Community_discussions_small  

Comment

aussies & vaccinations

25 Feb 2007 Ang25 said

Default_avatar
hi there,
have any aussies that are leaving soon for europe had to get vaccinations? if so were they optional or mandatory? i have been reccomended by a constant overseas traveller to get them even if they werent mandatory, they said its better to take the safe option.Is anyone getting any before they go.
I will be going to western & eastern europe.
  • 25 Feb 2007 Glennl said

Default_avatar

Hi,

I am going on the European inspiration plus going to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates and Singapore, my doctor advised Tetanus and Diptheria injections. Hope this helps

Regards

Glenn

• 25 Feb 2007 lmn_82 said

Default_avatar

Ang

Hi i just got back from Europe (European Discovery, and was told by my doctor that the needles weren’t mandatory, but it is a good idea to get them done.

I had needles before i left which was a tetnus booster and the hep. Tetnus is a big thing over in european countries.

I would go wth hte advice from your friend that has travelled as they would have an idea.

lee Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 25 Feb 2007 r4v3r said

Default_avatar

I can’t remember the last time I had a vaccination… I think the last one I had was when i was really young – a jab in the butt cheek! Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

Do they still vaccinate you in the bum? hehe.

• 25 Feb 2007 Wella said

Default_avatar

I am lucky as I already have my Hep shots as I needed to get them for work. So I will probably just go to my doctor and see what they recommend, someone said a flu shot which I think is a good idea. Although working in childcare I am pretty immune to the flu now, I am around someone that has some kind of flu nearly every single day. ha ha ha

Ohh thought I would also add that I think I am paying about $80 or something like that, for my Hep shots and you need to get 3. Well you get one, then the second one a month later, and then another one 6 months later, so allow like 7 months to get the whole course. This is the Twinex shots for Hep A and Hep B.

• 25 Feb 2007 Ang25 said

Default_avatar

i got the dose of hep shots in school but i think they were only for hep B. does anyone remember how long they last for?? i got mine in like yr 10 or 11 and its been 7years since then

• 25 Feb 2007 Wella said

Default_avatar

Dont quote me on this Ang but I think they are for life, although sometimes people may need a booster. You can actually go to the doctor and ask for a serology and they will check to see what you are immune against and what you are not, so you could get checked for immunity against hep b.

• 26 Feb 2007 Wella said

Default_avatar

Flu shots are free? I am sure I paid for my last one (although that was a few years ago). Although I do have childcare immunity. ha ha ha I am probably gonna be the one wiping everyones noses when they are too sick to do it themselves.

• 26 Feb 2007 lmn_82 said

Default_avatar

Normally when you have the last booster shot this should cover you for life, but i would check with ur doctor..

I know tetnus lasts 10yrs

• 27 Feb 2007 dolphincass said

Default_avatar

My doctor has advised that we get a whole bunch of shots – meningococcal meningitis, tetanus, hep A & B, typhoid, yellow fever, and a flu shot. We are doing an Egypt tour as well as the Road To Athens tour though.

• 27 Feb 2007 r4v3r said

Default_avatar

Whoa… that’s a lot of shots… hopefully you don’t get them all at once – otherwise you’ll look like am addict with needle marks up and down your arm… not to mention how sore and bruised your arm/shoulder will be! Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

• 27 Feb 2007 Lizzie... said

Default_avatar

LOL, i hope you are only kidding!

• 1 Mar 2007 meegs13 said

Default_avatar

mayb check out this website
    The Travel Doctor

• 1 Mar 2007 Pazzar said

Default_avatar

My doctor said that i should have hep a and b, and if i want to go to eastern europe – then typhoid as well.

• 1 Mar 2007 Kylie85 said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone,
    when i visited my doctor he said that no vaccinations were necessary for Europe. My boyfriend went to a different doctor and was told the same Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> . As i am visting Egypt for a month before me tour and then travelling through Russia and Mongolia on my way to China I was told to get chollera (sic) and Hep a + B, oh and typood. the good news is that i had a blood test and found that I am already amune to Hep a and Hep b… so no injestions for me!!! the typood comes in a vial that you mix with water and drink.. easy as. the Chollera comes in 3 pills which you take every second day then your good for two years.
    They are not that pricey, and well worth the piece of mind.
    cheers.

• 20 Mar 2007 Ang25 said

Default_avatar

i checked with my doc and he recommended tetnus, he said everything else is fine aslong as im not going to egypt, turkey or asia ect.. so i should be fine,so he gave it to me today. my arm bloody HURTS now though! feels like someone hit me with a cricket bat in the arm.. Im a big sook when it comes to pain Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

• 20 Mar 2007 Chris_V said

Chris_V

hey all I am traveling over to Europe and then I am going to ireland after my tour do I need any injections ?

• 21 Mar 2007 Jaybe said

Default_avatar

Hey,

I am off to europe in september on a 22 day camping tour and totally did not think of vacinations….

I am going to india for 2 mths in may for work and i have been having needles after needles i have to take tablets daily while i am there and after i return to australia….

i did not think we would need any needles but it is crazy what you need to remember like dont brush your teeth unless you have bottled or boiled water… dont accept ice at a resturant….

i have 4 more needles to go so wish me lunch …

• 18 Jan 2008 nazza1 said

Default_avatar

i plan to get my tetnus only coz i had mine like 15 years ago so itll be good

• 18 Jan 2008 MikeEd said

Default_avatar

Given that there is likly to be so many ozies onthe bus, what other injections do the rest of us need to get? Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

• 19 Jan 2008 Vivz said

Default_avatar

Is this true about not brushing your teeth unless you have bottle, or boiled water?
    I thought this only comply to a few european countries… not all.

I’ll be definately getting all my necessary shots before leaving australia. Secretly.. I’m so not looking forward to having needles jabbed in my arm!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.