Community_discussions_small  

Question

Eastern Discovery 18th Oct 2013, anyone going?

27 Nov 2012 Sophia asked

Sophia

This will be my first ever trip alone. So I'm a little nervous about it. Anyone ever been or is going to this tour?

What should I expect?

• 28 Nov 2012 Rachael said

Default_avatar

Hi Sophia. I’m thinking of doing this tour as well. I have just done the Southern Adventure, (which starts in New Orleans and ends in Los Angeles) and is the second leg of the Grand Southern tour, the Eastern Discovery being the first leg (assuming you’re starting in New York). So I joined a larger tour half way through, and everyone who had done the east coast bit says that they had a blast. I’m so super jealous that they had so much fun so this is the reason I want to go. I’d say at least half the people who go on these tours are lone travellers, but even people who are travelling in groups tend to mix with people they’re not with. Everyone gelled really well on my tour. You seriously have nothing to worry about. As long as you’re willing to put in a bit of effort chatting and getting to know people everyone will be super nice to you. I’d never travelled by myself before either but I had so much fun and everything was so well organised that I can’t wait for my next Contiki! Just be prepared for plenty of legendary nights out.

By the way, at the end of the tour I’d recommend that you stay over an extra day (the 31st) as Halloween in New Orleans is a sight to be seen.

• 29 Nov 2012 Sophia said

Sophia

Hi Rachael, glad to hear something good about the tour. My workmate has been on the same tour 5 years ago and she said it was amazing but a little different. It’s easy for me to start chatting with people so I shouldn’t have a problem. I’m just worried about the whole 21 age limit with clubs. I know New Orleans is 18 to go into club and if someone will be with you that you can drink. I’m just worried about like the Miami clubs.

Have you ever had a problem with the baggage sizes? I’m worried that I won’t be able to fit everything in 1 suitcase.

Really hope I have a blast :)

• 29 Nov 2012 Rachael said

Default_avatar

Wooooo! Just had my annual leave approved so I’m getting this tour booked asap.

I didn’t have a problem because I was only away for two weeks and I was economical with my clothes. Also, be prepared to do some washing.

How old are you? It’s not really something that I had to think about (being over 21), but looking back I didn’t get ID’ed once in New Orleans or any of the southern states. The bigger cities like Miami might be a bit trickier. I thought you were allowed to go into the clubs if you’re under 21 but they put big black crosses on the back of your hands to signify that you’re under 21. If that’s the case you can always drink before you go out. Room party!

Are you doing any sight seeing before or after the tour?

Sophia

I’m 19 now, I’ll be 20 when I go on the tour. Yeah I think they should allow you in the club but just some band to show your underage. Like in Australia which is where I’m from its 18 here. But yeah I’m thinking that if I have a problem just to drink beforehand.

I’m still to apply for time off but I know I have lots of holiday so it’s sweet. So your going to book this tour?

Yeah I have booked for two nights prior to the tour leaving so I can see New York because its a shame that the tour does nothing in NYC. But at the moment I’m having just a bit of problems with the hotel contiki has booked. Are you planning to stay extra nights before or after?

Yeah I think thinking I’m going to have to do washing.

Default_avatar

I’m going to do the short new york tour (I think it’s called new york uncovered and lasts about three days) just before, and then stay at least an extra day in new orleans so I can go out for halloween. Either go home on 1st or 2nd of november. So three weeks in the usa in total! What problems are you having with the hotel?

There were quite a few people who were underage on the tour I went on and they still all had a fab time. You could always borrow someone’s ID.

Hells yeah, definitely going to get it booked as soon as the airlines release the flights. That will probably be in a few weeks.

Sophia

I’m doing New York by myself as I have a friend I wanna meet up with there. The hotel contiki is using for the first time has no restaurant at all. The closed it down July 2011. The hotel doesn’t offer you food. You have to go out and find a restaurant in the area and for most people that’s hard because they are alone.

Maybe it’s just me because its my first time but paying $500 for a hotel and no way to get food is absurd.

Never thought of getting someone’s ID, but for me it would be okay to have a few drinks but I have read some people’s post about they had so much to drink and felt like shit on the bus the next day. So I think I’ll hold off on my normal drinking.

