Community_discussions_small  

Comment

freakin out lol

25 Mar 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar
Hey guyz,
Now I am absolutely freaking out because bout this trip as I have never ever done anything likes this before…I’m like the most boring 21 year old I swear cause all I do is work, Rarely go out so work and sleep is pretty much all I do.
But I have planned this trip for something exciting…going on my own so I’m already holding my breath and goin blue in the face with fear.
I’m from Australia and would like to know what the plane trip is like to London, not really a fan on flying and I have never been on a plane longer then an hour and a half haha so I’m in for a shock….plus when the plane stop for change over or re fueling is it possible to get lost at the other air ports when finding ya next plane.
What happens when ya get to London…where do you go from there? I would be like yeah cool made it here now what am I supposed to do haha find a bar for a drink I’m sure that will come to mind but yeah…
Any who will head off and leave yas to it…any one have any tips please feel free to share and care lol
Thanks for your time
Nikki
  • 25 Mar 2008 Wagz said

Default_avatar

I haven’t done my trip yet, But soon.

My only suggestion would be do your research, get a firm idea in your head about your plans once you get in london, get to know where abouts the tube starts from the airport, where you have to get off, print off a map on how to get to your hotel. I’m sure once you get to your hotel, you’ll be fine, they’ll have the conceirge there with helpful people that will be able to help you.

• 25 Mar 2008 Chris1982 said

Chris1982

Hey Nikki,

There really isn’t anything to be afraid of, just think people live in these places and get around just fine Wink<!--graemlin:;)--> Once you get there you will see that it’s quite easy. In London you might want to pre-plan your trips in the Tube(subway) a little until you get used to it however.

Here is a link: http://www.intolondon.com/images/intolondon/transport-m…ergound-tube-map.gif

Just think about how much fun it is going to be! You will be a pro in no time Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 25 Mar 2008 Alex said

Alex

Hi Nikki,

As for the airports, there’s absolutely no need to worry on getting lost. The flight crew will remind you of what gate at the stopover airport the aircraft will use, and even if you forget, the flight number will be on the display board with the gate number. And if that doesn’t work, you can always ask for help.

If you’re taking Qantas or British Airways from Oz, you won’t have to worry about changing planes since you’ll use the same aircraft. But you’ll have to get off and then re-board usually an hour later for the next leg of the trip to London.

Depending on where you’re flying from in Oz, you’ll most likely stopover in Singapore or Hong Kong, and both are the best airports in the world. All I can say is be sure not to miss your flight from all the great shopping in the airport!

• 26 Mar 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

omg Wink<!--graemlin:;)--> thank you sooooo much for reply guys seriously you have helped…
    i still have a few questions though…lol
    now i plan to shop and buy hardcore now i no im only allowed a certain mount of kilo on my suit case so what happens if i go over it lol will i have to leave it behind or pay extra to get it on the plane.
    with money as well is it hard to work out…cause im pretty stupid lol Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->
    plus with these trips when ya get to london are you supposed to go and meet up with tour straigh away or are there like a few hours to kill or do ya spend a night in londay by ya self
    ok plus i never heard of the tube haha Roll Eyes<!--graemlin::rolleyes:-->
    i have done some research and such and its not for another 6 months yet but i have booked it all in so yay no backin out now lol.
    and i will be flying with qantas leaving from melbourne qanta was way more expensive but i went with them cause i just have no idea and qanta is just sooo well known
    thank you again heaps and please if you have any more tips please please please tell me haha
    cheerio

• 26 Mar 2008 Chris1982 said

Chris1982

Hi Nikki,

Hmm lets see the weight limit, they make you pay extra if it is too heavy. You can always send it home via post if buy too much Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Money, well in London you will use the british Pound which is very easy to use. I carried cash and used my visa while there last summer. One thing to note, London is expensive! You didn’t list which tour you’re taking, but as long as you are in an EU country the Euro is also very easy to use.

You didn’t mention if you arrive a day early etc. I know Canadians get a night in the Royal National before we go. I am not sure if Australians get the same deal though. But if you do have time to kill, London has some amazing sights to see.

The tube is the subway, at first is is kind of overwhelming. It’s an amazingly well set up system, there are maps everywhere and there is always a “way out” sign if you end up lost. I found the people to be quite polite and helpful if you get confused or lost.

Anyway hope this helps a little!

• 28 Mar 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

hey chris,
    lol your talking to a girl that has no travel sense at all.
    can you use there atm over there to get cach out or do i have to use these so called cash cards that i have heard about but i have no idea what they are hahah.
    i havent had much of a chance to talk to my travel agent person but i will be asking her bout a night in london and such.
    im going on the european experiance trip leaving the 22 sep and returning oct 11 all i know is that we leave from london and first stop is paris yay
    any who better run
    thanks for your time cheerio

• 30 Mar 2008 Lauren87 said

Default_avatar

Hey Nikki Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

First of all – do your RESEARCH! It will help so much! Use the ‘find’ tool on the forums and you will come up with HEAPS of info!

As for the flight – seriously, you will be fine! Don’t stress! Take a book, magazine, watch movies etc!

Read these forums to find out how to get to your hotel from the airport.

There is HEAPS to see in London. Do your research and find out where you want to go!
    We are going to do a hop on hop off red bus tour, it takes you to all the sites and you just get on and off the bus as you please! Makes it a little stress free as you don’t have to worry about finding the places you wanna see!

Check with you bank about atm cards, credit cards etc. It would be so annoying to get over there and not have your card work. There are ATM’s everythere in Europe, but just check with your bank that yours will work over there. Take back up money just in case, like a credit card.

Budget in Euro’s. You should budget roughly 100 euros per day – this includes entrance fees, meals that you buy, optional extra’s, some souvineers etc. Depends on how much you like to shop Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Some people may spend more than that, some people can definately get by on a lot less! The choice is yours, but nothing would be worse than running out of money mid holiday.
    Inform your bank that you are going overseas, maybe put it in writing, just in case they cancel your cards Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

I recommend getting the Lonely Planet book ‘Europe on a Shoestring’ it is excellent! Gives you lots of info on places to see, accomoodation, restaurants, maps, language etc!

Just try not to stress, you will have the time of your life, just research everything before you go!

xx

• 31 Mar 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

Hey Lauren,
    thankyou for the reply….all you guys have been so comforting haha considering i have already bitten off all my nails this week thinking…

but yes i have been doing so research and i will make sure i know everything before i go

Great wonderful news today I have just booked in and paid for my trip so there is no way i can turn back now and yes i do get to spend a night in london when i get there and before i leave soo yay Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> …im booked into the Royal National Hotel and im pretty sure that were everyone meets up to leave for the trip…

I checked with my travel person thingamobob today and my atm cards will work over there and i also have a visa so im all set for that

I did plan to budget 100 euro a day lol so i dont go to crazy lol!!! But knowning me im sure i will go crazy here and there but i should have plenty to survive on and will make sure i dont run out mid way haha i will be in big trouble then wont i.

i will suss out that book for sure too thankyou for the recommendation

Red bus tour sounds good first time i have ever heard of that but i will look into it

Im pretty darn excited bout this all now but i can see i am going to be very nervous when it gets closer lol

any who thankyou for your time again
    cheerio

• 13 Apr 2008 naomi said

Default_avatar

i’m freaking out too!! im leaving for my trip on June 26th and I’m going alone. Im excited to go to Europe, but I’m also so scared to go alone! And fly across the Ocean alone!

• 19 Apr 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

hey sorry for the late reply back….
    havent been to this site for a while….lol

yes not a fan of plans…and i totally agree lets hope they are better then jetstar domestic

been doin so research so i hae stopped freakin out but seriously wait till like the moth before or tha day drving to melb i will be throwing up all the way i reackon haha

thats for the reply sounds like i have a twin out there haha

cheerio nikki

• 20 Apr 2008 Ang said

Default_avatar

hey nikki
    you’ve possibly found out already, but if you’re staying at the royal national, the tube from the airport is really easy – you don’t even have to change!!! just follow the signs at heathrow to the tube, which will be a blue (picadilly) line. you stay on that and get off at russell square station, get in the lift, get above ground, and royal national is like a block away. turn left, then right at the lights, you’ll see the royal national sign running down the side of the building about halfway along.
    the only thing that can sometimes be a little annoying about tube/metro stations is that they have exits on to different streets…but if you’re ever in doubt, ASK SOMEONE!! seriously, it is the best option – my friend and i would just stop random people to ask the name of the street we were on, how to get to places etc. most people were really nice – and no-one will think you’re dumb, and if they do, who cares? it’s not like you’re ever going to see them again!! :-) and you can grab a tube map from any tube station – they’re free!
    and don’t worry about the flight – by the time you eat a few times, watch a few movies, snooze…it goes faster than you realise.

• 20 Apr 2008 benny_boi said

benny_boi

Hi Nikki,

Well from the sounds of it most of your questions have been answered by most people on this board but thought I would add my piece of advise too. Mainly…just chill. Contiki is supposed to be one of those once in a life time opportunities. I am 25 and only taking my first international trip now. As for flying (I am in Perth) first leg to Singapore is about 5 hours but then its about 12 hours to London. You should be told which gate your connecting flight is at when you check in on your first flight (they should be able to check you in for the london leg when you get on the first flight). When you arrive in London they will tell you which baggage carousel to collect your suitecase from and then as everyone has said get on the subway. Make sure you have some British pound before you leave Australia (convert say $100-150 AU). Just enough for when you first arrive. The tube (subway) takes you almost to contiki’s door. This articale here from Contiki’s website explains how to get to the hotel.

http://contiki.com.au/contikipedia/articles/heathrow-airport-london

From what I understand most tours have a tour meeting at the Contiki’s “Basement” the night before the tour so you can meet everyone here who you will be touring with.

75-100 Euro a day is the norm for most people. I would check with your bank as to how you can access funds overseas. Normally it will cost you everytime you withdraw money so you will want to take money out for say 2 days at a time. Visa Debit cards are very good as it is your own money and accepted where ever Visa is.

But most of all don’t stress. As long as you can get from the airport to your hotel and then on the tour you will be fine. Lots of other people will be on their first trips too. Have a browse through the “travel advise” section of Contiki’s website. I have looked through a heap of articles and found many useful.

I am also heading off on the European Experiance but leaving on the 8th Sept. That way I could come back for 1 night and then do the 5 day Oktoberfest tour. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

…the count down is on!

• 22 Apr 2008 Katiebee said

Katiebee

Yes the tube is terribly easy to use, but I know how daunting it can be to arrive in a strange place and not really know what the hell you are doing!

My best advice would be to ask your travel agent to organise you a transfer from the airport straight to your hotel.

I wish I had of done this straight off! I arrived in London and took the tube, which was cheap, but exhausting!! It took ages and I had to change a few times, I had to lug my suitcase all around up and down stairs and it was a total pain in the arse!

Just get a transfer they will be waiting for you when you get off the plane, they will take you straight to the door of your hotel, no worries! It takes the stress off you, especially after a long flight!! and any extra cost is worth it!

• 24 Apr 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

hey guyz thanks for the reply…

and thanks for talkin bout the tube…i was freakin out again when i heard i have to get on that…i just have no travel sense…ive alwasy been with someone else when ever i have gone any where so im scared bout this trip….but at least when i get there i got that night in london before my trip leaves so if i do get lost and knowing my luck i will i dont have to panic tooo much cause i have time to find the national…

i really dont have any more questions guyz…but if you can think of anything else that would be good for a first time traveler to know i would be very greatful otay..

thanks for your time Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 24 Apr 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

omg katiebee im totally gonna ask my travel agent when i go in there next…thanks so much

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.