Community_discussions_small  

Comment

planes

26 Feb 2009 Explorer1124356 said

Default_avatar
Hey!
So...I need some advice. I have paid my deposit to go on a tour this May. But..I am a VERY nervous flyer..to the point where I am considering not going on the trip anymore.. Any suggestions on overcoming that? I have been on a plane a few other times for shorter flights but still am not that comfortable with the idea of them. Has anyone also been in this position and what did you do?? Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.
  • 26 Feb 2009 PinaI said

PinaI

My friend is also a very nervous traveller and, on her last trip, she took some sleeping tablets so didn’t have to deal with the journey.

I’m not saying that’s the best option and I would definitely “test” the tablets at home before you fly but, if you feel like sleeping through it will make it better then it could work!

• 27 Feb 2009 Lissy said

Default_avatar

Hi! Don’t let that put you off your trip!

I get a little nervous too but I recommend taking a few drops of ‘Rescue Remedy’ in a bit of water 1/2 hour before you flight. Top up every 6 hours or so if you need to. You can get this from any good pharmacy or health food store for around $15 – $20. This works really well for me, it toally calms me down & makes me feel less anxious. It is also recommended for drivers tests, interviews etc so it’s a handy little drop!

Good luck! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->Have a totally awesome trip, you will regret it if you don’t go!

• 1 Mar 2009 Explorer1124356 said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the encouragement. It isn’t so much the motion sickness Im worried about as just the idea of them crashing and stuff like that.. Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

• 1 Mar 2009 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

Hi there,

Most airlines are aware of this fear/phobia.

I take it your flying with someone reputable, singapore, malaysia, qantas, emirates, british?

TIf you advise your airlines your afraid of flying most of them can enrol you in a fear of flying course which you usually do the day before or day your flying out.

Look into this.
    As im not sure if it costs money or if they still do it, as ive been outa the industry for about 3 years.

Brad

• 1 Mar 2009 Explorer1124356 said

Default_avatar

Hey Brad,
    We are planning to fly with British Airways..we did the 1/2 price deal through Contiki. I have heard they have a good reputation for safety and things like that so that makes me feel a little better. STill very nervous tho. I saw on their website that they have a course kind of like you were talking about, however they are only offered throughout the UK it looks like. Any idea whether they might also be in Canada or whether a different airline might have one here? Are these courses very expensive?

• 1 Mar 2009 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

Hey Hey,

I worked for Qantas, and as far as i know they didnt charge.. but times have changed i guess, however British and Qantas codeshare and are basically partners…

Id give British Airways Canada office a call and see what they say.

Try www.tripadvisor.com – take 10-15 minutes to work out the site then do a few searches on other people that have travelled with british/done the courses.

Good luck!!

Jealous im not goin back to Europe!! :-(

• 3 Mar 2009 Explorer1124356 said

Default_avatar

Hey!
    Thanks again for all the info Brad. It’s been helpful. So..working for an airline..would you suggest that they are relatively safe then?!?! lol!

• 3 Mar 2009 Andrea (Ea) said

Andrea (Ea)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AussieTraveller:
    Hey!
    I recently got home from contiki and other travells and before i left i was totally freaked out about the flight. Because I went to Italy a few years ago and was sick the entire flight there and the entire flight home from motion sickness – not fun!. But this time i was okay, i recommend Travacalm – works like a charm, puts you to sleep! Also grab a good book, and wear comfy clothes and take a comfy travel pillow. Most long haul flights these days have TV’s built into the back of every seat so you have access to your own entertainment aswell. But try not to stress, you’ll be fine!!!!!
    Good luck!
    Simone.

I wouldn’t take Travacalm if I were you, there has recently been a recall of it

• 3 Mar 2009 Bradleyc123 said

Bradleyc123

Haha well i did work for Qantas – the safest airline in the world….

But yes your more likely to die of a bee sting then in a plane crash.

As long as you dont fly with Garuda Airlines or some of the smaller south american firms you will be fine.

And your flying British which are pretty good… to bad they cruddy old 747’s haha

Youll be fine!

