Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Getting around Ho Chi Minh

22 Jun 2010 kimmy_m1986 said

kimmy_m1986
Hi all,

I'm doing the Vietnam Experience on 24Aug.
I'm travelling solo and flying into Ho Chi Minh City a day earlier so I can see some of the sights before my tour and I'm just wanting some advice on the best way to get around.
I'd like to be able to just walk everywhere but I'm terrified about having to cross the street as the traffic there is crazy!
And I've heard that taxis can rip you off big time.
I'd love to hear what past travellers have done?
  • 23 Jun 2010 kimmy_m1986 said

kimmy_m1986

Thanks Praha,

The Contiki tour takes us to the Chu Chi tunnels anyway and we also do a quick city tour which includes the Reunification Palace and War Remnants Museum.
    I was thinking of just do my own walking tour of the main city area and seeing places like the Notre Dame Cathedral, General Post Office and the Ho Chi Minh City Museum.
    Have you been to the Jade Emperor Pagoda and if so would you recommend it?
    Also do you know roughly how much a metered taxi to Cholon should cost?

kimmy_m1986

Thanks so much for your suggestions Praha,

This is a big help! I haven’t been to Singapore so I think I will still make the trip out to the Jade Emperor Pagoda and I think I’ll do what you suggested about asking the hotel people about the taxis Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I’m still a bit nervous about getting around on foot but I’ve heard if you’re really scared they have ‘tourist police’ who can help you, lol. Otherwise I’ll just follow the locals when they cross the road!

kimmy_m1986

Haha, great videos! Eeker<!--graemlin::eek:-->
    I think I will just try and cross with the locals and hope that I survive!

• 23 Jun 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Hahaha … that was awesome … just like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CU1PR4d1wM

- Vic

• 24 Jun 2010 kimmy_m1986 said

kimmy_m1986

Thanks Praha,
    I’ve also heard you can get cyclo drivers to take you around for the whole day. My mum and her partner did this when they went to Vietnam but unfortunately they forgot to negotiate a price first and he charged them AUD150 each!
    Do you know what the going rate should be?

• 25 Jun 2010 kimmy_m1986 said

kimmy_m1986

Thanks so much Praha,
    This information is a big help! At least now I don’t feel so nervous.
    Contiki takes us to most of the touristy places and I only have a day and a half there so I think I will just do the Jade Emperor Pagoda and then maybe the Cholon area and the market because that is close to the hotel Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 28 Jun 2010 kimmy_m1986 said

kimmy_m1986

I have now discovered a group called Saigon Hotpot. This is a group of university students who do tours around Ho Chi Minh city for free, however you are expected to pay transport costs and just buy them lunch and they will take you wherever you want to go, and they can meet you at your hotel.
    This sounds like a good idea because at least then you have local knowledge and don’t have to worry about being on your own Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.