Community_discussions_small  

Question

December 14th 08?

7 Nov 2007 Kathryn asked

Default_avatar
Hi Everyone
Ok I know its ages away, but is anyone booked this tour yet? Or thinking about going on this tour. I've booked it already, just because i think it'll fill up quickly cos its over xmas.

I'm 21 and from Melbourne

I am totally excited about spending christmas in new york!!!!! And then thinking about staying for new years... hehe how exciting
  • 7 Jan 2008 Maria23 said

Maria23

You’re going in 2008?

Wow ur really organised! I want to go on this tour too, but won’t have a deposit ready until next year.

I’m also thinking of continuing and doing the new york, new year trip. may as well, will have travelled all the way from Australia!

I’m 23 – will u be travelling with friends?

• 8 Jan 2008 Conrado said

Default_avatar

I’m probably going on this trip too girls, i’m travelling alone, how about you?

• 9 Jan 2008 Maria23 said

Maria23

i’m going with 3 others, starting off with a 5 day stopover in Hawaii, continuing on with Best of USA, then finishing with new york new year.

i can’t wait to have a 08 white christmas!!

are u guys gona be planning straight up, or waiting until the tour and seeing what others are doing, before planning the sightseeing (like empire state or alcatraz etc…)?

• 9 Jan 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar

Hi Guys

Yeah I’m travelling alone. I have accomodation booked in new york post-tour to stay for new years eve. Pre tour I have no idea what i’m doing. I’m very keen to do hawaii stopover, but i’m thinking about South America and Canada as well. I can’t wait. Where abouts are you guys from? Maria23 who are the others you’re travelling with.

Kat x

• 9 Jan 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar

oh and Maria23 i forgot to respond to your sightseeing question. I am defnitely going to alcatraz and the statue of liberty. I’m not sure but i think we have to book alcatraz ourselves before the tour… but i assuming the statue of liberty would be an optional selected on the tour. Do you know much about this?

Kat x

• 10 Jan 2008 Maria23 said

Maria23

I don’t have too many details yet. i’m going overseas next week, so i may be getting a little ahead of myself planning another one already (hehe) but i know what i definitely want to do!

I was thinking of also maybe going to Boston or Washington DC during the break before NYE. But i have a feeling i’m gonna fall in love with NY, so i think i’ll end up staying in NY once Best of USA finishes, until NY new year. it’d probably give me some time to R & R before NYE!

i’m definitely having a 5-day stoppover in Hawaii before starting up with Best of.

Things to do for sure:

– see a Letterman show
    – walk sunset boulevard
    – Disneyland LA
    – take a crusie in san francisco, to see the golden gate and alcatraz. take a tour of alcatraz
    – shop til i drop in Las Vegas retail outlets
    – Do Las Vegas!
    – horse-drawn carriage in central park
    – iceskate in rockefeller centre
    – watch a bball game @ madison square
    – broadway show
    – empire state building
    – statue of liberty
    – coney island

that’s my initial MUST DO list. hehe… what do u have planned?

I’m from Sydney, and will be travelling with 3 other girls. i wonder what a white Christmas will be like. and spending Christmas day on a tour!

• 10 Jan 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar

Hey.. your list sounds really good… i didnt even think of some of the awesome stuff on there – i.e. see a letterman show..

Yeah i now what it feels like. I am going overseas in 6 weeks, so i feel like i’m getting too far ahead of myself as well. I’m doing 3 contiki tours of europe, ireland and egypt so that one will be massive.

I’m probably gonna go to the US about 4 weeks before the best of starts.. i really wanna see the miami and new orleans, and some other southern and eastern states. I’m leaving the places close to new york (i.e. boston, DC, philadephia)for that gap after tour and nye.

I’m trying to make up my mind before the cheap flights are released, but its so hard tryna figure out what to do.

I’m so excited about this tour. Ive always wanted to spend xams on a tour. Its miles away but im sure it’ll fly by. I’m travelling by myself, so its good to have been able to speak to someone before tour starts. Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 10 Jan 2008 Denise said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone,

I am booked on this trip. My plan at this stage is to arrive in LA on 13 Dec and leave NY on 26 Dec and fly to Hawaii for a couple of days to thaw out on the way home, possibly stay in Hawii for NYE.

