Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Passport

9 Jul 2008 jess said

jess
Do we need to carry our passports with us at all times?

I've read on here that if you want to use your credit card you may need to show your passport...
Will a photocopy of it be okay? What about a driver's license for ID purposes?
  • 9 Jul 2008 Kat_UK said

Kat_UK

In some places it may be ok to take a photocopy (if the copy is really clear) – but is it always preferable to use your passport.

Then you can leave your photocopy somewhere safe in your main luggage, if something untoward happened to your passport.

Your Drivers licence might be ok, but they would prefer it to be a passport in most places.

• 9 Jul 2008 jess said

jess

I was thinking of leaving my passport locked in my luggage at the hotel cause I thought, what if it gets lost or stolen, will I be able to get back through customs and home with just a photocopy of it?

But I guess it would be easier to just keep it in my bag and known that its with me…

• 9 Jul 2008 Kat_UK said

Kat_UK

A photocopy is no substitute for the real thing and if your passport is indeed lost or stolen it’s always best to go to your consulate in the country that you are in. – And therefore if you have a photocopy they can verify who you are a lot faster than if you have nothing. – it may be used through customs (certain places only)- but most likely they will give you replacement travel documents for your return home.

So really, the photocopy is just there to verify your identity

Its just a risk that everyone takes – to take or not to take, – but at least you would know you would have a photocopy readily available.

and able to buy stuff in shops!!

• 9 Jul 2008 MikeEd said

Default_avatar

They best thing I’ve found is to have small pocket pouch that hangs around your neck and is hidden. After a day you get use to it. Really simple to check if you’re like me and want to make sure its there every 30 minutes. Just press the pouch acgainst your chest and you’ll fell the passport.

I don’t know how that would work with girls tops that leave the neck all exposed though. I don’t even have flappy man boobs so I’m not sure but perhaps you could hook it off your underwear.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.