My travel agent said flights from Australia will be available on 2nd Dec as its 9 months out. Not sure where you are but I’d check next week as its 9 months in Dec

Default_avatar

You sure can feel rough on the coach the next day after a heavy night of drinking, but it’s all part of the fun.

What is the hotel called? I heard that contiki use a hotel in brooklyn but people were complaining that it was too far away from the sights. Maybe they changed it. If it’s the one I’ve heard about it’s suppose to be nice anyway. When you say no food do you also mean no breakfast? Because mama can’t function in the morning with no food in her belly.

Most people will turn up a few days before the tour starts so there will be someone to pop out to get food with. Anyway, once you’re out there I find that things tend to fall into place.

Sophia

Yeah, I have to admit that you have more fun when your drinking :)

Yeah my travel agent told me that. It’s been moved to the New York Courtyard upper East Side. The reviews I read online were so bad. Like no food period, no breakfast, no lunch, no dinner. You have to go outside and look for places to eat. My travel agent told me that they have a order in dining but you have to pay on top of your hotel costs.

I really hope so, I know everything will turn out okay, I think because I read all these stories about New York and hear things your like wtf!!!!

Default_avatar

I assume that if I did the new york tour that I’d be staying at the same hotel as you. The tour says that breakfast is included, so don’t know how they would sort that out if the hotel doesn’t have a restaurant. The hotel may even change in the meantime if contiki get negative feedback. What you planning on seeing in new york?

Sophia

Oh really, I didn’t see that breakfast is included. I only saw dinner for the first day. I have asked my travel agent to see what contiki can do about this.

Looking to see the statue of liberty, empire state building, Times Square, Love sculpture. All in 1 day I hope :)

What are your plans for New York?

• 2 Dec 2012 Rachael said

Default_avatar

I guess I’ll be doing all the usual tourist stuff, depends what’s on this little new york tour. Maybe also do a sex and the city tour. Breakfast is only included for the new york tour, but I reckon there’ll be loads of diners around to catch a bite to eat. I think some of them are even open 24 hours.

• 2 Dec 2012 Sophia said

Sophia

Yeah, im going to do the hop on hop off bus and see all the amazing sites & do that 15 plane ride so that should be fun.

Yeah I spoke with my travel agent and she said that the hotel has an order in dining. Plus yeah there is a lot of diners around the block.

I have also booked another night in New Orleans as you said so I can’t wait.

• 3 Dec 2012 Rachael said

Default_avatar

Yeah! I really wish that I could have enjoyed New Orleans at Halloween this year, but I had only just landed from the flight and the airline put my bag on a later flight so I had no change of clothes. I was gutted.

What is this 15 plane ride?

• 3 Dec 2012 Sophia said

Sophia

Sorry my iPhone changed it 15 min helicopter ride.

Oh that’s no good, well hopefully you’ll get to go on this tour. I can’t wait for Halloween.

• 14 Dec 2012 Rachael said

Default_avatar

Yey, just went into STA travel and put a deposit down on both the eastern discovery and new york uncovered. Now I’ve just got to save up my money so I can still go! Also thinking I may head to boston for a few days before new york. There’s so much to fit in!

• 19 Dec 2012 Sophia said

Sophia

Oh yay!!! Yeah I just have to do the saving now too but no matter what, I’m going!!! :)

My travel agent is getting me some pass for New York to see everything in one day!!! Hopefully I see it all.

So much to do in New York City.

• 11 Feb 2013 Erin said

Erin

Helllloo,
    I’ve booked this trip leaving from New York :) I’m a solo traveller, have been a contiki before but with a friend.
    So im feeling a bit nervous aswell! but pretty damn excited too!

• 15 Feb 2013 Brooke Bitschkat said

Brooke Bitschkat

I’m doing this tour in July, and staying extra night’s in nyc afterwards in the contiki hotel, so I can give you a review after it.

• 15 Feb 2013 Sophia said

Sophia

Thanks Brooke, Is your tour from New Orleans to New York?

• 15 Feb 2013 Brooke Bitschkat said

Brooke Bitschkat

Yes it is

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.