Community_discussions_small  

Question

London & Paris plus Rome July 2013

10 Dec 2012 GG171 asked

GG171

Hey, I'm looking at doing the London & Paris plus Rome tour in July next year but I'm a little anxious about how it's all going to work as I'll be traveling to Europe for the first time and on my own!

I want to do contiki so I can meet & travel with other people, but I'm not a super party person so mainly I want to know that I'll be able to buddy up with other like minded travelers so I don't have to worry about getting stuck out at night (and during the day I guess) without someone to get around with.

Anyone else doing this tour and/or know how it all goes when on your own? Thanks!

• 10 Dec 2012 Megz12 said

Default_avatar

Hey :) What dates in July are you thinking of doing? I’ll be doing the exact same tour but the 29th of June to the 8th of July

• 10 Dec 2012 GG171 said

GG171

Oh that’s the exact one I’m doing! Yay :). Are you going on your own?

• 11 Dec 2012 Megan said

Megan

I did this tour last May and I went solo. There were only about 10 other solo travelers, the rest of the group was there with either a friend or, in most cases, their significant other. It’s pretty easy to find your “group” of like-minded people, and once you do, you just stick with them for the rest of the tour. The only negative part is that not everyone goes on to Rome, since that’s an extension. Some people will go to Rome with you, some go to Amsterdam (actually the majority of my group went there which was really sad for me since I did Rome), and some stay in Paris. Just something to keep in mind.

There was only one real “party night” on tour, and it was the night of Moulin Rogue. It was SO FUN. I highly recommend doing that optional… even if you aren’t really a party person, that night was an absolute blast and everyone had the best time. Moulin Rogue itself was awesome but afterwards, everyone goes next door to this bar called O’Sullivan’s (it’s kind of a Contiki legend haha) and most of us stayed out until like 4 am. It was just a good way to bond with the group and have some funny stories to tell the next day. The rest of the nights were early ones and not many people went out. Also, this is a Time Out tour, meaning you stay only in hotels… usually those tours involve a lot less partying than the Concept & Camping tours. There will always be a couple of people who want to drink every night but it’s not very common on shorter tours like this one, so you should have a great experience!

I hope that helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)

• 11 Dec 2012 Megz12 said

Default_avatar

I am going alone and it’s my first time too which is why I’m so nervous but if there are other solo people on the tour I’m doing it :). I’m not a huge party person but I’ve been reading on these forums how amazing Moulin Rouge is so i’ll be doing that for sure and pretty much anything else which sounds amazing I’ve read to do all the optional extras are there any you wouldn’t recommend?

• 11 Dec 2012 Megan said

Megan

Yeah, I was SO nervous too. It was my first time overseas and going solo is a bit daunting but I can tell you that it was, without a doubt, the BEST thing I’ve ever done in my life. I’m so glad I did it. The day after I got home, I was on Contiki’s website looking for my next tour! Now I really can’t wait to go back, I miss my Contiki crew and everything about Europe. I know it’s scary but I promise you won’t regret it.

Definitely do the Stonehenge optional – you’ll also go to Bath that day and you can choose to either do the Roman Bath museum (it’s something like 7 Pounds) or just walk around the city. I did the museum and I don’t know whether it was really worth the money but everyone else did it and I wanted to stay with the group haha so it was okay. I didn’t do the Fat Tire bike tour in Paris because I’m super clumsy and can’t ride a bike, so me and a girl from my tour just went shopping on the Champs-Elysees instead. The people who did the bike tour said it was fun and they got to see a lot of cool stuff. And like I said, definitely do Moulin Rogue! It’s the most expensive but the most worth it for sure. The show itself is great, but it’s mostly the company you’re with that makes the night so fun. And regardless of whether you’re a partier, you have to go with everyone to O’Sullivan’s afterward! That’s the only night on tour where everyone goes out together – there’s drinking and dancing and it was an absolute blast. In Rome, there are no optionals since you aren’t with the whole group and there’s not a tour manager or anything with you, so you kinda have to organize your own activities. You get a day pass for the metro though which is really helpful, and Rome is very easy to navigate. I actually went out on my own one day for some sightseeing and lunch and I had no problem at all, it’s an amazing city – my favorite one, actually – you’ll love it there :)

• 11 Dec 2012 GG171 said

GG171

Sounds so exciting! Yes I definitely plan to do the Moulin Rogue, I don’t dislike partying I just don’t want to do it every night & ruin the trip. But it sounds like the London & Paris plus Rome isn’t too party crazy anyway, and similarly I wasn’t too confident going unless I knew a few other solos who were doing it too! I’m definitely going to do it now though, I know that once I’m there & meet some people it will be a blast! By the time we get to Rome I’m sure to have a few buddies to explore with while on our own – going to be so much fun :)

• 11 Dec 2012 Megan said

Megan

Yes, going solo is a great decision, I think it’s so awesome that Contiki gives people the opportunity to travel the world even if they don’t have friends who are able to come along. I’m going solo on both of my tours next summer too because it was that great. The trip is really what you make of it; you just have to be willing to step out of your comfort zone and make sure you leave with no regrets. Like for example, if you see something you want to buy, buy it! I’m still kicking myself for not buying this purse I fell in love with in Rome lol. Oh, and buy the souvenir group photo taken in front of the Eiffel Tower… forgot to mention that before. It’s a beautiful photo and a great keepsake. I’m an idiot and lost mine in Rome during the transfer from the airport to the hotel which was depressing, I wish I still had it. But anyway like I said, if you ever have any more questions, feel free to ask! Clearly I like to talk about Europe haha. You’re going to have an amazing time :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.