Community_discussions_small  

Comment

First time in NZ

5 Jun 2010 Irelandfan said

Default_avatar
Hi there!
I´m going to NZ for the first time, so maybe someone can answer some questions:
How can you get from the airport to the hotel in Christchurch?
How do you get from the hotel to the airport in Auckland?
How is winter in NZ? Do I realy need warm winter clothes or is it like Australian winter with shorts and t-shirt?
Anything I should definitly do or not do in Christchurch and Auckland?
Anywhere cheap internet cafes? For example where the first half hour is for free?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Thanks for helping!
  • 6 Jun 2010 kimmy said

Default_avatar

Hi there, im from nz so maybe i can help
    How can you get from the airport to the hotel in Christchurch? there are taxis always at the airport
    How do you get from the hotel to the airport in Auckland? taxi or airport shuttles ( need to book a shuttle)
    How is winter in NZ? Do I realy need warm winter clothes or is it like Australian winter with shorts and t-shirt?winter here isnt like in OZ, its cooold! from mid may to sep you will need really warm gear, a jacket is a must!
    Anything I should definitly do or not do in Christchurch and Auckland? for this you might need to give me some examples, everything is preety good. let me know what trip ur interested in and i will try my best to help out
    Anywhere cheap internet cafes? For example where the first half hour is for free?
    most cities have internet cafes, not sure of price, often council libraires have free/cheap access

• 7 Jun 2010 Irelandfan said

Default_avatar

Hi!
    Thanks for your help.
    So just a fleece jacket or a rain jacket is not enough? It should be a winter jacket?
    Auckland/ Christchurch: On my first day I just want to walk around and get a first feeling for the town and then… maybe a museum, some shopping (any good NZ designers?), any nice markets, a good pub or bar where I could go on my own, a nice restaurant…
    I don´t know what to do.

• 7 Jun 2010 NaHdz said

NaHdz

You’ll need a waterproof Jacket/coat WITH a fleece lining! and layer, layer, layer lol

• 8 Jun 2010 Alicia said

Alicia

Hi there!

I just came back from New Zealand (I was on the Grand Explorer from Auckland to Christchurch), so I can offer a couple of suggestions. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

How can you get from the airport to the hotel in Christchurch? Definitely an airport shuttle. Cabs can cost $60-70 NZD to get you from the airport, and the shuttles are $17. If you land before 5pm, there’s also a bus that’s $5 or $7 (can’t remember exactly) that drops off and picks up in Cathedral Square (if you’re hostel is nearby). An information desk at the airport should help you arrange this.

How do you get from the hotel to the airport in Auckland?
    Again, airport shuttle. I think this cost me $30 NZD from the airport to the CBD, which is pretty far. You’re hotel can probably help with this.

How is winter in NZ? Do I realy need warm winter clothes or is it like Australian winter with shorts and t-shirt? It’s definitely cold! When I was there (through June 1st) it got to 0 degrees Celsius, and that was only the start of winter! Bring lots of layers, rain jackets and warm fleece jackets! Gloves and hats aren’t bad ideas either.

Anything I should definitly do or not do in Christchurch and Auckland? Personally, I didn’t care for Auckland too much. The Auckland Museum is worth a look. It’s not exactly in the center of the city, but you can take a bus there for a few dollars. They have a great exhibit on Maori culture and history if you’re interested. Good way to pass the day if the weather is poor. If it’s nice, I’ve heard that the boat cruises can be fun. I spent very little time in Christchurch so I can’t really recommend much. If you’re into Lord of the Rings (or even if you aren’t), I would highly recommend the Hassle Free Lord of the Rings – Edoras location site visit. They pick you up in Christchurch and drive you into the southern alps. It’s definitely geared towards Lord of the Rings fans, but the scenery can’t be beat! I traveled both islands, and this was definitely my favorite spot! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Anywhere cheap internet cafes? For example where the first half hour is for free? They are scattered throughout both cities. Ask your hotel where the closest is. It really depends on where you are within the city. If you’re at a hostel, they usually have reasonable prices.

As for restaurants, I would highly recommend The Grove in Auckland. It’s pretty pricey, so make sure it fits in your budget first, but it was great! A lot of couples and stuff (which can be a bit awkward if you’re by yourself), but it’s a good meal and totally worth it. Also recommend the Waterfront near the Viaduct (Auckland, again), which has an absolutely fabulous red snapper with mushroom risotto dish for dinner.

Hope you find this helpful! Enjoy your time in New Zealand, it’s a beautiful country!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 8 Jun 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

CHC: Take shuttle to cathedral sq, hotel is 1.8 km away afterwards, but 1.2 km of that is uphill. Take a cab from the cathedral to Bealeys.

sightseeing: Take the bus to the base of hill. then hike up 45 min (or take gondola) to the observatory. Canterbury Museum is also good and free.

Auckland – you can get a discount for the airport shuttle from the hostels.

sightseeing: take a hop on hop off circuit tour. visit the tower – best view is at night from highest observation deck (extra$) but it’s quiet and there are no paw prints on the glass (discount if you have hostel guest card or student id). The www.minus5experience.com is pretty cool to visit with others (and bring your P&S cam if it’s busy even though they say you are not allowed – the pics are a rip off).

- Vic

• 9 Jun 2010 kimmy said

Default_avatar

in auckland things are pretty spread out to visit so good idea to plan ur day to get the most out of ur time. In a place called mission bay just out of town there are lovely views and good choice of places to eat.
    wandering round town the sky tower is a must see!

Christchucrch ( or chch as us locals say) is pretty cold but lovely. there are cable cars in the city which is a fun and cool to do as well.

I would recoomend googling both cities local info websites to give you more ideas ( and prices) any more questions, throw them at me!

• 13 Jun 2010 Irelandfan said

Default_avatar
    posted by Alicia:
    Hi there!

I just came back from New Zealand (I was on the Grand Explorer from Auckland to Christchurch), so I can offer a couple of suggestions. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Hi!
    Thanks for your information.
    Maybe you could me a bit more about the accomodation.
    Was it more basic or more luxury, cos in AUS it was very different. Do they have heating in the rooms?
    Anything you would definetly put in your lugguage?
    Did you often go to night clubs or more to bars/lounges?
    Did you have the same guide/busdriver or did they change from island to island?
    Any optionals you would highly recommend?

Thanks!!!!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.