Community_discussions_small  

Comment

46 days camping

8 May 2009 mikeyperth said

Default_avatar
hey
im thinking of doing a 46 days camping tour of europe, just wanna no if any one days it and could tell me how it was and any tips they have
  • 9 May 2009 CatherineOz said

Default_avatar

I did the 21 Day camping tour. First and for most make sure you pay attention when being shown how to put the tent up. We were shown quite clearly how to put them up, and it poured with rain that night and alot of people ended up with alot of water in their tents because they didn’t put them up properly-and they ended up with wet packs etc. I think there was even a ruined camera.
    Take some washing powder/liquid with you-I took a small bottle of travel washing liquid and had plenty left over at the end. It’s not good with stains though. I also took a pegless clothes line. But we copped alot of cold/wet weather so I would recommend not taking to many items that can’t be chucked in the dryer. If you’re going in the warmer months though it’ll be alot easier to dry things. It can be hard to find places to put up you pegless clothes line though, though we ended up putting it between the tent poles when we had to.
    Almost everyone (except me!) got sick in the tour, a few people ended up with Pneumonia. It can be hard to avoid, but try and get a reasonable amount of sleep where possible, and eat properly. The food provided was pretty good on our tour though.
    You’re going to be stuck with the same group for awhile, so be prepared for that. We had a pretty good group on our tour. I recommend trying to get to know most of the people on your tour and not just hanging out with the same few people everyday.
    Take your bathers, theres a gorgeous beach in Nice and there was a pool at a couple of the sites we stayed at. Interestingly at the one in Florence you had to wear a swimming cap!
    Don’t eat in the main tourist areas- it’s expensive and the food isn’t as good generally. Go down the side streets of etc. Or if you want to save $ buys some supplies at supermarkets or at service stops.
    I can’t think of anything else at the moment, though I am sure there is more. Oh-carry tissues or toilet paper just in case.
    Feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

• 10 May 2009 inorbit said

inorbit

I actually had a question in relation to the same tour… (the 46 days camping) I am worried about the beds, and also the rain. Im looking at doing the august – october tour, and im worried that 46days will be a long time on a camp bed, as well as if it rains, do souvenirs etc get ruined? Im tossing up between the 46 day camping and the 37day adventurer… adventurer looks awesome, though it misses out on czech, which is a shame.. thats the only reason I wld choose topdeck over contiki… maybe they can work on that for next yr?

• 10 May 2009 CatherineOz said

Default_avatar

The air mattresses aren’t to bad, but I recommend taking a good travel pillow.
    If you put up our tent the right way, nothing will get wet on the inside. The air matresses can feel damp sometimes from the cold but not enough to be an issue. I also kept my souveniers in plastic bags and most of the time left them on the bus in the shelve above the seats.
    I say don’t miss out on Czech, I quite liked it.

• 13 May 2009 inorbit said

inorbit

Thanks Catherine!
    Yeah, I cannot wait to go to prague. I just have no idea. Its so hard to decide between contiki and topdeck, I have heard mixed reviews about contiki but not so much about topdeck. How many people were on your tour? Im worried that a/ campsites will be so far away from the action. b/ the tour managers (which i have read so much about) aren’t always the nicest on the cheaper tours. c/ the cold… with topdeck I have heard that they upgrade you to hostels etc in the second half of the tour (eastern europe in august), do you know if contiki do the same? d/ if you leave souviners on the bus, can you trust that noone will take them? e/ whats the age group like on the camping trips, opposed to the other ones?

I know i sound picky lol but its just alot of money and i want to make sure i will have the best time…. If anyone can give any piece of advice please please let me know! I just need help in making the decision.

oh one last question (so sorry!) How much would you allow for lunches? Topdeck include these on traveling days so that was another reason I would consider them….

Thankyou sooo much in advance!!!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.