Community_discussions_small  

Question

Spending money - Thai Hopper West

8 Jan 2013 katelyn asked

katelyn

Hey! I'm doing the Thai Hopper West on the 16th Jan.

Just wondering for those who have been or are going... How much spending money should I bring?

I've never travelled Asia before and I'm nervous I won't have enough.

Thanks!

PS I know there's heaps of threads on this but I've never really seen a definitive answer.

• 8 Jan 2013 Timbo88 said

Timbo88

Hey Katelym. $100 a day is more than enough. I did it in October and that covered all my food, massive amounts of drinking, buying bits and pieces etc. have more money around $150 to do all optional activities if you want too. Then a bit more just incase for shopping :)

• 8 Jan 2013 katelyn said

katelyn

Awesome :) thanks!!

So do you mean 150 a day to include the extras or just a spare 150? I think I’m going to be the poor one on my tour since I’m holidaying for a bit before and after and I’ve got to spread my money!

How much is a night out with heaps of drinking?? :)

• 8 Jan 2013 Timbo88 said

Timbo88

Yeah $150 spare for the activities which you pay up fron on the first day. about 4500 baht from memory. Umm depends what you drink but put probably around $40 is ample. You get these things called buckets at most places, where they mix spirits of your choice for around 400 baht, about $11, but they have like four shots of whatever spirit you want, compared to back home where one shot of a scotch of vodka is like $7.50, you basically get 4 lots in one! They are awesome! I mainly drank beers for like $3 or less and it definitely is much cheaper than at home that’s for sure :)

• 9 Jan 2013 Laura.Amy said

Laura.Amy

Having the same problem katelyn.. The one thing I haven’t finalized yet.. Are you planning to do any of the optional activities???
    Thanks for the advice timbo, hard to guess the right amount sometimes :)

• 9 Jan 2013 katelyn said

katelyn

Awesome! Thanks Timbo.

I’m going to have to become a beer girl.. or do shots at the hotel before hand! Haha.

Laura – I think I will.. I mean will everyone do it? They’re only $100 all together or something like that. What about you?

• 9 Jan 2013 Timbo88 said

Timbo88

Definitely worth doing all of them. Highly recommend it. The boat cruises and snorkling are awesome! And the elephant ride is an awesome experience. They do a ladyboy cabaret show too, that was the only kind of boring thing I got over quickly.

• 12 Jan 2013 Karyn said

Karyn

Hey guys,
    I did this tour in December and I spent about $700 for the 9 day tour and the extra 3 days I was there too. I paid for all the optionals which totalled to about $150 I think (this included two day excursions, elephant ride, and simon’s cabaret). I found that food is really cheap and I’m not a big drinker but if you find the right places they do pretty cheap drinks/buckets or just go during happy hour. Or bring your own alcohol :P
    Hope that helps. Enjoy!

• 13 Jan 2013 Kaila said

Kaila

Hey I am going March 2nd. So Timbo $150 will cover all the extra activities? Thanks for the info! :)

• 13 Jan 2013 Timbo88 said

Timbo88

hey KayKay. Definitely will cover it. Im assuming Canadian Dollars roughly are the same exchange rate as Aussie Dollars atm. Basically it is about 4500 Thai Baht from memory paid for all the optional activities, which is good value for money for what you get from all of them. You will have a blast. Enjoy it :)

• 30 Jan 2013 Laura said

Laura

This forum was very helpful thanks everyone..

• 19 Apr 2013 sammyb said

sammyb

yeh thanks guys this defenatly helped me as well going on the thail hopper east next weekend

• 19 Apr 2013 sammyb said

sammyb

ive been told the same things by friends who have just been and they didnt even do a tour

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion