Community_discussions_small  

Question

What not to miss on my tour???

31 Jan 2013 Rachel asked

Rachel

Hey, I'm doing the European Discovery next January and am just wondering what people thought were the highlights and best things to do on the trip... (the optionals and things in your free time).
Do you find any really cool things to see that aren't really well known about or in the travel guides that you want to share?? I am hoping that I can find some really nice spots to eat local cuisine and experience the local culture!!
Also, if there is anything else that is a MUST DO, please share! I know there is gonna be some awesome stuff to do! :)
Cheers guys!

For those of you that went on a different tour, the discovery goes to: Amsterdam, Rhine Valley, Munich, Innsbruck, Venice, Rome, Florence, Lucerne and Paris... So if you have anything to share, please do!!

• 2 Mar 2013 juana1010 said

Default_avatar

You really don’t get a lot of time in each city so the most important thing to do is get out some guidebooks and do some research. I went on this tour when I was 19 and did not do any research before – I figured the tour would do all the work for me. Looking back, I think that was a big mistake. While we didn’t have a lot of free time, of the free time we did have, I think I could have used it more wisely if I had done my homework and figured out what one or two things I wanted to definitely see in each city and had a map to figure out how to get to them.

Florence is wonderful for food though. Make sure to stop by the Central Market. It has a ton of food for you to try and it is a very inexpensive place to get a meal. Right outside the market are little shops where you can buy all kinds of things, including nice leather handbags. My favorite gelato place is Carabe on Via Ricasoli by the Galleria dell’Accademia. So good – I went there probably twice a day. Also know that if you want to go to the Uffizi or the Galleria dell’Accademia (where David’s Michelangelo is housed) and Contiki does not take you there, then you must buy tickets online before you leave for a certain date and time. You typically cannot walk right into these museums.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion