Community_discussions_small  

Question

Travelling alone

15 Dec 2012 Manda asked

Default_avatar

Hey,

I haven't done a contiki your before and I was thinking about it. I would be travelling alone and was wondering what this is like? Do the groups generally all stick together and go around or everyone goes their separate ways? I don't really like the idea of hanging by myself at night in pubs.

Any info ppl have would be great

Manda :-)

• 16 Dec 2012 Shecontiki said

Default_avatar

Hi Manda,
    I’ve done several contiki’s traveling by myself and from my experience you certainly won’t be hanging out by yourself in pubs, basically there is pretty much something always planned whether you go out with the group to a pub/club after dinner or depending on the tour people will sit in the hotel bar, it all depends on you and what you like to do, traveling by yourself you do have to put in a bit more effort to mingle with fellow contikiers but just remember the majority of the fellow travellers are by themselves too. Contiki is what you make it.

• 16 Dec 2012 Manda said

Default_avatar

Hi shecontiki,

Thank you very much! That is good to know! You’ve def made me feel better about going on one :-)

• 23 Dec 2012 interface2x said

interface2x

Personally, I think it’s more fun to go by myself on these. If you go with a friend, you have the tendency to keep among yourselves and shy away from the group. On your own, you pretty much have no choice but to talk to people and get to know them. At the end of the day, it’s so worth getting to know people on your tours. I went with a friend on my first one and then did two more all by myself.

I still regularly talk to all kinds of people I met on my tours – one of whom I would consider among my best friends now. In fact, he just texted me while I was writing this post.

• 28 Dec 2012 ldodsy said

ldodsy

Hi Manda,
    I have travelled with contiki as well as traveling on a non tour holiday each time I have gone I have gone by myself, I prefer the freedom of traveling solo it makes you speak with other people.
    I did my first contiki way back in 2001 (Showing my age now) and went by myself, I was nervous about it given I had no real idea how it would all operate but like shecontiki said, you have to speak with your fellow travelers you will find there might be people on yoru tour who are not up for aprtying all night long but from my own personal experience with Contiki it was a simple matter of when we all got hungry we all went out looking for somewhere to eat.
    There will be some people who will stay away partly from the group but everyone is there for the same thing to have a great time and to have an adventure, trust me when I say you will love it.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.