Community_discussions_small  

Question

NZ for New Years?

26 Apr 2010 Kritta asked

Default_avatar
Hi, I've booked my Grand Explorer trip for early Jan 2011, now I'm trying to decide if I should spend new years in New Zealand...is there much to do there over new years? I assume it will be similar to Australia fireworks etc, but as I'm traveling solo I don't know if it will be as good as being at home.

Any advice?
  • 26 Apr 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

I’d say stay with friends at home then head over to the tour afterwards, however if you happen to be in NZ for New years, then check out hostels such as the BASE for activities and see where people are heading out for the evening.

- Vic

• 10 May 2010 Mel K said

Default_avatar

Hey, im doing the Grand Explorer in Jan 2011 too. Which date does your tour start?
    Ive decided to go for new years, dont know what there is to do there but i guess ill find out on the 31st!
    Let us know what youve decided :-)

• 10 May 2010 Kritta said

Default_avatar

Hey, I’m doing the Grand Explorer Reverse (starting Christchurch) starting on the 3rd of Jan.

I still haven’t decided about new years – on one hand I want to go and on the other I don’t know if it will be worth it.

Are you travelling alone?
    I was thinking of doing new years in Auckland and then heading down to christchurch the day before my tour.

• 10 May 2010 cocoa86 said

Default_avatar

Personally, Kritta, I would definitely go for new years.
    Having said that I love staying at hostels and partying with new random people! It can be hit and miss if there’s good people there, but I think on new years many would be up for a good time.
    (This also might have something to do with the fact that new years is always a let down for me! Hmm, maybe I should go too!Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->)
    I stayed at Nomad’s fusion in Auckland, which was awesome.

• 2 Aug 2010 Kylie said

Kylie

If you’re looking for a NYE event. I can recommend Rhythm and Vines in Gisborne. AWESOME!

• 3 Aug 2010 Explorer1200389 said

Default_avatar

hey guys,

I was thinking the exact same thing. The only time I can go on this contiki is over new year, but wasn’t sure if I should because I’m also travelling solo. If I know there are other solo travelling females, I’ll definitely book.

• 3 Aug 2010 Explorer1200389 said

Default_avatar

Also someone started a fb group for Contiki NZ (Grand Explorer Dec 30th 2010-Jan 13th 2011)

http://www.facebook.com/home.p…9257849435212&ref=ts

Thats an easy way to meet people before the contiki Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 3 Aug 2010 Clare said

Clare

Hey! I’m also doing NZ over New Years’ – leaving via Christchurch though, not Auckland. I have joined a Facebook group for this tour:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=137292639626993

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.