Community_discussions_small  

Comment

A question for the techies out there: Laptops and wireless adapters in Italy....

16 Dec 2007 aroundthe said

Default_avatar
I am sure this makes me a hyprocrit as I am sure I've advise people who've asked not to even consider bring a laptop but now I am entertaining the idea.

I am going to be honest. I know next to nothing about computers other then how to turn my computer on. I know even less about wireless internet, WIFI, Bluetooth (if someone has the time feel to PM me with what the hell bluetooth is).

So to my question I am considering taking my laptop can I use my wireless adapter that I use on my desktop (it picks up all un secure internet as well as those my from router) while in Italy or will I need something else if I want to connect to the Internet while in Italy?

Also my hairstraightener (hyprocrit I know) is dual voltage, is all I need is the plug adapter or do I still need to use a voltage converter so I dont fry it?

Thanks in advance.
  • 17 Dec 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

As for the straightener you just need the plug. Though it will work better with the converter as well.

Now as far as the laptop goes. Why take it. Can you afford to replace it if it gets stolen? Unless you are working on a major paper you don’t need it. There are plenty of places in Italy to connect to the internet or photo places for pictures.

I’d also recommend taking a power strip that can plug into your converter. Most rooms in italy only have 1 or maybe 2 extra plugs if you unplug something. Most of the hotels have internet service available. If you do decide to take your laptop I’d spend the money on a Pacsafe laptop bag.

Hope that helps.

• 17 Dec 2007 Chris1982 said

Chris1982

Well most laptops built within the last 3 or 4 years will have wireless built in. There is usually a button or switch that will toggle it on or off. So you might not need that adapter.. check your computers specs!

Umm as for the bluetooth, in simple terms it’s a lot like wireless. North America went the 801.11 route where as it is common to find bluetooth in Europe. That doesn’t mean you wont find wireless though! You can buy a bluetooth adapter that plugs into a USB port if your laptop isn’t bluetooth compatable.

Hope that helps rather then confuses Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.