Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Feel free to ask me for advice

29 Nov 2007 Loogie said

Default_avatar
Hey everyone,
As someone who lives in New York and has gone on four Contikis, Ill be morte than happy to provide advice. Hope that doesn't sound too weird. really bored at work & need some way to pass the time!!!!

Brian
brij75@yahoo.com
  • 1 Oct 2008 Katy said

Katy

Hi,
    thanks for the offer thought i might take it up i am heading over on the 25t-28th is there anything in particular that is a must see? i was thinking helicopter ride over Mahatten amoung other things idea?
    thanks

• 1 Oct 2008 Erin1104 said

Default_avatar

Advice would be great i will be in NY for a week in Feb 09 just wondering if you can tell me how cold it really is going to b.
    And the same as katy i wont to no all the must sees!!
    Thanks Heaps

• 1 Oct 2008 Loogie said

Default_avatar

Hi. February is extremely cold in New York, probably the coldest month of the year. Expect temps to be about 0c to -20c and expect lots of snow.
    I’d say the must sight sees are the Empire State Building, Times Square, Central Park, the stores on fifth avenue, Rockefeller Plaza, and going to at least one Broadway show.

• 1 Oct 2008 Kimmibub said

Kimmibub

Hi am planning on coming to NY after my Grand Southern Tour in July- what is the weather like there that time of year? Any good accommodation ideas would be great too Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 1 Oct 2008 Loogie said

Default_avatar

The weather in july is hot-around 40-45c. You should look for a hotel close to Grand CFentral Station or Penn Station so that you’ll be close to the subways.

• 1 Oct 2008 lexi said

Default_avatar

i’m there at the end of nov 24th – 29th how cold is it? and secondly are there any festivals or things happening during that time that i can go to?? thanks for this it really helps

• 1 Oct 2008 lexi said

Default_avatar

in general where are the good but cheap places to shop i’m after a lot of suveniours rather then designer gear??

• 1 Oct 2008 Loogie said

Default_avatar

It really depends upon what type of souveneirs that you are looking for,. There are lots of cheap shops on 7th Avenue in Times Square. You can also check out some of the shops around Penn Station which is located on 34th & 7th.

• 1 Oct 2008 Loogie said

Default_avatar

Lexi,
    To answer your other question, the weather can vary in November. There’s a small chance of snow but for the most part expect cold weather and a lot of overcast days. As far as festivals, I would suggest checking out several websites such as TimeoutNY and Citysearch.

• 1 Oct 2008 Loogie said

Default_avatar

I forgot to mention that Thanksgiving is on November 27th which features the annual Macy’s Day Thanksgiving parade with lots of floats, marching bands and balloons.
    Most tourist places and stores will be closed that day.

• 2 Oct 2008 Kimmibub said

Kimmibub

Thanks Loogie for the answer.

• 2 Oct 2008 Loogie said

Default_avatar

Anytime. Besides answering travel questions is so much more fun than doing actual Finance work!!!

• 2 Oct 2008 lexi said

Default_avatar

thank you for the help i am now so excited about the parade and a thanksgiving not really sure what it is something about pligrims and native americans but it sounds like fun

• 2 Oct 2008 Loogie said

Default_avatar

It is a fun holiday as well as a fun parade. Thanksgiving is the commemoration of the pilgrims voyage from England to escape religious persecution to Plymouth Rock where they “supposively” worked together and befriended the indians and had a big feast to their success. Besides the parade, the tradition involves getting togerther with family, and having a bifg meal that is centered around turkey, cranberry sauce and many other side items.
    I’m actually going to be away for it this year, as I’ll be on holiday in London.

• 2 Oct 2008 lexi said

Default_avatar

lucky you london, thanksgiving sounds like a great day i can’t wait to see it

• 3 Oct 2008 Kimmibub said

Kimmibub

Okies how do I go about getting a cab in NYC? I know that there are thousands of them, but I may require one really early in the morning (like 6am). Here in Australia we can just call the taxi company and they send a car- is it the same type of thing in NY?

• 3 Oct 2008 Loogie said

Default_avatar

The best way to get a cab is to have the hotel call one for you. You can try hailing one on the street but I’ve had times where it’s taken me as long as an hour to get one.
    You will always find cabs at grand Central Station or Penn Station as they have stands.

• 3 Oct 2008 Loogie said

Default_avatar

Lexi,
    I really cannot wait til london. 7 more weeks to go!!!! I’m hoping this time I’ll catch a football match & won’t be sick like I was back in May when I was thereFrowner<!--graemlin::(-->

• 3 Oct 2008 AllyJ said

AllyJ

Hey Loogie
    Just wondering what r the best clubs of a night 2 go 2? r they opened every night of the week? Ive been to london its great u will have fun make sure u c a show

• 6 Oct 2008 Loogie said

Default_avatar

I’d say Webster Hall. The clubs are open most nights (most have ladies nights on weeknights).
    It’ll actuially be my 7th time in London. i just love that city!!!!!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.