Community_discussions_small  

Question

Hop on Hop off London

8 Dec 2012 Hollyv asked

Hollyv

Hi,
My boyfriend and I have 2 days in London before doing the European Contrasts tour next year. Just wondering if people think it's best to discover London on foot or whether it's worth doing the hop on hop off?
We are staying at the Royal National Hotel and want to see the main sites (never been to London/Europe - so any advice as to what we HAVE TO SEE in London would also be great!), but don't know if we will get a better feel for the place on foot, or if there is too much to see/do in 2 days?
Thanks heaps!!!

• 8 Dec 2012 Megan said

Megan

I did the hop on/hop off bus tour and it was SO worth it! It’s a perfect way to see all the main sights. You just purchase a ticket and it’s good for the whole day, so you can get off the bus anywhere to walk around and then get back on and go someplace else (hence the “hop on/hop off” title). It also includes a ferry ride down the Thames. I hopped off at the Tower of London, did the tour of it (not sure it was worth the 20 Pounds but still cool, plus you get to see the Crown Jewels), then got on the ferry and it dropped us off at Big Ben & Westminster Abbey. You can have a look around there for a bit (it’s so so so beautiful) and then walk across Westminster Bridge to the London Eye – totally worth it! The Eye was great and the view from the top is amazing. There’s also the London Aquarium and a modern art museum called Tate Modern in that area if you want more stuff to do. I went to Tate Modern because it was pouring down rain and it’s free to get in, so it was a good way to waste a little bit of time. The Waterloo Underground station is just a couple blocks away from those things so you can end your day there and take the Tube back to the Royal National.

Those are just some suggestions, I did it that way with my roommate and we had a blast! It was one of my favorite days on tour. London is HUGE so the bus tour is definitely a great way to get around. I didn’t get to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace but heard it was mostly just thousands of tourists standing around worrying about being pick-pocketed haha so I don’t know. There was a little cafe a few blocks from the Royal National that I wish I could remember the name of because they had the BEST fish & chips! If I find out, I’ll let you know… I definitely plan to try and find it again when I’m back in London this summer, it was that good. Speaking of which – do NOT eat lunch at the Tower of London’s cafe, the food was awful. There are plenty of other places to eat nearby that I’m sure are 10 times better.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to help! Have fun on your trip!

• 9 Dec 2012 Hollyv said

Hollyv

Hi Megan,
    Thanks heaps! I’m not sure whether it wl work out cheaper/better to do the hop on hop off or do the London pass with travel? Do u know anything about the London pass?

• 9 Dec 2012 Megan said

Megan

You’re very welcome! :)
    Hmm, I’m not sure what the London pass is. Do you mean like an all-day Underground ticket? That would be good too, but I personally would go for the bus because there’s actually a guide who tells you what you’re driving past and whatnot. It’s a pretty cool way to learn some history about London. And really, it’s only 20 pounds for an entire day of bus travel plus the ferry ride – good deal! I’m so glad I did it, it was a lot of fun.

• 10 Dec 2012 Hollyv said

Hollyv

The London pass basically includes the entry fee to most of the attractions, ie Tower of London etc, and u can get a version that also includes travel, so the underground etc.. More expensive than hop on hop off but that doesn’t include entry fees? I might just have to add it all up and work out what’s cheapest! :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.