Community_discussions_small  

Question

Travel Blog- European Contrasts

23 Feb 2013 Giselle asked

Giselle

Hiya everyone,

I did the 29 day European Contrasts tour and it was the best time of my life!! When I first organised my trip to Europe I read through so many different travel blogs and they really helped me plan my trip as well as build up my excitement. So I decided to make one, so that if anyone was to come across it hopefully it would help them to. Also show a first hand experience of how amazing contiki is!

My blog is: giselletravels.tumblr.com

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

• 24 Feb 2013 Keirra said

Keirra

Loved your blog!

Just wanted to ask roughly how much spending money you took? And did you have too much or not enough?

• 25 Feb 2013 Giselle said

Giselle

Thanks :) I budgeted $100 a day, which worked out to something like 70 Euros a day. In the end, for contiki I saved $4000 spending money but only ended up spending $2500 (I hardly bought anything).

Its different for everyone though, and really depends on how you plan to spend your money. The girls I travelled with budgeted about the same and one of them ran out of money before our contiki had even finsihed and the other had only 200 Euros left for the last few days we we’re in Europe.

For me personally, I had saved more then enough. I held back alot with my spending because I was worried I’d run out and there were some occasions I regretted it. But that was only with souvenirs and what not. I still did nearly every optional and spent alot of money on alcohol, taxis and food.

The best advice I can give you is to over budget!! That way you have a back up just in case and if there is something expensive you want to get, you won’t feel so bad about getting it.

• 3 Mar 2013 Keirra said

Keirra

Ok thanks for the advice :)

Also you didn’t happen to do a packing list did you?
    I’m more interested in the warmer clothes you packed – and when you needed them/how cold was it?

• 13 Mar 2013 Giselle said

Giselle

I packed all the wrong things! I didnt end wearing majority of the clothes I packed. I ended buying clothes there and wearing that instead. It depends what season youre going in. I went in Summer and lived in dresses the whole time. We did go to some cold places, and there I just wore jeans,a t-shirt and jackets/jumpers.

If you’re going in Summer, I’d bring one thick jacket, a jumper, and maybe two pairs of pants. I mostly wore my jeans and cargo pants, and had one thick jacket that I wore in the snow and in London. Other then that I just had a cardi and a hoodie. I packed alot of winter clothes because I thought it would be cold in London, but like I said I didnt end up wearing any of it. I pretty much lived in the same clothes the whole time, like everyone else. It was only really cold in the last few places we went to, so Switzerland, Austria and Amsterdam.

• 18 Mar 2013 James T said

James T

Hey Giselle. Great blog. I’m doing the same tour in 3 weeks and you blog got me super excited.

I didn’t really have a question just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to detail your experience, I’m sure it took considerable time and you deserve a pat on the back.

Love your work.

-James

PS: Rhys, grrrrrr, lol.

• 18 Mar 2013 James T said

James T

Hey Giselle. Great blog. I’m doing the same tour in 3 weeks and you blog got me super excited.

I didn’t really have a question just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to detail your experience, I’m sure it took considerable time and you deserve a pat on the back.

Love your work.

-James

PS: Rhys, grrrrrr, lol.

• 18 Mar 2013 Giselle said

Giselle

Hahahaha, Thank you James. I really appriciate that, I’m glad you liked it :)
    Ahh 3 weeks, I’m so jealous, I hope you have the most amazing time!!
    Thanks again :)

• 21 Mar 2013 ZubazWrestler said

ZubazWrestler

I also enjoyed your blog, I am just going on the 9 Day European Magic tour (Couldn’t get enough time off work to do more) and your blog got me excited. I loved how much detail and time you put into your blog and appreciate it. Hope you get to do another one eventually.

• 27 Mar 2013 brittany said

brittany

Awesome blog Giselle! I am going on this tour on May 19th! I am stressing over packing and money. I have estimated the same, about $100/day. But I was interested on how much you spent on alcohal lol. It seems like that was where the majority of it went? Which i am totally ok with, but here in Vancouver going out for drinks is like $8/drink type thing. Is it similar or more affordable when travelling? As for packing, did most girls bring heels? I wasnt even thinking about that. I am more of a flip flop kind of person and can walk for miles in them, and go out in them. Is that suitable? I am sure I will have more questions. but thats it for now!!

thanks!!
    -Brittany

• 3 Apr 2013 Giselle said

Giselle

Thanks Guys, I’m glad you enjoyed it :)

Brittany, majority of my money did go to food and alcohol haha. I would have no idea how much of it did though lol. Some of the places we went to the alcohol was cheaper then here in Aus, such as in Prague, but in others it was a little pricy. Its touch and go I guess. However in Euorpe they free pour so thier drinks are so much stronger! The drinks at the contiki sights are resonably priced. I’d say that its about similar. Buying bottles is cheaper though, when you get a chance to get some at a liquor store, do it. You can save money by pre drinking. I bought a bottle of gold flaked vodka for 30 Euros on the ferry to Paris and it lasted me till Rome.

As for packing, alot of girls did brings heels. I only had one pair though and wore them once, if i was to do it again I wouldnt bring any. I lived in flip flops the whole time!! As did most people. Its pretty casual when you go out so you can get away with it. I’d just bring a nice pair of flats and/or sandals to wear out.

• 3 Apr 2013 Keirra said

Keirra

So you can buy the duty free alcohol on the first ferry and drink it along the trip?
    Is this pretty cheap? Or do you think buying it from a liquor store at the other stops?

• 4 Apr 2013 Giselle said

Giselle

You can buy it on the first ferry. It is fairly cheaper, can’t remember how much cheaper though. If you wanna buy drinks I’d buy at least one bottle on that ferry because it will come in handy for pre drinks in Paris and Beaujolais wine region. Like I said the bottle I bought lasted me a while. There are plenty of opportunities to buy drinks at liquor stores and other shops along the way. Prague was the cheapest, we went into a grocery store and I kid you not they had a bottle of absinthe for 180CZK, which is like 7 euros or something crazy like that. I definitely works out cheaper then buying drinks when you’re out.

• 17 May 2013 KateNZ92 said

KateNZ92

Thanks so much for your blog! It was brilliant, I’m going on the same tour on the 4th of June, and reading that just amplified my excitement by about x1000000, ahh.

• 21 May 2013 DemiAnn said

DemiAnn

Thanks Giselle! I am going on the same tour in 42 days and I am SO EXCITED after reading your blog :) thanks for taking the time to write it!

• 24 May 2013 rajank said

Default_avatar

Great blog, mate!! the back ground mountain pictures is making your blog more eye catchy. And that Paris Ariel view picture is too good.

• 14 Feb 2014 V Thompson said

Default_avatar

Hi, im just wondering whether the first night in paris gives you the opportunity to go up the arc de triomphe and the louvre etc?

• 14 Feb 2014 V Thompson said

Default_avatar

the reason i ask if because i want to go to the palace of versailles the next day, worried ill miss out on all the other good bits as the palace is a whole day excursion. did anyone on your trip do this?

• 30 Apr 2014 meldavy said

meldavy

I am loving your blog, i cannot wait for my tour in August now! Thank you so much for taking the time to write it!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion