Community_discussions_small  

Question

London, Paris + Rome extension Jan 26th

26 Nov 2012 Melliegrubber asked

Melliegrubber

Hey all. I am booked on this trip and I was hoping I could connect with some people doing this trip too. Is anyone else planning on this trip or done it before? I would love to hear tips. I am 25 and traveling solo overseas for the first time. I am getting so excited, only 2 months to go!

• 1 Dec 2012 Holly said

Holly

Hey. I’m also booked for this trip, I’m 21 and this will be my first trip overseas. January can’t come fast enough :)

• 2 Dec 2012 Melliegrubber said

Melliegrubber

I agree :) So where are you from? I’m from Queensland Australia

• 3 Dec 2012 Megan said

Megan

I did this trip in May! If there’s anything you’d like to hear about or if you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)

• 3 Dec 2012 Holly said

Holly

Hey I ’m from NSW, are you doing any other tours with this one?

• 6 Dec 2012 Melliegrubber said

Melliegrubber

No, I’m not doing any other tour. Are you Holly?
    Megan: did you do all of the optionals and were they worth it?

• 6 Dec 2012 Megan said

Megan

I’ll give you a quick run-down of the optionals:

Everyone on my tour did the Stonehenge/Bath optional. It takes up pretty much the whole day and I thought it was definitely worth it. Stonehenge was amazing to see in person. The Bath museum visit was pretty boring but it didn’t cost much and almost everyone else did it so I was fine with that.
    By far the BEST optional is Moulin Rogue in Paris! DO IT. It’s expensive but it was totally worth it – that was the best night on tour. Everyone gets all dressed up, there’s lots of wine, and then after the show, the group will go next door to a bar called O’Sullivans. It’s sort of a Contiki legend, there’s usually at least 1 or 2 Contiki groups there on any given night – haha. Seriously such a fun night.
    I didn’t do the bike tour in Paris because I’m so clumsy and can’t ride a bike very well, so I can’t say much about it. The people who did it said it was cool though. I actually used that day to go shopping on the Champs-Elysees and have lunch in a French cafe, so it was a good day for me! That’s the day you’ll have your group photo taken as well. Buy one! I bought one and lost it in Rome and I really really wish I still had it. It’s such a great souvenir.

One thing to keep in mind – in Rome, you aren’t with the whole group anymore. Some people go to Rome, some go to Amsterdam, and some stay in Paris (or go home). Your tour manager won’t be with you in Rome either, so that portion is unguided. You do get day passes for the metro there which makes sightseeing a whole lot easier, and the metro station is just a couple blocks away from the hotel; it’s a really easy walk. The Colosseum, Forum, and Trevi Fountain stick out in my mind as my favorite parts of Rome… make sure you go to the Trevi Fountain at night! Seeing it all lit up is breathtaking.

If you have any other questions I’ll be glad to answer them!

• 6 Dec 2012 Melliegrubber said

Melliegrubber

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. I can’t wait!

• 6 Dec 2012 Megan said

Megan

You’ll have a blast! I loved it so much that the day after I got home, I was already on here looking for my next tour, haha. The only negative aspect was that it was too short, so I made sure to choose a longer one next time. I can guarantee that at the end of it, you won’t want to leave! Europe with Contiki is amazing :)

• 10 Dec 2012 Holly said

Holly

Hey yeah I’m also doing the Simply Italy tour after this tour finishes. But it still doesn’t feel like enough I’m already starting to think about my next holiday lol

• 4 Jan 2013 Melliegrubber said

Melliegrubber

Hi Megan. Just a last minute question, did you pay for all of your optionals at the beginning of the tour? Did you pay for the British ones like Bath and Stonehenge in pounds and the European ones in euros?

• 4 Jan 2013 Megan said

Megan

You’ll get a sheet of paper near the beginning of the tour where you can mark which optionals you’d like to do, then you add them together and write down the total. The tour manager will collect your money for Stonehenge & Bath on the way there. And yes, you do pay for the other optionals with Euros, which is done later… I think our TM collected that money on the bus on our first morning in Paris.

One more thing I didn’t think of mentioning before: it isn’t required, but you’ll probably want to tip your TM and coach driver at the end of your tour. They pass around envelopes so you can enclose money if you want to. Just something to keep in mind so you can budget a little bit of extra money at the end – I think the standard amount is 2 Euros per day for each of them. It’s coming up so soon, I hope you have the time of your life! :)

• 4 Jan 2013 Melliegrubber said

Melliegrubber

Thanks for getting back to me, you have answered my questions. I can’t wait to go :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.