Community_discussions_small  

Question

Anyone doing the Italian Espresso Aug 2, 2013?

5 Feb 2013 bec_traveliss asked

bec_traveliss

Hi everyone :)
I'm considering the Aug 2-10th, 2013 Italian Espresso for my first Contiki Tour, and I'll be going solo, so I'm a little nervous....Anyone else going on this tour?? I already have my heart set on this trip and can see myself there! I didn't want to pick a too long/too short of a tour for my first time, but I plan on extending it a couple days at the beginning and end to see some extra things, so I hope it works out.

• 22 Mar 2013 henry said

henry

I’ll be on this tour on the same dates! This will also be my first Contiki tour as well and will be flying into Rome on Aug 2nd to spend 1 night before starting our tour on the 3rd!

• 11 Apr 2013 Riley Gray said

Riley Gray

I am doing the exact same tour solo too! And I will also be staying at the hotel a day early by myself! I’m so excited, I’ve never travelled alone! But I will be back packing for 5 weeks before hand so I might be pretty haggard by the time I arrive in Rome!

• 11 Apr 2013 Riley Gray said

Riley Gray

How much spending money do you guys expect to bring?

• 28 Apr 2013 kdelgado100 said

kdelgado100

I just booked this tour today! I am also going solo.

• 28 Apr 2013 kdelgado100 said

kdelgado100

I booked a twin share room so it would be nice to know who I am staying with. :)

• 28 Apr 2013 henry said

henry

Riley, I’m planning about 100-150 a day, some days less I’m sure. I’m also going to be traveling through Spain, France, and Greece before Italy so I hope my money lasts until then!

• 28 Apr 2013 Riley Gray said

Riley Gray

Yea same, Italy is my last country so I’m going to be down to the bottom of my money! But I’m going to trying to budget well. The optional excursions are actually pretty good prices so I might end up signing up with some, I heard its nicer to do some tours on your own!

• 30 Apr 2013 henry said

henry

Same! Are you planning converting your currency before you head to Europe and carry all cash? I read so many different opinions. Many would use the travelex cards but they no longer offer them.

Also are you guys bringing a backpack or a suitcase?

• 30 Apr 2013 Riley Gray said

Riley Gray

I am bringing a backpack with me. And since I am travelling 6 weeks before hand I am bringing my visa and 2 visa debit cards and am going to take out cash when I arrive in each country but I hope there are ATMs in the hotels or close by! I don’t want to carry too much cash on me and I might spend like $800 in Italy and that’s a lot of cash!

Riley Gray

What about you? And did you book an extra day at the hotel through contiki? I still have to do that!

• 30 Apr 2013 kdelgado100 said

kdelgado100

Well, I am going to be in Paris for four weeks before the tour, so I am most likely bringing a suitcase although many say its better to travel light. Riley, I also booked an extra day for the tour but at another hotel because it was much cheaper.

kdelgado100

Henry, I don’t think I will be carrying all cash. Actually, the student travel association has an international debit card that I am thinking about getting. I need to look closer at the details.

Riley Gray

Yea I thought it was really expensive for just one night! It’s like $100! Did you book a hotel near by? I just get really nervous being alone in another country and having to find my way around :P

kdelgado100

Yea actually for me it was coming out to like 125. So I booked it at another place for 75. The place is called Via a Poliziano. I know what you mean about being alone in another country. Are you booking it for another day after?

kdelgado100

Did you guys book the tour as twin share or single?

• 30 Apr 2013 henry said

henry

I’m actually staying at Hotel Alpi closer to the city center so I can easily walk around the city and kill time. We meet the next day at 4pm which will give me enough time to hop on a train or bus to meet at the starting hotel. I heard some of the hotels we’re staying at are pretty far from the city center :/.

As for $$ I was thinking about putting all the big purchases on my Visa credit card and carry a good amount of cash on me and also have my debit. I’m just afraid of the fees when withdrawing from the ATM.

@Kdelgaldo100 I too will be in Paris right before flying into Rome, but not with a tour.

• 30 Apr 2013 henry said

henry

I booked a twin room

kdelgado100

Hey Henry, you can actually call me Kimberly. I also booked a twin room but I am a little hesitant because I am not sure if they put you in with females or males. Also, I will be in Paris before but then I am going to Barcelona for a few days before the Italian Espresso tour. Too much to do. All my money will be gone. lol

I also need to think about the money situation. I think your strategy is good. For me, its not good to carry too much cash since I will spend it all right away.

• 30 Apr 2013 henry said

henry

Nice to meet you Kimberly. I’m pretty sure they’ll put you in a room with another female. Yea I’m pretty nervous about not having enough money. I’m traveling for 40 days and I’m trying my best to save at least 100 per day. Lol but ya I know what you mean about spending too much. I feel like I’m going to cash out in the beginning of my trip because I’m going to want EVERYTHING.

Riley Gray

I’m so nervous about money too! I feel like I’m over exaggerating on saving money but I’d rather have too much thank too little. I booked a twin share room, I am pretty sure they put you with another person of the same sex. I just hope they look at the age too, I would like to share with someone around the same age and who likes to party hard! I don’t want to disturb my roommate coming in too late or being loud lol

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion