Community_discussions_small  

Question

Winter Wanderer - December/January: ideal clothes?

23 Feb 2013 SonjaMartin1 asked

SonjaMartin1

I live in the tropics and have no winter clothes suitable for a European winter. I was wondering if it would be better to wait until I arrive in London to buy clothes, or are there any online sites you'd recommend to buy from? Cheers!!

• 21 May 2013 Katie said

Katie

Hi there! I’m also doing the winter wander, leaving december 11th. I’ve never been to Europe and I live in QLD, Aus, so I’m in the same boat! But my plan is to take a couple pairs of good jeans, a few pairs of flox (fleece lined leggings), 2 good coats – a duck down parka type jacket, and a nice wool coat; and I plan on going to a camping store to get some thermal clothing. And from what I’ve been reading, we’ll do a LOT of shopping over there, so I’m gonna tryyyy and pack mega light haha. Hope this helps!

• 21 May 2013 Clancy said

Clancy

Hi Guys,
    I did the Winter Wonderer 2010 and essentially could not find much in the way of appropriate winter clothes online or in Australia (I did buy one pair of very expensive skin coloured thermals which did not wear so well over there btw), so I went over with an empty back pack, brought a whole winter wardrobe over there, and came back with a full suitcase. I spent my first 4 days in London shopping (which was just the best btw). It was just the simple things like their jeans are thicker, the knee high boots I brought had lining, their thermals are everywhere and so cheap, and their ‘light’ cotton under tops now make up a fair chunk of my now Aus winter wardrobe. I brought two nice thick coats too (one black and one grey) and sadly don’t get much chance to wear them in Aus.
    But I guess my 2 pieces of advice would be, buy over there, you wont look like a tourist unless you buy I Love “….” shirts (I didn’t get pick pocketed whilst other on my tour wearing ski jackets did) and wear flat knee high boots – you can fit you passport, phone, small wallet in them, you can water proof them and they’re warm, and they’re so damn comfortable for all the walking you will be doing!! ….Best….idea…ever….

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.