Community_discussions_small  

Comment

A few hints for an Asian Adventure

1 Dec 2012 Jess said

Default_avatar

I hope these are of use to someone, just a few thoughts after my own Asian Adventure :-)

- In terms of taking/obtaining currency, I would take my keycard to withdraw from my bank account as always but I would also take perhaps $500-$750 AUD/USD cash to exchange as you go at one of the many currency exchanges on your travels. To exchange currency for currency in the country you are in seems to be a much more economical way to do things - at least in Asia?
I exchanged money in Australia before I left and found that everywhere we went, the rate in the country itself was substantially better. The currency used in Cambodia is USD and you can exchange USD or Baht at the Lao border for Kip.

- In terms of getting Laos and Cambodian Visas, getting them beforehand is far more expensive then getting them on arrival. My group had more people travelling without so it was no hassle getting one on arrival as 25 other people were in the same boat. Vietnam Visas seemed to be better to be arranged in advance.

- Make sure you pick up some hippy pants and t-shirts in Bangkok because with all the temples you are about to see, you will need to have your knees and shoulders covered.

- Strap yourselves in because you are in for one hell of a ride. SE Asia is a crazy wonderful place that will make you laugh lots, smile even more and bring a tear to your eye. Soak it up, live it up and ENJOY...

• 5 Feb 2013 Maggie said

Maggie

Hi Jess can you advise where you got the vietnamese visa from? Do you have the website? Im also planning on doing this trip in September this year and the visa details are a bit off putting…. But after your helpful info im a bit more confident. So no need to get cambodia or Laos visa prior to arrival…. were they expensive regardless???

• 5 Mar 2013 CandyCane said

CandyCane

Hi Jess,
    I can totally agree with Maggie on the visa front. Started investigating for a trip in Sept/Oct and found there are not consulates for Laos of Cambodia in SA, yikes! Thank goodness for the good news :)

• 5 Mar 2013 johnsem said

Default_avatar

And don’t forget to choose the right month otherwise you will be sweltering.

• 5 Mar 2013 CandyCane said

CandyCane

Thanks John, I have been in Thailand before in Oct and it was pleasant. Any other recommendations?

• 3 Jun 2013 Kirk said

Kirk

Hi Maggie, where are you located, and how are you arriving in Vietnam, eg Air, Sea, Road, Rail?

Im going on a Vietnam tour, 1st week of September, I have put in for a Visa on arrival.

Also i think Jess said it was better to get Lao’s and Cambodian Visas on arrival.

You can get a Vietnam visa on arrival if arriving by air.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g293921-c148049/Vietnam:Faq.Visa.On.Arrival.Voa.html

If your arriving by Land or sea, you have to get one before you leave your home country.

• 10 Jun 2013 Emily1590 said

Emily1590

Hi!
    I’m travelling on Asian Adventure on 23rd June and need a Visa for Laos and Cambodia. It seems like it is easier to get the visas over there as long as you have spare recent passport photos with you. Can you please tell me where your group got the visas – did the bus take you somewhere you could get them or did you have to arrange it all yourselves? Any other info/advice would be great! Thanks!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.