Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern 15th August 2013 LA -> NYC

12 Feb 2013 Brad242 asked

Brad242

Hi everyone, just wondering if anybody is doing this tour or thinking about it? I'm from Australia and traveling solo.

I'll be heading to LA about a week in advance and do a few things in California before the tour kicks off then after the tour making my way around the world.

Hopefully hear from some of you soon!

Brad (AUS)

• 24 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

Hey Kelly :) Nice to meet you :) I thinkit’s safe to say we are all a bit excited haha.. What are y0our plans before the tour starts? and emma… that is SUPER :) I havent asked my travel agent about Kyoto she just gave me a quote on the other places but it will only be $50 each per night and I plan on booking it for 3 nights. definitly.. everyone send me ya email addresses and ill get onto making a face book group for us :) WOOHOO

• 25 Feb 2013 Emma said

Default_avatar

Hey Kelly,
    Yay another Perth girl. Its cool that we’re all there a bit before the tour starts. Are you traveling solo? How you doing with the hotel side of things?

=) only like 5 and a half months to go haha

• 25 Feb 2013 Kelly said

Kelly

Nothing set yet, but I want to stalk the stars homes haha & the walk of fame etc. the standard touristy stuff :)
    Yep I’ll be on my own, little bit nervous haha. I’m staying at the doubletree where the tour starts from.. Have you decided where your staying yet?

• 25 Feb 2013 Emma said

Default_avatar

I didnt see your post before Lisa. My email is emma_clothier@hotmail.com so send me an email and we can chat about hotels =)
    Thats so lucky your staying the the doubletree Kelly, thats where i wanted to stay but when i booked, my travel agent said it was booked out. Further up on this conversation we’ve talked about a few hotels but im still looking and seeing where’s best because i want to be close to doubletree!
    How long at your staying in NY for afterwards Kelly? Ill be there for 4 nights afterwards so im keen to do the touristy stuff for NY but still looking into that stuff, there’s just so much to do haha

=)

• 25 Feb 2013 Kelly said

Kelly

That sucks. Hopefully you can get somewhere pretty close! I fly out to London on the 12th, so I only have a couple of days in NY to do the touristy stuff. I didn’t realise we’d get there for 9/11 that will be pretty awesome. :)

• 25 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

I know. When my travel agent asked if I was ok with flying out that day was like oh my haha. I want to to that Stars homes tour as well.. and Disneyland of corse. was thinking of doing the Stars and homes tour thing the day before the tour starts as that way we can still meet up with everyone that night for a few drinks :) and was thinking I would do Disneyland on the 13th of August. Anyone else keen??

• 25 Feb 2013 Steffi said

Steffi

Hey all, I’m doing the grand southern with you guys this will be my third USA Contiki I did 2 in 2011. I’m super keen too!!!I land in LA on the 11th then will be staying in Hollywood until the night before Contiki then ill move to the Koyoto. Then after the tour I’m going to stay in NY till the 15th.. Then have another month travelling around the states. Would be awesome to make friends to hung out with in NY!
    I stayed at the Kyoto/double tree for 3 nights last time I was in LA and it was a great hotel in a terrible location! There was nothing to do in walking distance and Hollywood and Disney were really far away.. But that was just my experience. It great to be there the night before the tour for convince so your close to the group and the bus.. Would hate to miss the bus on the first day :/

• 25 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

Hey Steffi… I land in LA on the 12th. Where bouts are you staying before Koyoto? and What are ya plans for LA?? I posted a link on your wall on the forum for the facebook group I have created as well :) WOOHOO>> So excited that everyone is getting online haha. Where bouts arwe you from ?? :)

• 25 Feb 2013 Steffi said

Steffi

I’m from Canberra.. Awesome bout the Facebook group ill go and join now! I haven’t booked my hotel in Hollywood yet, I have been busy paying off other hotels and tours :-p but I’m looking at places in west Hollywood and Hollywood.. I’m hoping to go to universal and if there are any shows taping see that.. And would love to do a stars home tour.

• 25 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

Cool as. There are a few of us keen for the Hollywood tour now then woo. Im goig to do Universal in Orlando when we are there.. its apparently apart of the tour or something haha. I posted a link to your wall for the facebook group.. did you find it??
    :)

• 25 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

Yes yes you did lol

• 25 Feb 2013 Emma said

Default_avatar

Hey Steffi =) nice to meet ya.
    Well, ill be in NY at the end of the tour for 4 nights so im keen to do share accommodation again Lisa and/or Steffi =) have you looked into NY accommodation in NY yet Steffi?
    Ive just joined the fb page also. Not entirely sure of my LA plans, might tag along with you guys but ill be going back there after so ill see how it goes =)

• 25 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

I also dont have any accomdation for NY so sharing would be sweet.. but I onyl need 2 nights accomodation so yes :)

• 25 Feb 2013 Shauna_22 said

Shauna_22

Hey guys! Like I said, my name is Shauna :) So many posts since I last made a post :) It seems I am the only one not from Aus! I am Canadian and will be travelling with another Canadian as well! It’s so lovely to get a discussion going. I am SO excited for this tour, even if mine only goes as far as New Orleans. Wish I could go all the way to NY but time restrictions allows me to do so :( I would too love to be in the facebook group!! My friend and I are landing in LA on the 12th of Aug and would like to do so much before the tour even starts!! We haven’t booked our hotel yet, so hoping to get that in order asap.

• 26 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

Hey Shauna.. Awesome to have some canadians on board haha… you guys are more then welcome to join our Forum. the link is http://www.facebook.com/groups/133862670118178/ . At the moment a few of us are planning a trip to Disneyland on the 13th and a hollywood homes and attractions tourr thing on the 14th. Would love for you guys to join us if your free. anyway jump on the forum when you get the chance so we can all get chatting :)

• 26 Feb 2013 Steffi said

Steffi

Hey Emma.. I have been looking at NY accommodation for months now and still haven’t found one that is affordable! I want to stay near time square and everything is like $250 plus a night. Have you found any good hotel for NY? I’ve ditched my travel agent and just booking all my accoomations threw sites like Priceline.com and orbitz.com I have got some great deals for hotels later in my trip.

• 26 Feb 2013 Emma said

Default_avatar

Hey Steffi. Not so much luck on the hotel side of things. Im waiting for an email from my travel agent about different hotels. I would like to be pretty central also because i want to do NY tours and i think the majority ive seen leave from the times square area or close to it. My travel agent told me that we finish our tour at the Courtyard Hotel in the upper east side and its like $250 per night also (twin share), so maybe thats the one your talking about also. I havent looked into the websites yet but ill give them a look =) I think ill probably call contiki and see what they say about hotels, hopefully they’ll help. =)

• 26 Feb 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

I’m definitly keen to share a room with someone in NY at that garden joint if anyone is interested! howd you go with accomodation in LA Emma?? so bloody expensive aye. its rediculious!

• 26 Feb 2013 Emma said

Default_avatar

Yeah im keen to share a room Lisa and in LA if your interested? Whats the garden joint sorry?? Im still waiting on an email from my travel agent about hotels for both LA and NY. Hopefully i recieve something in the next couple of days =) Im finding that accommodation prices is worse in NY than LA though. Ive been in touch with someone that is going on my second contiki and she did the Grand Southern last year, so ive asked her for any tips/must see’s, etc. Will forward with her info =)

• 26 Feb 2013 Steffi said

Steffi

That’s a really great idea to call Contiki… I don’t think ill stay at the Contiki hotel in NY it’s to expensive twin share when you can get a hotel room to yourself closer to time square for the same price.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.