Community_discussions_small  

Question

European Discovery vs. European Encounter

19 Dec 2012 Miss Candi asked

Miss Candi

Hi guys

I am wanting to plan a Contiki tour of Europe next December 2013.

Which of these two tours would you recommend? The only thing holding me back from the 16 day one is that I am not sure how much leave I would have accumulated by that time.

If you have been on either of the two tours I would love to hear about your experience!

Candi

• 19 Dec 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

well, I havent done either, but it seems the differences between the two is the Encounter has a two-night stop in the French Riviera and Lucerne, and a 1 night stop over in Fontager and Innsbruck, while the Discovery has a one night stop over in Munich and the Tyrol, and only 1 night in Lucerne. If I had to choose between these two I’d definitely go with the Encounter. Although, personally I think 2 weeks in Europe isnt enough. If you can somehow do it, I suggest a longer tour (Panorama?)

• 19 Dec 2012 sammi said

sammi

i havent been on either but i have booked onto the European Discovery for the 1st august 2013, and really looking forward to it, as a solo traveller i think this will suit me best :), it visits all the places im intrested in and im not spending to long in these for example tyrol and lucrene, i think its whatever one most attracts you :)

• 20 Dec 2012 Janelle said

Janelle

I have booked the European encounter (16 days) for me and my sister for june-july. the good thing about the european encounter is that it is all hotels. I first looked at the discovery, but learn that we needed to carry sleeping bags and only for about 6 nights use-it is a bit of a hassle really. good luck. have fun on your holiday.

• 20 Dec 2012 Miss Candi said

Miss Candi

Thanks guys! I would love to spend a longer amount of time over in Europe but unfortunately I can’t at this stage due to work. As long as I can get a taste of each country and see and do all of the major attractions in each I’ll be happy.

I might do the tour with two friends who live in the U.K, but there is a possibility that I’ll be doing it solo, which I don’t really mind.

Thanks Janelle! I didn’t know about the sleeping bag thing with the Discovery, knowing me I would probably loose it! & with it being winter at the time I’ll be there a mere sleeping bag wouldn’t be sufficient for warmth.

All the best for your tours! Hope you all have the time of your lives! :)

• 20 Dec 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

Both the Discovery and Encounter tours are Superior tours meaning you stay in hotels all the time. I don’t know what Janelle is talking about. She may be mixing that up with another tour.

• 20 Dec 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

I think you’re mixing the Discovery tour up with another tour. The only Contiki tours that you need a sleeping bag on are the camping ones, and both the Discovery and Encounter tours are Superior tours meaning you stay in hotels all the time

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion