Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Optional excursions for Wild Western

29 May 2007 Laura_00 said

Default_avatar
Hi! I'm booked in the Wild Western from June 27. Was just wondering if anybody could share some insight on the optional excursions that are on offer...Any feedback either positive or negative would be great Smiler

Thanks,

Laura.
  • 5 Jun 2007 parraeels83 said

Default_avatar

hi if u want to know the optional excursions just click on the tour u r going on and click on optional excersions ive added them for u below

Optional Excursions
    Your choice in Sedona
    Red Rock Jeep Ride (US$45.00)
    Four wheel drive jeeps driven by professional guides take you around the back country of Sedona, a town noted for its incredible red rock formations set amidst pine forests. Enjoy Old West Hospitality as you journey through these historic canyons.

Your choice in Phoenix
    Hot Air Balloon Ride (US$160.00)
    Experience an unforgettable flight over the beautiful landscape of the Sonoran desert. Ballooning is an exhilarating experience for everyone – from the neophyte adventurer to the seasoned veteran, from the young to the more mature. The flight concludes wi

Your choice in San Francisco
    Sunset Sailing Adventure (US$40.00)
    Sail out on San Francisco’s world-famous Bay on the Adventure Cat. Your tour will take you near Alcatraz Island, under the Golden Gate Bridge, and out to Kirby Cove. Enjoy the sunset, the included drinks and appetizers while you cruise around the Bay!

Chinatown Dinner (US$19.00)
    Explore Chinatown and enjoy an all you can eat meal at one of San Francisco’s best restaurants in the heart of San Francisco’s historic Chinatown.

San Francisco Note ()
    Alcatraz is not included in this tour. However you may book tickets in advance by going to www.blueandgoldfleet.com. We highly recommend you do as soon as possible as space is limited and sells quickly. We suggest booking the earliest cruise with audio (9

Your choice in Grand Canyon
    IMAX Movie (US$10.00)
    This movie shows the history of the Grand Canyon on a 23m (70 ft) screen. This movie is filmed so realistically that you’ll think you’e part of the action.

Helicopter Flights ($135 – 25min, $194 – 45min, $420 – all day)
    See the grandeur and beauty of the Grand Canyon from up above on an unforgettable helicopter flight. 25 minute flights, 45 minute flights and all-day excursions are available. The heli-hiking adventure takes you to the Havasupai Indian Reservation, locate

Your choice in Las Vegas
    Las Vegas Cabaret (US$55.00)
    The cabaret show incorporates some of the best talent Las Vegas has to offer. The professional dance team is joined by a number of variety acts including professional dancers, a comedian, a magician and daredevil motorcycle riders.

Your choice in Contiki Souvenirs
    Contiki Shirts (From US$15.00)
    Shirts may be purchased from the Contiki Hotel Representatives in Anaheim or from your Tour Manager whilst on tour.

USA Group Photo (US$16.00)
    There’s no better way to remember the excellent times you’ve had and the new friendships that you’ve made than with an 8”x10” glossy photo of all the members of your tour.

Your choice in San Diego
    Harbour Cruise (US$14.00)
    Cruise around the beautiful San Diego Bay. View the city skyline while a guide provides a fascinating commentary on the points of interest in this beautiful natural bay!

San Diego Zoo (US$29.00)
    Visit the world’s largest zoo, complete with tram tour!

Sea World (US$46.00)
    Enjoy a day at SeaWorld’s original park. SeaWorld is an unbelievably fun place to see aquatic exhibits and a variety of shows including starts such as Shamu, the Killer Whale!

• 7 Jun 2007 Ding said

Default_avatar

Hi Laura,
    Definately do the 45min helicopter over the GC it’s amazing, Sea World is pretty cool and what ever else you feel like doing, everything is pretty good and you’ll find most of your fellow travellers go in for it all as well so don’t think Contiki are trying to push it on you, that is off course unless your budget is limited. Enjoy your trip..
    Daniel.

• 7 Jun 2007 Kas - formerly "Kas" said

Default_avatar

Hey I did the WW last year and loved every minute of it and am sure you will too!!

I did most of the excursions as you will find others will too and if your mates are then you will want to, plus you end up with no regrets that way!

I never did the balloon ride as heights freak me out but those that did said is was stunning and the early start and $$ was worth it. I also never did the jeep ride but my brother did and he said it was great also and a lot of fun.

For me personally the imax left a little to be desired and can be missed but some found it enlightening and insightful!

The sunset cruise was a laugh and the pics you get from it cannot be beaten!! Also when in San Fran def get a few of your fellow travellers to go with you to Alcatraz, you cannot miss that. Also the buffet is a great way to hang out with the guys and chat and the food is good, and you will prob head on out direct from it afterwards! Oh and with the cruise it gets windy and bumpy and u may get wet if u go out on deck so be warned.

With the flight about 90% of us chose the 45min flight but given there had been storms and the weather was not the greatest we all were made to do the 30min one but it was still good and so I think 45min is all u need.

With the Cabaret it was fun u get to sample all different aspects of Vegas shows but if you really want to see another major show then you should maybe do that. This year I am on Grand Northern and will in Vegas go see Cirque!

In San Diego everyone did the cruise and imagine will be the same with you as it is a great icebreaker. I chose the zoo over Sea World and absolutely loved it if was a little sore afterwards as there is some walking involved. With that it is a personal choice as to what you will prefer.

I think I covered everything, any Qs do feel free to ask!

Kas

• 26 Nov 2007 guitrchik3 said

Default_avatar

I must say, I did just about all of them and loved them.

In San Diego the harbor cruise was okay. It was a beautiful day and it was a good way to meet the rest of my tourmates. If I had it to do all over again I may have skipped it to explore the city but it was the first day and I was still a little shy so I didn’t want to take off alone just yet.

I chose the San Diego zoo and it was pretty interesting. About half of the people on my tour chose the zoo and the other half chose Sea World. That seems to be the great debate. I was sort of let down by the zoo because I expected it to be so amazing. It could’ve been the sleep deprivation due to the fact that my roommate on that tour (who I had met only hours before) was having loud sex for hours the night before. But that’s a different story.

In Phoenix the hot air balloon was AMAZING!!!!! There are a few downsides to it though. They fail to mention that you need to be up at about 4 am. They also fail to mention that hot air balloon landings are an adventure. Honestly though, it’s probably one of the most amazing things I’ve ever done. One basket can fit up to 16 people but ours had only 6 so it was nice and comfy. You also get a cute little breakfast and hang out with the pilot afterwards. For anyone going on the balloon, heed this WARNING: please please before you leave the hotel, go to the BATHROOM! Go as much as possible! The moment I stepped onto the balloon and we were about 10 feet off the ground is when I realized that I had to pee desperately. You spend quite a bit of time in the air. Anywhere from 30-60 mins. I only thought about my bladder and it was horrible. We got up to an altitude of 10,000 feet and the views were unreal. Do bring a light jacket or something though because it’s freezing up there. And don’t forget to pee!

Grand Canyon
    Imax…ehh. I usually love educational stuff like that but it was kind of lame. I expected it to be the scientific facts but instead it was the tale of one explorer that no one has ever heard of. To amuse yourself, try to find the scenes where the “one armed explorer” has his arm beneath his shirt and his hand in his pocket. It was a nice cool theater with popcorn and snacks and the ticket was only $8 so I say just go!

The helicopter ride was also FANTASTIC! I chose the 25 minute ride because I was low on funds. About half of that time is spent flying over trees so most people chose the next flight up because they would have more time over the Canyon. For me, 25 minutes was perfect. I’m not usually too sensitive about flying but I definitely thought I was going to be sick a few times. If you are air sick, take something before you go. It’s such an amazing experience. A few people on my tour went on the all day Heli-hike and had nothing but great things to say. Judging by their pictures and stories, I think that is a great option and I wish I had done it!

Las Vegas
    I chose to opt out of the Cabaret because I wanted to see the American Storm show. There are so many shows to choose from in Vegas, I highly suggest researching before you committ to the cabaret.
    If you have a “surprise” as an option in Vegas DOOOOOO ITTTTTT! It will be so worth it! My tour manager made everyone sign up and gave us a personal guarantee that if we didn’t like it, he’d give us the $7 out of his pocket. No one asked for a refund!

I was on the western highlights (which is combined with wild wester and la to the bay) so I didn’t go to San Fran. Hope my little reviews helped!

• 17 Dec 2007 Blue79 said

Default_avatar

Hi
    I was on the WW in may this year, and did most of the optionals. My opinions…

Red Rock Jeep Ride
    This was really fun (and there wasn’t really that much else to do in Sedona for a couple of hours). Hey, one of the jeeps had a break problem (they had to go and get another one), and even that didn’t stop our fun – they were just a little bit late.

Hot Air Balloon Ride
    Very early start to get to this one, but worth it for the views. Included breakfast was poor – but there was champagne. I second the recommendation to visit the bathroom before leaving the hotel! (We had to get the bus to stop after collecting us, because we all needed a bathroom break.)

Sunset Sailing Adventure
    This wasn’t the best, but that was mainly due to the weather (very windy/choppy). We couldn’t get out of the bay because of the waves and the boat was pitching badly at times – note that this is a real sail-boat and it’s fairly small. Would have been better if the weather was nicer.

Chinatown Dinner
    Food was OK (not sure I’d really call it “authentic” though). Definitely a must-do to say goodbye to everyone who’s leaving in SF – although they technically weren’t supposed to come, our TM organised for them to choose it as well. Note that the “included transport” to this dinner is WALKING (and it takes 30-45 mins). Get the address from your TM, grab a couple of other people and split a cab, then get comfortable in the bar waiting for the idiots who decided to walk.

Alcatraz
    DO IT. And book early! It was really interesting, however it does take a good chunk of time to do properly (3 hours approx). Go 1st thing, have lunch at Fisherman’s wharf or at one of the stalls further along the waterfront and get out to see the rest of the city. San Francisco was really easy to navigate on public transport.

IMAX Movie
    Didn’t do this one. No-one really raved about it. We took the opportunity to stock up at the general store across the road instead.

Helicopter Flights
    Wanted to do the all-day trip, but in the end it was so windy they could guarantee to pick us up in the arvo, so did the 45 min trip instead which was amazing. Definitely do one of these. (By the way, the one guy who did the whole day trip did get back in the end, although they’d already grounded the helicopters when they took off to get him!) If I had the choice again I’d probably do the all-day – there’s accomodation at the bottom, and flights to Las Vegas are only $50 or something from GC airport!

Las Vegas Cabaret
    Didn’t do the Contiki one, organised tickets to another from TKTS for about 1/2 the price. Show we saw was great, only comments on the Contiki one were from the people who had just finished Europe and compared it unfavourably to the Moulin Rouge.

Las Vegas Surprise Optional
    DO IT!!!!

Contiki Shirts
    Not even offered to us – maybe you had to ask?

USA Group Photo
    Got one to remember everything. I think it was worth it, but this would be a personal thing.

San Diego Harbour Cruise
    Everyone did this – mainly because our TM didn’t specify it was optional. Cruise was good value, but a lot of people were upset about not being told.

San Diego Zoo or Sea World
    I went to the zoo which was nice but not brilliant. The people who went to Sea World apparently froze (sea breeze). Note if you don’t leave the hotel with the group in the morning, you can’t get to the beach, however you can just be dropped at Balboa Park and wander around if you want.

Hope this helped
    Christine

• 6 Jan 2008 tamara_perth said

tamara_perth

Wow guys this is great. It’s very informative. I am doing the Wild Western tour in June 08. Thanks so much for taking the time to write all of this down. I am even more excited now (which i didn’t think was possible).

Cheers, Tam

• 3 Apr 2008 beckyboo said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Alcatraz

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone remembers the name of the place you stayed at while in Vegas. My friend from Orange County wants to meet up with us here and he wants to stay in the same hotel.

Thanks,

Bec Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 3 Apr 2008 Crawf33 said

Crawf33
  • 13 Apr 2008 Just Smile said

Just Smile

In regards to San Diego, I would go to SeaWorld over the San Diego Zoo. I’ve been to both dozens of times, but SeaWorld still seems to amaze me Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 1 Jun 2009 IbizaSunset27 said

Default_avatar

Hey there,
    I noticed you’re from Mass, which is a relief to see. I’m from NYC and I’m planning to do the western highlights trip but I was told that most people on the US trips are foreigners! I’ve been to europe a lot so I wanted to do some domestic travel now..
    your roomie having loud sex in your room was hilarious to read about! haven’t had that happen to me on a trip yet but then I only did !..

Rob

quote:
    Originally posted by guitrchik3:
    I must say, I did just about all of them and loved them.

In San Diego the harbor cruise was okay. It was a beautiful day and it was a good way to meet the rest of my tourmates. If I had it to do all over again I may have skipped it to explore the city but it was the first day and I was still a little shy so I didn’t want to take off alone just yet.

I chose the San Diego zoo and it was pretty interesting. About half of the people on my tour chose the zoo and the other half chose Sea World. That seems to be the great debate. I was sort of let down by the zoo because I expected it to be so amazing. It could’ve been the sleep deprivation due to the fact that my roommate on that tour (who I had met only hours before) was having loud sex for hours the night before. But that’s a different story.

In Phoenix the hot air balloon was AMAZING!!!!! There are a few downsides to it though. They fail to mention that you need to be up at about 4 am. They also fail to mention that hot air balloon landings are an adventure. Honestly though, it’s probably one of the most amazing things I’ve ever done. One basket can fit up to 16 people but ours had only 6 so it was nice and comfy. You also get a cute little breakfast and hang out with the pilot afterwards. For anyone going on the balloon, heed this WARNING: please please before you leave the hotel, go to the BATHROOM! Go as much as possible! The moment I stepped onto the balloon and we were about 10 feet off the ground is when I realized that I had to pee desperately. You spend quite a bit of time in the air. Anywhere from 30-60 mins. I only thought about my bladder and it was horrible. We got up to an altitude of 10,000 feet and the views were unreal. Do bring a light jacket or something though because it’s freezing up there. And don’t forget to pee!

Grand Canyon
    Imax…ehh. I usually love educational stuff like that but it was kind of lame. I expected it to be the scientific facts but instead it was the tale of one explorer that no one has ever heard of. To amuse yourself, try to find the scenes where the “one armed explorer” has his arm beneath his shirt and his hand in his pocket. It was a nice cool theater with popcorn and snacks and the ticket was only $8 so I say just go!

The helicopter ride was also FANTASTIC! I chose the 25 minute ride because I was low on funds. About half of that time is spent flying over trees so most people chose the next flight up because they would have more time over the Canyon. For me, 25 minutes was perfect. I’m not usually too sensitive about flying but I definitely thought I was going to be sick a few times. If you are air sick, take something before you go. It’s such an amazing experience. A few people on my tour went on the all day Heli-hike and had nothing but great things to say. Judging by their pictures and stories, I think that is a great option and I wish I had done it!

Las Vegas
    I chose to opt out of the Cabaret because I wanted to see the American Storm show. There are so many shows to choose from in Vegas, I highly suggest researching before you committ to the cabaret.
    If you have a “surprise” as an option in Vegas DOOOOOO ITTTTTT! It will be so worth it! My tour manager made everyone sign up and gave us a personal guarantee that if we didn’t like it, he’d give us the $7 out of his pocket. No one asked for a refund!

I was on the western highlights (which is combined with wild wester and la to the bay) so I didn’t go to San Fran. Hope my little reviews helped!

• 2 Jun 2009 JimBrayFan said

Default_avatar

I did the walk to the Chinatown dinner and it was great.

• 7 Jun 2009 Kweenz said

Kweenz

I hope I’ll be able to do the all day helicopter tour Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> but I’ll be going there in January so I’m not sure I’ll be able to Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->
    Does anyone have any info about that??

• 7 Jun 2009 gig08 said

gig08

I went on the Grand Southern in January/Feb 2008 and they had the all day heli-hiking tour at the Grand Canyon available to us. I was back this winter and they didn’t offer it due to the flooding that happened last summer…. I’ve heard that the reserve has since re-opened to the public, so I would assume the heli-hiking tours are also available again…

• 16 Jun 2009 Kweenz said

Kweenz
    quote:
    Originally posted by gig08:
    I went on the Grand Southern in January/Feb 2008 and they had the all day heli-hiking tour at the Grand Canyon available to us. I was back this winter and they didn’t offer it due to the flooding that happened last summer…. I’ve heard that the reserve has since re-opened to the public, so I would assume the heli-hiking tours are also available again…

That’s great! What was the weather like at the GC and Las Vegas?? Do you also know how much the all day helicopter ride is?
    Thanks!
    Elly

• 16 Jun 2009 gig08 said

gig08

Las Vegas was quite nice both times I’ve been there in Jan/Feb (the past two years). I wouldn’t say it was hot, but it was warm enough not to wear a jacket. I think it rained one day, but was still sunny and warm the others.

The Grand Canyon was definitely colder- and there was snow there both times as well. I know a few years ago it was the coldest stop on our trip as it went to about –20C one night. Just bring clothes that you can layer and you’ll be all good Smiler<!-graemlin::)—> Also, make sure you bring a hat and mittens as they may be hard to pick up along the way (the walmart we stopped at were sold out of mitts!)

• 17 Jun 2009 Kweenz said

Kweenz

LOL I guess it does get pretty cold! LOL to be honest I thought it went down to 0 or 5 degrees and most people were saying that was really cold (I guess if I were coming from a warm climate, I’d think that was freezing too Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->) but wow –20 in ArizonA… I guess it’s because it’s at more of an elevation then pheonix or tucsan. Anywho, thanks! Smiler<!-graemlin::)—>

• 13 Aug 2009 only1mel said

Default_avatar

Hi all,

Is there anyone out there that is doing the “Wild Western” on the 30/08/09? ? Im travelling solo, so i was hoping to meet up with someone before hand…..
    Hope to be hearing something

Melanie

• 13 Aug 2009 skaifie said

skaifie

When i went in Dec07 jan 08 i chose the following: –

Sedona – Red Rock Jeep Ride FANTASTIC !!! would tell anyone your mad NOT to take up this option a load of fun and just a hoot !!!! I have the most amazing pics and a pic of madonnas house as well Wink<!-graemlin:;)—>

Phoenix – Hot Air Balloon Ride – It was my birthday and this was my treat to myself – peacful and just amazing have never done it before and it was just memorable. Beautiful sunrise even though it was freezing we had a great champagne breakfast after wards

San Francisco – i bought tickets online months in advance for the afternoon alcatraz tour a must !!!

Grand Canyon – IMAX Movie if you dont do it there is nothing else to do except sit in the local store……

Helicopter Flights – our whole tour booked these but we were snowed in for 2 days and unfortunately were not able to take advantage of it but had a great time anyway

Las Vegas – we went into the strip and bought tickets for a show at half price for that night. Friends who did the caberat option said the show was very average

Contiki Souvenirs USA Group Photo – moemories ours was taken at sedona

San Diego Sea World – you can hand feeb bat rays, dolphins and the shamu show is just something you must see it is amazing

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.