Community_discussions_small  

Comment

hurrican gustav

31 Aug 2008 chris_whitehead82 said

Default_avatar
hi, i've just seen that new orleans has been ordered to be evacuated....
what happens with the tours that leave/go to new orleans in this situation. does anyone know what happened when hurricane katrina hit? i'm booked to leave for new orleans.
  • 4 Sep 2008 USTraveller said

Default_avatar

I rang Contiki to ask, and they mentioned that Eastern Discovery travellers will get called or emailed and told if there is a change in plans. They will notify of where to meet the tour, and then it is up to you to get there.

Travel insurance covers changes like this, so if you do get an email or call, just call your travel agent and insurer to make any changes or, if you’re already in the States and need to change a flight, call the insurance company and go to your airline’s customer service desk.

Last I read, the cleanup and restoration work has begun, and they were just waiting an extra 24 hours to let the water level behind the levees drop before giving the all clear. Though that hasn’t stopped some residents from heading back. Should be all OK for when the next Eastern Discovery starts, but it is at the Tour Manager’s discretion as to whether the tour gets diverted or not.

• 6 Sep 2008 princess19 said

Default_avatar

However the problem dosent end here… Ike has changed course ( yay for me… i dont like living in the cone of death), but its new projected path has it heading for Key West on Wed, and in the general direction of New Orleans by the next of next week! New Orleans is currently in the cone of death for Ike which is projected as a Cat 3.. Not fun! I would advise checking the tropical updates reguarly if youre headed anywhere in the Southeast during Hurricane Season.

GOod Luck and hopefully you get to experience New Orleans! Its an AMAZING city!!! One of my favorites….

• 6 Sep 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

click on hurricane in question to see projected 5 day path.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

- Vic

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion