Community_discussions_small  

Question

Rockies & Stampede then working holiday!

17 Feb 2013 Alex asked

Default_avatar

Hey everyone,
I'm doing the Canada and Rockies + Calgary Stampede tour on the 7th of July 2013 and then I'm embarking on a working holiday, probably starting in Vancouver. I'm going alone so looking for all the help/advice/friends I can get before I go! So if anyone is doing the same thing or has any tips for finding work/accommodation it would be greatly appreciated. And even if you're just doing the tour, I'd love to hear from you because this is my first big solo trip :-)
Cheers, Alex
(21yo Aussie female)

• 2 Mar 2013 juana1010 said

Default_avatar

Hi Alex,

I did the Canada and the Rockies trip a couple of years ago and I loved it. I went at the end of May and it was cold in Alberta – about 30F and snowing. I am not sure how the weather is in July, but I would check before you leave. A lot of the people from Australia on the tour did not come prepared and were freezing. It also rains a lot in Vancouver so an umbrella is a must.

Also note that this tour is a very outdoorsy tour so I wouldn’t bother bringing a lot of fancy clothes. Sneakers are a must. Casual clothes that you can hike, bike, etc. in are definitely a must as well.

• 16 Mar 2013 lisa_r said

Default_avatar

Hi Alex,
    I’m actually doing this tour as well (although I’m booked on the tour that leaves on the 6th July). When do you get into Vancouver before the tour?
    I can’t wait, think the tour will be amazing!! I have a feeling that both our tours might end up meeting up somewhere along the way so that would be cool.

• 16 Mar 2013 Alex said

Default_avatar

Juana1010, thanks so much for the advice! I’m in a warmer part of Australia so I have a feeling that anything in Canada is going to be cold for me so I’ll definitely have to pack some warm clothes.

Hi Lisa! I get into Vancouver on the 3rd, figured I’d want a couple of days to get over the jet lag (haven’t done a huge trip like this before so it’s going to be interesting!). When do you get into Vancouver? I’m so excited!! Everything just looks so beautiful over there, I can’t wait to see it.

• 16 Mar 2013 lisa_r said

Default_avatar

Hi Alex, I’m the same, wanted a few days to get over the jet lag before the tour and to get a bit of a taste for the city. I land in Vancouver on the 2nd July. I’m super excited as well, it does look beautiful. Counting down already!

• 1 Apr 2013 Chris_Per said

Default_avatar

Hi Guys
    I am on the Canada and the Rockies with Stampede tour Departing 6th July, prior to that I am doing the Grand Southern departing the 6th June, I will be spending a couple of nights pre-tour in Vancouver, after flying over from New York. I did the New York Uncovered and the Grand Northern tour last year in 2012 and looking forward to doing the Grand Southern and Rockies and Stampede this year!!

• 2 Apr 2013 lisa_r said

Default_avatar

Hi Chris,
    Awesome, welcome aboard! :) I’m also spending a few nights in Vancouver prior to the tour. We should all arrange at some point to catch up prior to the tour starts so we sort of all know each other. Are you travelling on your own or with someone else? My last Contiki was in Europe but I had a blast, best times of my lifes whilst on Contiki. So looking forward to doing the Rockies & Stampede shortly.

• 3 Apr 2013 Alex said

Default_avatar

That is so awesome! We should definitely organise to catch up beforehand. I wonder if our groups will meet up somewhere along the line. If not, oh well :-) Are either of you spending time in Vancouver/surrounding area after the tour is finished?

• 3 Apr 2013 lisa_r said

Default_avatar

Hi Alex,
    Awesome, yeah let’s do it. I’m hanging around in Vancouver until the afternoon of 21st July then I fly back home. So still some time to check everything out again aftewards.

• 4 Apr 2013 Alex said

Default_avatar

Cool! Well, I fly in on the 3rd of July and I’m staying at a hostel in Downtown until the tour so I’m free any time then :-)

• 7 Apr 2013 Kenneth said

Kenneth

Hi, Alex I will be on your tour.
    However I will be arriving the night before the tour then heading to las Vegas after it.
    And then on to more of the USA.
    On my last major trip I found that you can avoid jet lag if you prepare by staying up really late a few nights before you leave and get some sleep on the plane.
    My best tip for travel is make sure you have good walking shoes with good grip on the soles especially if there is any ice.

• 7 Apr 2013 Chris_Per said

Default_avatar

Hi Lisa, Alex, Kenneth

I will be flying in from New York on the 4th July then leaving Vancouver on the 20th July, so I have a few days before and after the tour in Vancouver.. I did Grand Northern and New York Uncovered with a friend throughout the USA and Eastern Canada last year, I will be travelling solo on this trip, really looking forward to the Rockies and Stampede should be awesome.

Where is everyone from, I am from Perth Australia.

• 7 Apr 2013 lisa_r said

Default_avatar

Hi Alex, Chris & Kenneth,
    Alex, awesome we will definitely make sure to catch up before the tours start – maybe even view a bit of the city together, do the touristy things :)
    Chris, fantastic, we will make sure that we can all catch up before the night prior to the tour starting, always nice to know a face or two before the tours start. I’m from Auckland, NZ, I have a feeling the tour will be pretty well Aussie based people, hopefully there are a couple of other people from NZ too :)
    Kenneth, thanks for the tips. Always appreciated!!!
    3 months and counting down everyone, I can’t wait!!!
    :)

• 8 Apr 2013 Alex said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the tips Kenneth. Yay to finally having some people on our tour!
    Lisa, that sounds like a fabulous idea :-) where are you staying when you get to Vancouver? It’ll be really good to have another foreigner to explore the city with haha!
    Chris, I’m from Brisbane. Definitely going to miss the sunshine here!
    I’m sooo excited for this trip, it’s going to be great!!

• 8 Apr 2013 lisa_r said

Default_avatar

Cool. I’m staying at the Sandman Hotel for my time before and after the tour – think its also the ‘Contiki’ hotel and is where the tour starts and finishes at. Where are you staying? Awesome, I love the idea, we can be foreigners together!
    Can’t wait either!

• 19 Apr 2013 reinie kennedy said

reinie kennedy

hey alex im booked for the 7th tour how many are on it I cant check in till me passport comes back!! haha

• 27 Apr 2013 Alex said

Default_avatar

Lisa, I’m staying at the HI Vancouver Central hostel on Granville Street. We’ll have to organise meeting up a bit closer to July – it’s not long now!!
    Hi Reinie, welcome to the tour! I think there’s only about 4 or 5 people who have joined the MeetUp group so far so I don’t know how many people there will be on the tour. Where abouts are you from?

• 21 May 2013 Will said

Will

Hi all, I’m booked in for the tour on the 7th.. I’m a kiwi but already in Canada working in alberta so will be flyong from calgary if anyone else is? And will be staying at the sandman before and after the trip. Would be good to catch up the day or evening before with anyone who is keen.. For those flying long haul into Vancouver and are worried about jet lag I suggest wearing anti dvt socks (flight socks), they are cheap from Kathmandu and do the trick..

• 22 May 2013 Kenneth said

Kenneth

Gday Will, I will be at the sandman the night before the tour after arriving from some very long flights.
    However jetlag or not I will be checking out the city the night before tour.
    If a few want to catch up for a drink that night I am up for it. (not to late however)
    I am curious, how do the socks help?

• 24 May 2013 Will said

Will

Yeah a drink the night before would be good to catch up with everyone before the tour departs.. Just looking at flights now and I see the hotel check-in isn’t till 4pm so wondering about turning up earlier in the day but don’t wanna lug my bag around with me, anyone got any suggestions? I find the socks are good because they are ment to prevent DVT and blood clots, as well as reducing the fluid build up in your legs so you get less swelling, making the few days after the long haul flight a little more pleasant. I have flown without them and with them and for me it works but may not work for everyone.

• 26 May 2013 Kenneth said

Kenneth

Check with the hotel before you go, they may hold it for you as they should have a luggage storage room anyway.
    Socks sound like a good idea, however for me I aways pay that little extra to get a door seat for long flights so I can stretch my legs.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.