Community_discussions_small  

Comment

ekit, sim cards, and cell phones

24 Nov 2009 oooteresa said

Default_avatar
I'm from the US and totally clueless about cell phones and SIM cards and international calling costs.

I want to be able to make local calls/texts while traveling in Australia (to friends I will be meeting up with after the tour) and also have a local number so they can call/text me.

I know I will need an unlocked cell and purchase a prepaid SIM card. Do you recommend I wait until I arrive there to purchase everything? Or are the Contiki ekit phones and calling plans a good deal? http://contiki.ekit.com/ekit/M...Info/Service/au_just

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. And I'm leaving in 2 weeks so I need the advice sooooon! Thanks!
  • 27 Nov 2009 TimTammer said

TimTammer

Who is your current provider in the US because not all of them are GSM. AT&T and T-mobil are and one like Verizon is not. As far as I know only GSM phones will work in Australia.

But if yours is then swapping the current card out for the contiki one should work fine if the phone isn’t locked as you said (my bet is that the Iphone and most blackberries are unfortunately).

You might find it easier to find a store and get a pre-paid Aussie cell phone from Telestra, Vodafone or Optus and this should be quite cheap.

• 28 Nov 2009 patchie89 said

Default_avatar

You could contact your current provider and see what deals they offer on international charges and service etc.
    Im not sure about calling back to the US etc but best idea if you want to keep in contact with Australians would be to check that your phone is not locked and then buy a sim card here in australia.
    If your phone is locked then you can pick up new (but extrememly old phones) for under one hundred dollars with someone like telstra in australia which u could use just while on holiday and that way it doesnt matter much if u lose it either

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.