Community_discussions_small  

Question

First time solo traveller! August 2013

4 Feb 2013 Amber91 asked

Amber91

It is my first time going overseas and im deciding to go by myself. I am thinking European Whirl as it seems to go to all the main places ive dreamed of going too. Is anyone else thinking of doing this one around the same time? I am hoping to meet some amazing people as i am so nervous about doing this by myself! Any other advice re anything inc. similar awesome tours would be awesome. Cheers!

• 4 Feb 2013 Amber91 said

Amber91

Oh okay, well i think the European Whirl goes for 18 days. Nothing is set in stone yet though, id like to know others that are reccommended and similar :)

• 4 Feb 2013 Franz said

Default_avatar

I don’t qualify due to age but 18 days around Europe is more than ample for a beginner.I suggest you send away for some of the New Brochures to get some more ideas.I don’t know if it’s still available at the Video Stores but before you go borrow a copy of National Lampoon European Vacation to give out some inspiration to go if it still exists.

• 4 Feb 2013 Amber91 said

Amber91

Well clearly hiring that out would diminish any inspiration? So when you say that, i really dont know what point you are trying to make. And 18 days…“more than ample”…how are you meant to see the things you want to in the one trip in less time than that, since you seem to be an expert? Im pretty sure your on the wrong website if your choosing to have this sort of input and have not seen the astonishing amount of first timers, solo’s and length of their tours they are choosing…and most of all – since you dont even qualify. Helpful advice would be greatly appreciated

• 4 Feb 2013 Lachie said

Lachie

Do the European Adventurer that leaves on June 28th!! I’m doing it by myself too. Goes to all the normal countries, plus a few extras like Croatia and Albania! Definitely the way to go!

• 4 Feb 2013 Bianca Munns said

Bianca Munns

im doing the whirl june the 16th! my first time in europe and im travelling solo also! im going to be in europe for a month and a half after my trip too. I chose the Whirl because it goes to the more expensive touristy places in europe and covers all the attractions with guides and everything organised for you. when im travelling after contiki i will probably head east of europe and do all the cheaper countries!

• 4 Feb 2013 Andrew Dalton said

Andrew Dalton

Muself and my friend Courtney are doing European panorama on the 5th of August . 28 days. But it’s going to fly

• 4 Feb 2013 Hayley01 said

Hayley01

im thinking of doing the European experience (July) solo, feeling the exact same way as you! It will be my first trip overseas and am really nervous!

• 4 Feb 2013 DJMELB22 said

DJMELB22

23 and travelling 5 months solo from june til october looking forward to the solo challenge

• 4 Feb 2013 Chooki888 said

Default_avatar

Hey amber I did a 10 day western euro tour in 2010 and it was sweet. Going again in aug but can’t decide what tour to do! You will have a blast and most people you meet on
    the tour are pretty cool. You def don’t have anything to worry about being a solo traveller, you will meet heaps of mates :) cheers

• 4 Feb 2013 Lauren said

Lauren

Hi Amber, I’m doing the European Escapade in September, also my first big overseas trip and also going solo! I’ve been told by so many people that i’ll be fine though and that there will be plenty of other solo travelers on the tour so i wouldn’t stress too much :)

• 5 Feb 2013 Amber91 said

Amber91

wow guys thank you for all the responses…did not think id get this many! Its good to know that so many people go by themselves…so i just hope i make some friends haha. Because this is my first major trip, i dont want to pick one that goes for too long / short… so i thought the 18 day mark sounded pretty good. im going to speak to the travel agent today for some more advice so hopefully ill be able to lock in an upcoming trip on here and be able to meet some people going on the same tour :)

• 5 Feb 2013 Hayley01 said

Hayley01

Do the European experience! Goes for 20 days I think :-) I’m thinking the 29th July!

• 6 Feb 2013 paris said

paris

Hey Amber :)

I’m travelling solo around europe for about 3 months – starting with european escapade on 30 May. Also looking to meet some solo travellers too!!

• 8 Feb 2013 Karen said

Karen

Do the whirl on the 31st July, I’m going solo too and I’ve never done anything like this before!
    So keen to meet new people but a little scared but I’m sure after a few drinks everyone will come out of their shell and have an awesome time :):)

• 17 Feb 2013 KaseyEff said

KaseyEff

Hi Amber,
    I’m thinking of doing the European Explorer + Greek Islands on the 28th July by myself. I’ve never travelled solo before and am really nervous, but many people have assured me it will be awesome!

• 18 Feb 2013 Lauren said

Lauren

hey im also going to europe in august by myself, i have chosen the contrasts leaving the 16th. Pretty keen to meet a new people too :)

• 18 Feb 2013 Tessa said

Tessa

i’m doing the European Whirl in April (55 days), it looks incredible! I’m going by myself too – it will be great to meet new people :)

• 18 Feb 2013 Dan said

Dan

im going to be going this summer by myself as well. I am choosing between the easy rider and the European Horizon!

• 18 Feb 2013 Justin K said

Justin K

Hey mate – I’m going solo as well! First time OS for me ever so I’m pretty pumped! I’m going on the European Explorer plus Mykonos leaving London on 23 June though. I picked this one because of it’s value for money – 33 days around pretty much all of Europe for under 8k is not at all bad in my book. Plus one of the highlights being an option to go to Paradise Club on Mykonos is meant to be one AWESOME couple of days (SEE: http://www.paradiseclubmykonos.com/ ). Also it’ll be the height of summer then and I definitely wanted my first time in Europe to be a warm one – coming from Sydney AUS I’ll be leaving in the middle of winter so huge tick for me!

I always wanted to hit up London though, so I’m flying in on the 21st of June to see some sights on my own…oh and get loose at the Ministry of Sound!

Anyway, it’s good to see the bravery “to go it on your own” that Contiki inspires is thriving – good luck and safe travels.

Peace,
    Jk.

• 19 Feb 2013 NYGiantsFan said

Default_avatar

Amber if you don’t care staying in hostels and sharing a room with strangers and not staying longer than 2 nights in any city then European Whirl is for you.

However, if that’s not your thing then I suggest “superior” trip as they stay 2-3 nights in each city and at least 3 star hotels plus you have an option of paying a bit more but staying in your own room.

The trip that I want to do but haven’t picked a date is Berlin to Budapest and maybe do a few extra days on my own

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion