Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Paying for Optionals

12 Feb 2007 Amy said

Default_avatar
This will be my first contiki and I was wondering when do we pay for the optionals? Is it at the beginning of the tour? Also, I know that we have to pay with cash, but what currency? Pounds, euros?
  • 12 Feb 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

What tour are you doing?

If it’s a short tour you will generally need to pay for you optionals on day 1 or 2. You can use cash (Euro’s) or credit card to pay for them (I’d go for the CC, much safer than lugging around all that money).

If you’re on a longer tour then sometimes you will book and pay for optionals in two parts; the first lot on day 1-2 and the second part about half-way through.

• 12 Feb 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

I believe CC’s for optionals are generally for Aussie/NZ tours. Cash only for Euro tours …

- Vic

My American TM collected by credit card last yaer and so did my European TM, wayyyy back in 2001! Things may well have changed though!

• 12 Feb 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar
  • 13 Feb 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

As cdm115 mentioned, TM will expect payment for all the optionals within the first few days. If it’s a long tour, there will probably be 2 installments – half at the start and the balance midway thru the tour. Do not hand over large payments on the street for obvious reasons – preferably within the safety confines of the coach.

- Vic

• 13 Feb 2007 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by eastboca:

I believe CC’s for optionals are generally for Aussie/NZ tours. Cash only for Euro tours …

- Vic

My American TM collected by credit card last yaer and so did my European TM, wayyyy back in 2001! Things may well have changed though!

• 13 Feb 2007 sue123 said

Default_avatar

On my European tour last year, you had to pay in cash, Euros. He gave us a few days to pay, the only thing was the lake cruise in Lucerne we had to pay for that day. The other optionals, we had a while to pay for, I think about 5 days. And he would only accept money while we were on the coach. This was a longish tour, Road to Athens.

• 17 Jul 2007 rachelle said

Default_avatar

do you have to pay for the optional in euros cause i will be coming from the us and wont have access to euros so can i pay in the local currency or dollars also?

• 18 Jul 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

Generally you pay for the optionals in euros or the local currency. The TM’s know that people often don’t have enough cash the first day and will give you a few days to get the cash. You wont be the only one who didn’t bring that much in euros the first day. You can exchange money on the ferry to France and can get them from ATM’s at the rest stops.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion