Community_discussions_small  

Question

Phone use in the USA

27 Dec 2012 PaulaJ asked

PaulaJ

Hi Guys,
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I am going to the states in Jan and I have a Iphone, I dont want to make phone calls or text messages to people in Aus I would rather be able to use my facebook or emails for them. However I would like to be able to possibly make calls to other numbers in the states. I do not want to get Roaming because I do not wish to get ripped off. If someone has some advise I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks Paula

• 27 Dec 2012 @matthew said

Default_avatar

Tmobile. $50/month.

• 27 Dec 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

buy a calling card when you’re in the States

• 19 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

I’m just going to get a sim card once I get too the states and then put it into my phone.. although I dont hav e an Iphone.. and I know how annoying they can be.. But this is what they guy at the phone shop reccommended to me :)

• 19 Feb 2013 tracysyd said

tracysyd

When I was in the US about 18 months ago I planned to get a sim from t-mobile (probably the one matthew said) and put it in my iPhone. unfortunately optus didn’t unlock it properly so i couldn’t. I’m going back in 2 months and I am planning on doing exactly that (I have checked its unlocked now!) I’d say if you’re gone for a month or more its the way to go. You get data, calls in the us and you can add on unlimited international calls and text for $10. I used my mobile pretty sparingly the last time and still had to pay like $45 above my cap. Plus I really wanted data for when I didn’t have wifi (I’m heaps blonde with directions so I’d love to have google maps!) so anyway that’s my plan!

• 6 Apr 2013 Selina said

Selina

Hi,Tracy. Can I ask how do you check your phone is locked or unlocked? Thanks :)

• 6 Apr 2013 tracysyd said

tracysyd

Hey Selina, I tried many ways, including going into Optus and asking them, they were freaking useless by the way, but easiest way is to put in a sim card from another carrier. I bought one from all phones for vodafone for like $2 and if you put it in an it works, then it’s unlocked apparently. It should recognize the network of the new sim but obviously you won’t be able to make calls or anything. Hope this helps

• 7 Apr 2013 Selina said

Selina

Thanks heaps Tracy. It helps a lot!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.