Community_discussions_small  

Comment

tour changes

17 Dec 2007 Andrew said

Andrew
Hi I was looking at this site yesterday and saw that the Europena Escapade tour was 25 days long. Today it says 27 days. Also the dates have changed. I am new to this site so I dont know what happened. Also are there any tours that are guarenteed?

Thanks
  • 17 Dec 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

Its okay Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> nothing has changed, you’ve just been looking at different sites without realising.

If you looked at contiki.com then you are looking at the US site, for people travelling from the US or Canada the tours have 2 extra days and start 2 days earlier. The reason? Their day of departure is the day they leave their home country. Australians and Kiwis (and everyone else) have Day 1 of their tour as the day they leave London…which is Day 3 for US/Canada.

Hope that clears it up.

Also, there are tours that are guaranteed, they are marked by an asterisk…its also possible that some will be made guaranteed departures but they just haven’t been updated on the web yet.

Additionally, once you are within 45 days of your departure date, your tour become guaranteed.

• 17 Dec 2007 Andrew said

Andrew

Ohhhh okay yeh I was thinking that might have been the case. Thanks.

So a tour can be cancelled if there aren’t enough people? And if it is cancelled then what happens are you moved to a later or earlier date?

How often are tours cancelled?

• 18 Dec 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

I started to answer your question but decided to give you Contiki’s own words from the FAQ section of the website…

Are the tour departures guaranteed?
    We guarantee that we will not reschedule any European tours within 50 days of departure through peak season (May 1st to October 15th) unless circumstances occur that are beyond our control. (Note: the departure guarantee does not apply to America, Australia or New Zealand tours which are normally guaranteed with minimum of 6 weeks).

In Europe we have designated a large number of tours which we guarantee will operate on the scheduled date, unless circumstances occur beyond our control. Look for the Guaranteed Departure symbol (Guaranteed Departure) against individual departure dates on the itinerary of your choice.

What happens to my deposits or money when my tour is advised non-operative?
    In most instances, if not all, Contiki will provide a minimum of 6 weeks notice to give you ample time to consider our alternative offer in tour departure date, or tours that are fairly similar in duration or itinerary. In the event, alternative offers are not acceptable, Contiki will refund all the deposits or money paid in advance for your tour.

As for how often tours are cancelled, no one can be sure. There is a thread about it on this board (searched for “cancelled tours”) but generally it is the smaller regional tours that are cancelled. But it also depends on the season etc.

The best advice, is to book when you want to book it, if possible book your flights with a couple of days buffer before and after your tour, and most important GET TRAVEL INSURANCE Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 18 Dec 2007 Andrew said

Andrew

Thanks for that. I found a bit of info on here yesterday about it. I will definately be getting travel insurance.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion