Community_discussions_small  

Question

Carrying cash OR travellers cheques?

27 Feb 2010 *Aussie Gal* asked

*Aussie Gal*
Hi everyone!

Hopefully will be having my own adventure soon!

Is it best to carry a visa debit card, cash or travellers cheques while doing a tour?
  • 27 Feb 2010 Ryan said

Ryan

what i did which seemed to work pretty well for me was to mainly use cash but have a credit card as a back up. I don’t think you can use debit to pay for anything unless you’re bank’s in Europe (don’t quote me on that though) but I’d take maybe 200-300 euros out at a time from atm machines every few days. Not many people from my tour had traveler’s cheques and there’s not always easy spots to use them at.

• 28 Feb 2010 *Aussie Gal* said

*Aussie Gal*

Thanks Ryan! So, what about while in London, is it Euros or Pounds? Im a bit confused…lol

• 6 Mar 2010 TashD said

TashD

hey amandeez…. London = pounds

what about those Travelex money cards??!

• 7 Mar 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

Travelex money cards are very popular with those from Oz.

As for travelers Cheques, I generally avoid them. However, i get them without a fee from my bank. I will usually get a little before my trip as a back up and if I don’t use them just redeposit them into my bank. But as a primary way of carrying money they are a pain and will cause you to waist time.

• 8 Mar 2010 Vic said

Default_avatar

I agree I generally used Cash though I had a couple of hundred dollars in travellers cheques for emergencies.

• 22 Mar 2010 CatherineOz said

Default_avatar

I used a mix of cash and cards. Just made sure I got large sums of cash out at a time so I wasn’t paying to much in withdrawal fees. Some people used those travelex cards on my tour and the worked well, particularly as you can get a back-up card to carry with you etc. I only know of one of two people on my tour had travellers cheques and it was always a hassle for them to cash them.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion