Community_discussions_small  

Question

Solo Traveller - Camping or Concept Better??

27 Feb 2013 NMayhew asked

NMayhew

I am considering doing a Europe Contiki this year (2013) in my June/July holidays. I just can't decide between a few tours though. Out of the few I am deciding between it is about 50/50 of camping and concept. I have never been camping before (normally despise the idea) so that makes me hesitant, however I can do a better tour if I choose camping as it is cheaper. Is there much difference in the contiki experience between concept or camping? Also, is one more preferred for solo travellers?

Much thanks!!

• 27 Feb 2013 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

If you’re worried about money and hesitant to do the camping tour, just delay your tour a year so that you save up enough money to do the tour you want. There’s really no sense doing a camping tour if you don’t like camping. Sure, it sucks that you have to wait another year, but at least you know you’ll be doing the tour you want to do!

• 28 Feb 2013 Todd said

Todd

If you dont like camping, maybe choose a tour more suited to you, maybe actually go camping close to home and see if you like it first and specially that you are going solo do something that you know you will enjoy, i’m going solo on my first contiki in may, i’m exicted but nervous but alot of people do it solo and have a blast, i’m hoping it has the same effect with me… haha

• 28 Feb 2013 NMayhew said

NMayhew

Yeah I completely see your point and I probably will go concept but camping just kept jumping on my mind as a whole new adventure but then if I don’t like it, it will be stuck for the rest of my trip. Good idea Todd about closer to home but probably wont have time before the tour anyway so I think, if I do go this year I highly doubt I will camp haha

I am so nervous as well to do one by myself but apparently there are normally a lot per tour that are solo (all with good feedback) so that will be good :-) I just can’t wait to do one!! :-)

Thanks guys!!

• 28 Feb 2013 Todd said

Todd

that’s okay, yeah i haven’t come across anyone who hasn’t liked the tours, you seem like a busy chick, good luck with whatever you choose.

• 28 Feb 2013 NMayhew said

NMayhew

haha yeah, I certainly feel busy, hence the travel bug that is going crazy!! Thanks!!! You too :-)

• 1 Mar 2013 Todd said

Todd

travel bugs are contagious, i assume you go to uni or something?

• 1 Mar 2013 NMayhew said

NMayhew

Yeah full-time uni and part-time work. Keeps me busy haha

Yess Ive had the travel bug for a long time now and so many plans to travel have been put off so Im kinda keen to just do it myself now as I know I will finally get to go!!

• 1 Mar 2013 Todd said

Todd

No doubt it would, what do you do for work and uni?

• 1 Mar 2013 NMayhew said

NMayhew

I work in a bottle shop and I am studying a Bachelor of Laws at uni. What about you? Do you work/uni etc?

• 1 Mar 2013 Jordan said

Jordan

hey! i have just booked a europe tour. im doing the ‘european trail’ on the 15th of june and im also going solo… so nervous going on my own aswell!!

• 2 Mar 2013 Todd said

Todd

Is it true that if you work in a bottle shop you get free alcohol? haha. I don’t do uni, i work full time at woolworths, you may have heard of it… haha.

• 2 Mar 2013 NMayhew said

NMayhew

Hi Jordan, from what I have gathered a lot of people do contiki solo so thats really conforting!! Im still really nervous as well though – still yet to book a tour haha

Todd: hahaha I wish I did. Just 5% :-( Yes I have heard of woolies haha especially considering I tech work for them as well. I work in BWS but down south you might have Woolworths Liquor (never really paid attention to what it is in other states lol).

• 2 Mar 2013 BlondieFromMtl said

BlondieFromMtl

I did Contiki solo summer 2011! I was never the type to be adventurous on my own or anything either, always did stuff with friends. It was honestly to this day the best experience of my life and everyone was so friendly! I went on the Mediterranean Trail to Italy and Greece and about half the tour was solo, the other half with friends or family. Regardless, everyone goes to meet people and make friends so it’s really not awkward! I’m planning on going on another one this summer to Spain and I also still get nervous but now I know from experience that it’ll be a blast. You guys are going to have so much fun!!!

• 3 Mar 2013 Todd said

Todd

i think i’ve seen both BWS and Woolworths Liquor, though i too haven’t paid that much attention, yeah blondie i think that’s what us first timers are counting on… for it to be a blast, sure it will though, though i find it strange that i haven’t come across a bad review, maybe someone who has a bad review ends up dead? lol.

• 24 Mar 2013 Monique said

Monique

Hi Blondie, i was just woundering if you have booked your spanish tour? I’m going on the one in July leaving on the 8th this year. I’m still trying to find out who in going ( Not to many people on the meet up yet).

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion