as many of the optional activities that you can, Or the ones that interest you at least. They are worth while. I also say a big YES to the white water rafting. It’s such a fun experience. If you like adrenaline and are a confident swimmer then go for it. Talk to your tour guide when you’re on the trip. They are great for telling you about the activities. Or you can ask me about any you’re curios about.
    I think the backpack will be a better option for you as you’ll be camping.As long as it fits within the dimensions of 28″ × 18″ × 9″ (70cm x 45cm x 23cm) with a maximum weight of 20 kilos (44lbs) You can also take a small backpack with you on the coach to use during the day
    The laptop is a tricky one. Like any valuables it’s always a risk taking it on holiday. I haven’t been on a camping Contiki holiday so I’m not sure what the security is like. You will have to leave the laptop on the coach on some occasions. This one is really up to you to decide.
    Yes, bring a small hairdryer with you. Saves you having to wait to use someone elses. Don’t forget your power adapter!
    I think you should take a thick sleeping bag. It is warm at that time of year but the weather can change unpredictably in Europe and you are camping. Also, make sure you pack an umbrella. It poured with rain when I was in Amsterdam.

I hope that answered your questions. If you have any more please ask :)

• 12 Nov 2012 Leah said

Leah

Jadezie – I am doing a concept tour (European Whirl) would you say a suitcase would be fine with that. I am really unsure about wether to take one or to go and buy a travel backpack!
    Also how did you manage with a sleeping bag on the plane?

• 13 Nov 2012 Jadezie said

Default_avatar

I took a suitcase on my concept tour and I managed fine with it. If you decide to go with a suitcase be prepared to have to carry it up stairs at a lot of the hotels as they don’t have lifts. I took a compact sleeping bag. They are lightweight and take up less space than a normal sleeping bag so i could put it in my case. They are quite thin though, so if you’re going to Europe during colder weather I wouldn’t recommend it.

• 13 Nov 2012 Leah said

Leah

I am going in June so it will be summer and quite hot I have been told.
    Thanks for your advice, I think i will stick with a suitcase as I am going to be over there for 28 days so I need all the room I can get

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.