• 3 Mar 2009 Explorer1124356 said

Default_avatar

haha..sooo Im not sure if Im just not good with travel terms..or what..but what did you mean by they cruddy old 747s!? And thanks for the encouragement!! I need all I can get! lol

Bradleyc123

oh sorry, British just has a reputation for haven “older” cabins, as they still use the 747-400? series i think it…

The 747s tho dont worry are a brilliant plane, i mean theyve been in use for over 20 years.

try a site called www.seatguru.com

find your flight details (exact plane) and choose your seat via their recommendations.

The site will tell u best places to sit for turbulence or temperature ie, near the exit doors r colder…

Most big airlines will still use the 747s but most are also upgrading do the Airbus A 380’s.

Tho you are flying from canada so im not sure as im an aussie we have to use big long haul carriers for this journey.

So i basically wrote all that for nothing haha

Check your ticket, find out what plane model is it, even if u cant find it and u wanna email me your flight numbers i can find that out straight away.

Then check seatguru :-)

Bradleyc123

Sorry, i ramble on

• 6 Mar 2009 Rachael said

Default_avatar

I wouldnt worry about flying, it is the safest form of transport!

Your more likely to get killed by a kicking donkey than in a plane crash! And unless you live by alot of donkeys then I think your going to be just fine.

Definatly try out some natural remedies, they work a treat!

Do make sure that you inform the flight attendents so they can keep an eye on you and help you out through termbulance etc, if they know it makes it easier for them to help you.

Enjoy your trip!

• 14 Mar 2009 Jules27 said

Default_avatar

Hi, what tour are you doing in May?

I too am a very nervous flyer, though I have been getter better over the years. I won’t do small flights, only big domestic planes. I figure the bigger the plane the more chance I have and I trust them a bit more. I just convince myself it is ok, and think about the number of planes flying around the world that you don’t hear anything bad about.

I’ve accepted the fact that to see anything outside my own country I’m going to have to get on a plane, and I don’t want to lose that experience by letting a little fear get in the way. Having said this, this fear is the reason I’m doing the adventurer tour rather than the ultimate tour, I didn’t want to get on a little plane to go to Egypt!!

• 16 Mar 2009 Explorer1124356 said

Default_avatar

Hey!
    Wow..you described what I feel like pretty closely!! I have never actually been on a big domestic flight..well an international one anyways. Im doing the Magic tour in May. Well..thats the plan anyways!! Good that you’re getting better about flying..hopefully I will follow that pattern!! Thanks for your input!

• 16 Mar 2009 Explorer1124356 said

Default_avatar

Hey Explorer 1126394,
    I just had a question for you. Do you feel like really scared and nervous before you leave for trips then?? I know I am going to be a wreck before leaving because Im worried about the plane ride. IF you are like that too..any tips on calming yourself down? What do you do about it?? Thanks.

• 18 Mar 2009 Kristyn! said

Default_avatar

I’m sooo scared about flying too.
    i had one trip to canberra from brisbane
    and back and the rest i’m too young to remember..
    in reality, I know the chances of crashing
    are slim..but i still get really nervous of the
    thought..especially because im going solo and have no one in my ear calming me down..
    I’ve heard people talking about heaps
    of movies playing and stuff like that to
    kill time..so i’m hoping that will side track me
    plus i heard they are all pretty new movies.
    i also plan to take sleeping tablets.
    your not alone im so afraid.
    europe will be worth the fear though Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    hope you have the time of your life!!!

• 18 Mar 2009 Natalee520 said

Natalee520

Hey!

I get really nervous flying too…not about the motion, but about the possibility of crashing, so I can feel your pain. I talked to my Dr. about it, and she prescribed some antianxiety meds. I just take one about an hour before the flight, and it really helps calm me down. I think also just knowing that I have something to help helps too! And the meds I take make me kinda sleepy, so I can usually sleep for most of the flight, which makes it seem like the time passes much faster! So maybe ask your Dr. if he/she can give you anything.

Good luck!

• 18 Mar 2009 ChestyLaRue said

ChestyLaRue

My dad used to tell me

Remember, the pilots don’t want to crash either

That used to make me feel better.

• 18 Mar 2009 Explorer1124356 said

Default_avatar

haha, thats a good call on the pilot thing!! Im glad to know Im not the only one thinking of going on one of these tours that is really scared of the flight part of things!! Are you guys worried leading up to the flight as well? What do you do like the week or so before to not worry so much?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion