Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern 15th August 2013 LA -> NYC

12 Feb 2013 Brad242 asked

Brad242

Hi everyone, just wondering if anybody is doing this tour or thinking about it? I'm from Australia and traveling solo.

I'll be heading to LA about a week in advance and do a few things in California before the tour kicks off then after the tour making my way around the world.

Hopefully hear from some of you soon!

Brad (AUS)

• 17 Feb 2013 Shauna_22 said

Shauna_22

Hey Brad, my name is Shauna. My friend and I will be doing the Southern Adventure leaving LA on the 15th of Aug. I think our tour begins the same except ours stops in New Orleans.

• 19 Feb 2013 SophieI said

SophieI

Hey Brad,

I’ll be on the Eastern Discovery Tour which will join your tour in New Orleans and continue on to New York :)

Soph (Aus)

• 19 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

Hey Brad!! I’m Lisa, Nice to meet ya. I am going on the grand Southern on the same dates as you and I am also planning on some extra time in LA before we head off. I have planned on being in LA 3 nights prior and am hoping to to Disney Land and a Hollywood homes and sights type tour. What were your plans? :)

• 19 Feb 2013 Brad242 said

Brad242

Hi everyone,
    @Lisa, glad to hear someone else is doing the full tour aswell! Will be good to meet you too Shauna and Sophie!
    Yeah im planning on maybe a week or so early in LA, i’d like to get up to San Fransisco to see Alcatraz island. Thats pretty well my only plans at the moment, i’ve been to LA before and have had a chance to see most of it, i can recommend the city sights tour-i’d probably do that again! Sophie and Lisa, are you planning on traveling more once we get to NYC or finishing up?

• 19 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

Well I am staying untill the 11th. I fly out in the arvo.. and would love to go to ground 0 on the 11th.. given it will be 9/11 so If anyone else is keen to come with me that would be SUPER. But I am definitly keen for the city sights tour.. my travel agent has one reccomended for me.. go and look at the movie stars homes etc.. guessing more people will be online as we get closer to travel :)

• 19 Feb 2013 Brad242 said

Brad242

It didn’t even click to me that it’ll be 9/11, yeah i would be keen to hang around NYC until then!

• 19 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

Didn’t click to me either till the travel agent asked if I was ok with flying on that day and was like wow… yea thats fine!!

• 19 Feb 2013 SophieI said

SophieI

I’ll be travelling with my boyfriend and we want to stay in NY for at least another week after the tour. From there I don’t know where we will go but I’m sure we will figure something out!

• 20 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

Sweet Sophie..

• 22 Feb 2013 Emma said

Default_avatar

Hi all, Im doing the Grand Southern on the 15th Aug also. Nice to meet a few of you. Im pretty damn excited. I should be in LA a couple of nights prior to the tour to adjust and get over jetlag! Im from Aus also, looks like there’ll be quite a few of us =). Do you guys know what hotel in LA you’ll be staying at? Havent yet booked this because the one I wanted is now booked out =(. Anyways, im sure I’ll have heaps of questions as time gets closer, not really sure what ill do with my phone situation, might see if past USA contiki goers have any tips.

Hopefully gets a response soon =)
    Emma

• 22 Feb 2013 Brad242 said

Brad242

Hi Emma, glad to hear from you and that you’ll be joining us on the Grand Southern!
    Where abouts in Aus are you from?
    I haven’t thought about accommodation in LA yet, ill figure that out later i guess. Yeah it’ll be good if an ex traveler could give us a few pointers on what to expect!

• 22 Feb 2013 Brad242 said

Brad242

Hi Emma, glad to hear from you and that you’ll be joining us on the Grand Southern!
    Where abouts in Aus are you from?
    I haven’t thought about accommodation in LA yet, ill figure that out later i guess. Yeah it’ll be good if an ex traveler could give us a few pointers on what to expect!

• 22 Feb 2013 Emma said

Default_avatar

Hi Brad,
    Im from Perth =) Where abouts are you from? And everyone else who is going on this contiki (if your reading this)? I think ill sort out accomodation later on too, im sure there’s plenty of options. Ive made a post to see if any ex traveler have any tips, hopefully it gets responses. =)

• 22 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

Hey Emma! Really great too have another traveller online :) To both of you.. I have been given a hotel from my travel agent calledKawada Hotel. It’s really cheap but plenty nice and in a good part of LA which I have been told is vital haha. I will have one spare bed availabe in my room so if anyone is keen to share please let me know. I havent booked it as yet but if someone is keen I will get on that ASAP. The only thing is we were not sure how far away it was from the pick up point for the tour. Do you have any plans prior to the tour in LA Emma?? As I mentioned earlier I am keen as a bean for Disneyland and a Hollywood tour. So excited :)

In regards to phone,, I went and asked my telstra retailer and he said as I was on a plan just to get a sim card and pop that in while I am over there. And there is an app called Viber which allows you to mkae free phone calls and texts.. and of corse Facebook :)

Talk soon

• 23 Feb 2013 Emma said

Default_avatar

Hey Lisa, Havent heard of the Kawada Hotel. My travel agent has said that the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel AKA Kyoto Grand Hotel which is where to contiki departs from is booked out which is wierd! But ill look into the Kawada Hotel also. It would just be nice to be at the same hotel that we leave from, would make life alot easier! Probably down the track ill look further into hotels as maybe the Doubletree may get openings. AND the hotel that were likely to be ending in NY is like $250 per night apparently but its in the upper east side of town. Contiki wont confirm hotels til like a couple of weeks prior to the tour which makes it a bit difficult.

It would be awesome to do touristy with you guys but after this contiki, ill be doing the grand northern and then doing Disneyland/hollywood etc after that =)

I might have to do the same with with my phone provider. Ive been reading other posts about America and it looks like the sim card option will be easiest. But others have mentioned that a phone card is also okay to use.

=)

• 23 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

I agree… would make like ALOT easier so if you find something in a decent price range definitly let us know :)I have foind a place in NY also.. very close to drop off and is $170 a night. called the Pod Hotel! it is a single room with a shared bathroom. your so licky to be doing the grand northern… i am very keen to explor NY with you tho at the end if your needing a buddy.. im sure we will meet many people keen to travwl around NY on tour :)

• 23 Feb 2013 Brad242 said

Brad242

Have a look at a website called airbnb.com, pretty cheap accomodation ranging from a room in someone’s house to an apartment somewhere. A few friends of mine have used it and loved it! Yeah im keen to explore NY aswell, especially now that it’s been pointed out that we’ll be there around 9/11.

About the phones, ill be doing the same, just buy a ‘chuck away’ sim card to use while im there, pretty sure most places we go will have access to wifi anyway so theres always skype etc.

Looking forward to meeting you all! Can’t wait to get to LA and get it started!

• 24 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

Well In regards to Hotels.. I have been looking into where abouts the hotels I have been suggested are in regards to pick up and drop offs. The hotel in LA is 7 mins walk to the meeting point. and The Pod Hotel IN new york is 10 Mins to the drop off point. havent booked anything yet tho as I am keen to see what everyone can find. Have you guys checked into the meet ups forum yet? once you get your booking code you can do that as well and meet other people going on tour with us :) Also, I was thinking of making a Group on Facebook for our tour but it wont allow me to do so untill I have other “friends” on facebook to add too it.. so that’s another idea for you guys :) p.s Yes I am also rediculiously crazy excited for this trip haha.

• 24 Feb 2013 Emma said

Default_avatar

Im keen for a hotel close to the pick up/drop off. Im just wondering, have you guys been told by your travel agents that the Doubletree by Hilton AKA Kyoto Grand Hotel is booked out?? Ive looked at the hotels you’ve been mentioning Lisa and they look pretty good.
    I havent done the meet up forum yet, but i will get onto it. Would be good to see who else is going =)
    The facebook idea sounds good, but i honestly would have no idea about making groups haha
    But if you want, maybe if we get eachothers email addresses because im keen to stay in a hotel twin share with ya Lisa? =) This week ill probs go to my travel agent and get some more reasonably priced hotel ideas and let you guys know what i discover =)

SO excited!!

• 24 Feb 2013 Kelly said

Kelly

Hi all
    I’m Kelly from Perth :) I’ll be on the grand southern on the 15th Aug as well. I’ve been planning this trip for so long & finally went & booked it all last week… Super excited! I’m gonna be in LA from the 10th to explore before the tour starts. :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.