I will be travelling alone and have always wanted to do a Contiki tour!

• 11 Jan 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar

Hey Denise

I’m also travelling alone so that makes two of us Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

nye in hawaii sounds really good too Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->

we are all going to have such an awesome time!!!

• 29 Jan 2008 Maria23 said

Maria23

looks like my plans have changed. my friends and i are spending some time in canada before best of, then going to hawaii on the 26th to spend NYE there.

so don’t think i’ll end up spending too much time in NY, other than what’s included in the tour Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

hopefully NYE in hawaii will be just as good (i.e. at least be warm Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->)

Denise – u going to Hawaii via contiki? we were thinking of doing the 5-day stopover…

• 30 Jan 2008 Denise said

Default_avatar

Hi Maria,
    I’m definitely doing Best of USA but can’t decide whether to start in Hawaii or finish there. Flights are cheaper if I leave on or before 9 Dec from Syd. I also have a friend who will be doing NY-New Year so I thought I might stay the few extra nights in NY and have NYE there. Can anyone recommend a good (and reasonably cheap) hostel? I will have everyting confirmed/booked mid Feb.

• 3 Feb 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar

Hi guys

Well my plans have changed too….
    I just booked my airfares and i’m doing around the world. So before tour i’ll be heading to scandinavia, then heading over to the US to start tour.

This may also affect my plans for after the trip – I would like to stay for new years eve in new york (i have already booked my accomodation in new york), but while i was in the USA, i really wanted to go to miami or hawaii… because im in scandinavia before tour (right up until the 12 december) i wont get time to do this until after tour.

Either way i’m sure nye in hawaii or miami beach will be just a good… keep me informed of your plans maria and denise
    Kathryn

• 6 Feb 2008 Explorer1088918 said

Default_avatar

Hey guys.. im a 20 year old female from just near melbourne. Im really keen to go on this trip over xmas! i thought people would shy away from this trip cos NY will be damn cold..obviously not! if i can get the money together ill be on this trip with you guys. im keen to stay in LA a few days before and NY a few days after cos what ive read it doesnt sound like enough time to really explore. Anyway just thought id introduce myself.. sounds like this trip will be mostly girls lol
    Megan Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 6 Feb 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar

Hey Megan

Thanks for introducing yourself and hope to see you on tour… It looks like it will be such a great tour, i’m really looking forward to it.
    Kathryn

• 20 Feb 2008 Denise said

Default_avatar

Has anyone noticed that the dates have been removed for some of the tours this year?
    I was going to do this tour, but currently looking at other options ie combining LA to the Bay and NY New Year. I’m a bit worried about how cold its going to be over there though!

• 20 Feb 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar

Yeah i have noticed that. When you first click on North America tours, it is supposed to list all the tour name opeating in north america – the best of USA isn’t even listed as an available tour Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

• 21 Feb 2008 Explorer1090597 said

Default_avatar

Hi i’m goin on this tour with my boyfriend and very close friend, it is for our 21st we are soo excited. My birthday is on the 17th, we are all from the gold coast and this is our first tour. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 21 Feb 2008 Explorer1090597 said

Default_avatar

We are a bit worried bout the snow/cold in ny, any ideas on wat type of clothes we will need to take? like snow jackets i have been told it gets to just 2deg

• 24 Feb 2008 Brendon said

Brendon

Hi, my name is Brendon and I’m looking to do this tour also. I’m 23, will be travelling alone and I’m very much looking forward to a white xmas!

Thinking of either staying in NY for NYE after, or going on the eastern discovery starting in NY on the 26th (anyone know where NYE will be on this one?). Anyone got anything planned for after the tour yet?

• 25 Feb 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar

Hi Brendon

I think for the Eastern Discovery tour, you will be in St. Augustine in Floride for NYE.

I’m heading to Miami for NYE straight after tour. I couldnt go to the USA and come home without seeing Miami – and NYE was really the only time i could go there!!!! I’m sure NYE on at miami beach will be great!!!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what airlines contiki use with this tour?
    Kathryn x

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.